NFA laws - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
EaglesSJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

NFA laws

I plan on taking my 18" 870 barrel to a machine shop and have it cut down to 14" because I plan on building a gun like this one: http://wilsoncombat.com/s_professional.asp
My question is I know that you have to get a license to do this sort of thing and that license cost $200 I dont mind paying that if its going to allow me to do other things other than just cut shotgun barrels, what other firearms restrictions are lifted from me if I have this? Can I also own short barreled AR's? Also will I be able to get this license at 20 yrs old or will I have to wait until Im 21? Does me being Active duty help any?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

IIRC, that $200 tax stamp will only apply to that shotgun. It will allow you to do just about anything 'illegal' to it, but you'd need another tax stamp for each other weapon that you'd plan on making into a 'destructive device' or 'machine gun'.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
post #3 of 15 Old 11-12-2006, 05:36 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
IIRC, that $200 tax stamp will only apply to that shotgun. It will allow you to do just about anything 'illegal' to it, but you'd need another tax stamp for each other weapon that you'd plan on making into a 'destructive device' or 'machine gun'.
mgertsch is mostly correct. File your paperwork, pay the $200 tax, and chop the barrel. A Title II manufacturer's license on the other hand, (when I had one) was $500 per year, and allowed one (after a nice interview with the AFT agents) to manufacture as many SBS, SBRs, suppressors, AOWs and machineguns as one would like. The only down side was a yearly visit from the ATF (what fun!) and any little paperwork mistake was a felony. To legally manufacture a DD requires another license.

'94 Cherokee Country
Engine: 4.0 HO, Sealed canister filter, 3 core CSF steel radiator, CatCo cat, Dynomax Turbo Flow muffler.
Electronics: Remote start/locks, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP w/XM, Polk Audio speakers, Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS, Cobra 148 GTL P&T w/Wilson 1000.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
EaglesSJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Where can I get this paperwork at? I know I can download the form from their site but then I also need a FBI form for fingerprints. Can I get this stuff from the local court house or sheriffs department? Also do I have to be 21 to do this?
post #5 of 15 Old 11-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSJ
Where can I get this paperwork at? I know I can download the form from their site but then I also need a FBI form for fingerprints. Can I get this stuff from the local court house or sheriffs department? Also do I have to be 21 to do this?
http://www.atf.treas.gov/

http://www.ncdoj.com/

Good luck wading through those sites, but the info you need will all be contained there. Also, if you live on post, be sure to visit you IG's office and ask plenty of questions there.

Derpy Hooves for President in 2012
post #6 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

Why do you need a shotgun with a 14" Barrel?? What is 4" really going to do for you??

OUT WITH THE OLD R.I.P. 98 TJ Sport 4" Procomp lift/adjustable lower control arms and track bar **** Cepek FCII 33x12.50x15/**** Cepek DC-1 wheels
IN WITH THE NEW 05 WK LIMITED EDITION 5.7L
post #7 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

SBSs (Short Barreled Shotguns) are great. I have an Ithaca 37 12 ga. cut to 10" with a pistol grip, an old Winchester '97 cut to 12" (with full stock), and a Rossi 20 ga. Coach gun (double barrel, exposed hammers) with pistol grip cut to 10" (call it "Mad Max"). These are great for use inside--much easier to manuever and more difficult for someone to deflect/grab if they are close. They are pretty handy in a vehicle, as well.

You can chop rifles, too. I have a Winchester '94 Trapper carbine in .44 mag with the big loop lever (John Wayne style) cut to 10" (just a bit forward of the forearm) and put on a big white bead site and Williams Ghost Ring rear--talk about a quick handling brush gun!

'94 Cherokee Country
Engine: 4.0 HO, Sealed canister filter, 3 core CSF steel radiator, CatCo cat, Dynomax Turbo Flow muffler.
Electronics: Remote start/locks, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP w/XM, Polk Audio speakers, Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS, Cobra 148 GTL P&T w/Wilson 1000.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98JEEPTJ
Why do you need a shotgun with a 14" Barrel?? What is 4" really going to do for you??
Are you suggesting he go down to 10", or leave it at 18"? You do lose capacity with an ultra short barrel, and cutting the magazine would be a hassle.

'94 Cherokee Country
post #9 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

I just never understood doing something just because you could.

OUT WITH THE OLD R.I.P. 98 TJ Sport 4" Procomp lift/adjustable lower control arms and track bar **** Cepek FCII 33x12.50x15/**** Cepek DC-1 wheels
IN WITH THE NEW 05 WK LIMITED EDITION 5.7L
post #10 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Dcomf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSJ
I plan on taking my 18" 870 barrel to a machine shop and have it cut down to 14" because I plan on building a gun like this one: http://wilsoncombat.com/s_professional.asp
My question is I know that you have to get a license to do this sort of thing and that license cost $200 I dont mind paying that if its going to allow me to do other things other than just cut shotgun barrels, what other firearms restrictions are lifted from me if I have this? Can I also own short barreled AR's? Also will I be able to get this license at 20 yrs old or will I have to wait until Im 21? Does me being Active duty help any?

Being Active duty might be a hindrance, especially if you live on post. You'll have to go through the hoops of getting it registered on post. The MP's and IG will have a field day with jacking you around to get the needed permission. They may require signed permission from your CO and if you live in the barracks it will have to be kept in the arms-room. Good luck with this one.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98JEEPTJ
I just never understood doing something just because you could.
That's what makes America wonderful! (For now, sort of, at least).

'94 Cherokee Country
post #12 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Ryuu600

unless I'm trying to do an entry I'll stick with my .45 1911 or my CCW weapon, SIG P2022 in .40 S&W.

My .45 is a Colt 1991 model modified by Wilson Combat and is an absolute tack-driver at 25yds free hand. Loaded with 230 Federal HydroShoks I would hate to see the man that took 2 rounds from it in the chest and kept coming. I always prefer precision weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for weapons like Breeching and Assult shotguns but they are more specified. For any sort of home defense I would rather be holding a weapon that would allow me to place a shot accurately should a family member become trapped in the line of fire.

/l ,[____],
l---L Ė0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
'06 TJ X Blue w/dark khaki top, 4.0L, 6 spd, 3.73, 30x9.5R15 Wrangler GS-As mounted on Ravine wheels, Soft-top w/half doors, 4 100w ProComp Offroad lights(2 bumper, 2 windshied), Cobra 29 LTD w/4' Firestik, Custom rear storage box.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 01:01 PM
ronprice

If you feel you live in a neiborhood where you need this type of protection to go tru this hassel I would move. And having one for bragging rights like alot of people due dose not really impress anyone who is worth impressing Sorry just My opinion. NRA has enough trouble helping us keep our gun.They dont need people pressing the laws to have a vanity gun
post #14 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 04:20 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronprice
If you feel you live in a neiborhood where you need this type of protection to go tru this hassel I would move. And having one for bragging rights like alot of people due dose not really impress anyone who is worth impressing Sorry just My opinion. NRA has enough trouble helping us keep our gun.They dont need people pressing the laws to have a vanity gun
Is there a point to this post, other than your opinion of what firearms people should or should not want to own?

'94 Cherokee Country
post #15 of 15 Old 11-13-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
EaglesSJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronprice
I live on an Air Force base, so no I dont think I need it. Its definately not for impressing anyone. I want it because I am a red blooded American who likes guns and loves to collect different variations of them. I just looked at your location and seen that you live above the Mason-Dixon line so I expect some lame liberal comments like the one you made. The NRA doesnt give us our gun rights. People who will fight for their rights as citizens of the United States give us our gun rights. If you dont have any info on the questions I ask dont post in my topic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.