Newb with a new trail idea - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Newb with a new trail idea

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 11-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

Maybe get in touch with john hunt owner of big dogs and chaos parks. He seems like a down to earth guy that may g I've you some insight on what it takes to make it work

60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rausch creek has deep roots in central Pa. For a decent park your goin to need several hundred acres like 700-900 minimum. If your going to do it with a significantly smaller piece of land you would be better off making man made courses which will cost a ton for heavy equipment and contractors. If you can find land from an old mine, quarry, or logging roads that would be your best bet since some main areas are cut then go of and build loops off of those main paths.
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
How much land do you concider enough? If you do concider the area around the va/wv border I would suggest looking into the wv side. Personal property tax is much lower, and everything is more lax when it comes to building and developing.
Well I kinda thought somewhere in the 100 to 150 acre figure......However when planning this I am planning for the long term and don't want to be landlocked on an awesome park with no room to expand. I would like to hear from folks who have a good amount of experience with multiple parks and hear their thoughts. In your experience how many hours makes it a fun day without being too long. I also would like to speak with a landscape architect/engineer to get thoughts on how to maximize space without having people on top of each other.
jross8401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #19
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Rausch creek has deep roots in central Pa. For a decent park your goin to need several hundred acres like 700-900 minimum. If your going to do it with a significantly smaller piece of land you would be better off making man made courses which will cost a ton for heavy equipment and contractors. If you can find land from an old mine, quarry, or logging roads that would be your best bet since some main areas are cut then go of and build loops off of those main paths.
Good thoughts regarding the old mine, or quarry. I had thought of that at one point figuring there would be a considerable break on the sale price for a property such as itself. However quickly abandoned it because I assumed land such as that was either protected or not for sale. I will look further into it.
With man made my concern is that it will take a year or two two "build up" so to speak and look artificial which might do the opposite of what I want and send people the other direction.
The heavy machinery would put a hurtin on the pocketbook but I think that may be somewhat of a necessity anyhow in the aspect of maintenance , extracting vehicles that can no longer roll on their own.....so on
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

If you could find the right tract of land. In my head being about 25%-30% pasture and the rest untouched you could use the pasture for camping, and build a couple mud pits and rock gardens. The untouched land you would then cut your trails.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross8401
Good thoughts regarding the old mine, or quarry. I had thought of that at one point figuring there would be a considerable break on the sale price for a property such as itself. However quickly abandoned it because I assumed land such as that was either protected or not for sale. I will look further into it. With man made my concern is that it will take a year or two two "build up" so to speak and look artificial which might do the opposite of what I want and send people the other direction. The heavy machinery would put a hurtin on the pocketbook but I think that may be somewhat of a necessity anyhow in the aspect of maintenance , extracting vehicles that can no longer roll on their own.....so on
Rausch creek in Pa is a great offroad park and the land was a old coal mine. Out here in Utah most of the BLM trails are on old mining lands also
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross8401 View Post
Well when you live in South Florida anywhere that snows and isnt swampy is a Northern state......
As a native Floridian, I can attest to the mentality that anything north of I10 is Yankeeville. I'm living in south central KY and yep, they're all Yankees to me.

About your other questions, I know a pretty popular place close to me that is like 175 acres and hosted a major compitition last year (And this year, but I didn't hear about it this year so I didn't get to go.) Even got a picture of my daughter with Ian from Extreme 4x4, because it was cool. So, a smaller park can do well.

I will also say, having wheeled there, and a very few other places, some of things I look for, because I'm way new to wheeling, is easy trails, granny trails around the hard obstacles so if you don't feel like trying, or can't, you can still get around to watch others. This is important to those of us who go with guys with much more experience or bigger/better built rigs. WBR had some nice trails and play areas that allowed me to try things, but if I couldn't make them, I could still get around and watch my friends.

Variety is important too. You want someplace where people can play in mud or on rock, or switch between the two.

Other things that I've noticed about the "good" places I've either been, or heard about is having a garage handy so if people need air, water, a jack/jack stands, ect they have access to it. Having a recovery vehicle on site because you will have those guys that show up and wheel alone. WBR used to, I don't know if they still do, monitor a CB channel in case you got in trouble. Cell phone service was sketchy.

Other things that I liked about WBR (read that as a smaller park) is that your trails are close to your LZ so lunch is never more then about 15min away and you don't have to pack it with you. Going some place like Turkey Bay in Land Between the Lakes is a completely different adventure because you have to take your drink and lunch with you because you can get pretty far away.

I don't know anything about legal issues, however, Lynn, the guy who owns WBR, might be willing to answer some questions, but I will say, logically, if the rest of the park is well done, the insurance will take care of itself. If it was too expensive, nobody would have parks. The Dirty Turtle is another newer park in this part of the country, and I believe there were some posts on here, a couple years ago, discussing similar stuff. may want see if you can find them to give you more insight.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
As a native Floridian, I can attest to the mentality that anything north of I10 is Yankeeville. I'm living in south central KY and yep, they're all Yankees to me.

About your other questions, I know a pretty popular place close to me that is like 175 acres and hosted a major compitition last year (And this year, but I didn't hear about it this year so I didn't get to go.) Even got a picture of my daughter with Ian from Extreme 4x4, because it was cool. So, a smaller park can do well.

I will also say, having wheeled there, and a very few other places, some of things I look for, because I'm way new to wheeling, is easy trails, granny trails around the hard obstacles so if you don't feel like trying, or can't, you can still get around to watch others. This is important to those of us who go with guys with much more experience or bigger/better built rigs. WBR had some nice trails and play areas that allowed me to try things, but if I couldn't make them, I could still get around and watch my friends.

Variety is important too. You want someplace where people can play in mud or on rock, or switch between the two.

Other things that I've noticed about the "good" places I've either been, or heard about is having a garage handy so if people need air, water, a jack/jack stands, ect they have access to it. Having a recovery vehicle on site because you will have those guys that show up and wheel alone. WBR used to, I don't know if they still do, monitor a CB channel in case you got in trouble. Cell phone service was sketchy.

Other things that I liked about WBR (read that as a smaller park) is that your trails are close to your LZ so lunch is never more then about 15min away and you don't have to pack it with you. Going some place like Turkey Bay in Land Between the Lakes is a completely different adventure because you have to take your drink and lunch with you because you can get pretty far away.

I don't know anything about legal issues, however, Lynn, the guy who owns WBR, might be willing to answer some questions, but I will say, logically, if the rest of the park is well done, the insurance will take care of itself. If it was too expensive, nobody would have parks. The Dirty Turtle is another newer park in this part of the country, and I believe there were some posts on here, a couple years ago, discussing similar stuff. may want see if you can find them to give you more insight.

Sorry I'm not more help.
Not more help......No man you were very helpful.....You had some very useful thoughts..... thank you.
I'm glad someone else can relate to the Yankee thing...lol
What was the name of the place that is not too far from you where your daughter took pic with Ian. I'd like to scope that place out. Do you by chance know the owner?
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Other options down the road would be using the land for multiple applications. Think hunting leases, guided hunts, campgrounds, paintball fields, places for dog sports (dock diving, field trials, etc.), shooting ranges...... all of these things pretty much use the same venue as off-roading and don't require a huge amount of staff to facilitate or maintain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.