Newb with a new trail idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Newb with a new trail idea

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Newb with a new trail idea

Hello,

My name is Jon. I just bought my first Jeep. I've wanted one since I was a kid and finally have the means to own one. I bought a 2014 Polar Edition Wrangler. I plan to relocate to a Northern state which is one of the reasons I went with the polar edition. I'm learning I would have been better off buying a base model and building what I really want but it's ok I love my new Jeep regardless.

I am looking at buying a piece of property with some acreage. Originally I was looking for the property for personal use. However I'm learning that there are a lack of ORT that can be legally used. If I can find the right size property that is zoned correctly and challenging enough to get Jeepers and 4x4 vehicle's to come out to I might be interesting in developing a new trail.

My question(s) to you guys is what do you look for in a trail. what do other trails not have that you want. How long of a trail is just right.... I'm looking at properties that rest in the Appalachian Range primarily Va., North Carolina, South Carolina, Tenn., N. Georgia. If you had the choice of a "perfect location" what state would you like to see a new trail? How far are you willing to travel from home/with your group for a trail ride?

This isn't a spam email guys. I'm not a company, or organization, or affiliated with anyone else. I'm simply a guy that is enthusiastic about jeeps, off roading, outdoors and most importantly and entrepreneur that wants to build a successful business that I not only love but others will love and I can pass down to my son and nieces and nephews when It's time for me to retire.

Please feel free to add anything that maybe I'm not thinking of. This isnt something that will be complete next week or month. It is going to take time to put together and build it into what my "visual plan" is

Again thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting some of you at your next meet.

Jon Ross

jross8401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Ralphrlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross8401
Hello, My name is Jon. I just bought my first Jeep. I've wanted one since I was a kid and finally have the means to own one. I bought a 2014 Polar Edition Wrangler. I plan to relocate to a Northern state which is one of the reasons I went with the polar edition. I'm learning I would have been better off buying a base model and building what I really want but it's ok I love my new Jeep regardless. I am looking at buying a piece of property with some acreage. Originally I was looking for the property for personal use. However I'm learning that there are a lack of ORT that can be legally used. If I can find the right size property that is zoned correctly and challenging enough to get Jeepers and 4x4 vehicle's to come out to I might be interesting in developing a new trail. My question(s) to you guys is what do you look for in a trail. what do other trails not have that you want. How long of a trail is just right.... I'm looking at properties that rest in the Appalachian Range primarily Va., North Carolina, South Carolina, Tenn., N. Georgia. If you had the choice of a "perfect location" what state would you like to see a new trail? How far are you willing to travel from home/with your group for a trail ride? This isn't a spam email guys. I'm not a company, or organization, or affiliated with anyone else. I'm simply a guy that is enthusiastic about jeeps, off roading, outdoors and most importantly and entrepreneur that wants to build a successful business that I not only love but others will love and I can pass down to my son and nieces and nephews when It's time for me to retire. Please feel free to add anything that maybe I'm not thinking of. This isnt something that will be complete next week or month. It is going to take time to put together and build it into what my "visual plan" is Again thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting some of you at your next meet. Jon Ross
Before you get too far, check into liability issues.

The cost of liability insurance may kill your idea before it starts.
Ralphrlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yea I had thought of that. I understand that there is a ton of liability in this idea. I have to wait to hear back from attorney but my hopes are that most of these place's require you to sign a waiver before you begin the trail. I wonder does that reduce the liability insurance premium enough to offset the the loss vs. income revenue.
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
nixer600

Some states it's allot easier/cheaper to do this then others.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
rasbutan
2010 JK Wrangler 

You're planning to re-locate to a Northern state like Georgia or S. Carolina.

Where are you from, Mexico?
rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Polar edition to move north? Does it come with a fur coat too? Is there a fire place in this edition?

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well when you live in South Florida anywhere that snows and isnt swampy is a Northern state......
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

wasn't looking for a Polar Edition.....just happened to find something that fit my full list of criteria and it happened to be called the Polar Edition.
Unread 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross8401 View Post
Hello,

My name is Jon. I just bought my first Jeep. I've wanted one since I was a kid and finally have the means to own one. I bought a 2014 Polar Edition Wrangler. I plan to relocate to a Northern state which is one of the reasons I went with the polar edition. I'm learning I would have been better off buying a base model and building what I really want but it's ok I love my new Jeep regardless.

I am looking at buying a piece of property with some acreage. Originally I was looking for the property for personal use. However I'm learning that there are a lack of ORT that can be legally used. If I can find the right size property that is zoned correctly and challenging enough to get Jeepers and 4x4 vehicle's to come out to I might be interesting in developing a new trail.

My question(s) to you guys is what do you look for in a trail. what do other trails not have that you want. How long of a trail is just right.... I'm looking at properties that rest in the Appalachian Range primarily Va., North Carolina, South Carolina, Tenn., N. Georgia. If you had the choice of a "perfect location" what state would you like to see a new trail? How far are you willing to travel from home/with your group for a trail ride?

This isn't a spam email guys. I'm not a company, or organization, or affiliated with anyone else. I'm simply a guy that is enthusiastic about jeeps, off roading, outdoors and most importantly and entrepreneur that wants to build a successful business that I not only love but others will love and I can pass down to my son and nieces and nephews when It's time for me to retire.

Please feel free to add anything that maybe I'm not thinking of. This isnt something that will be complete next week or month. It is going to take time to put together and build it into what my "visual plan" is

Again thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting some of you at your next meet.

Jon Ross
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross8401 View Post
Well when you live in South Florida anywhere that snows and isnt swampy is a Northern state......
Except that every state you mentioned is still part of the South...

: and you bought a brand new $35,000+ Jeep to wheel? You must be rich! Shoulda bought a TJ/YJ/CJ/XJ/ZJ...
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Indy

Back OT, lots of folks have wanted to do that. AFAIK 100% of them gave up on the idea as soon as they saw the costs involved. Insurance is expensive, rollovers kill people and waivers are worth the same as really bad toilet paper.

You then run into a double edged sword, if you go somewhere that wheeling is popular, there is probably dozens of places in the woods/mountains for free that are a lot more entertaining than driving around someone's yard. If you go somewhere that doesn't have those locations, there is probably no business to be had as the hobby isn't popular.

And not to be a jerk here, but any track designed by someone new to being off pavement has a low likelihood of being anything anyone would pay for.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

so far many have of you have decided to pick apart every little bit of my original post and comment on irrelevant things. With the exception of 2 or 3. for those of you who have offered something helpful or informative on the original thread, thank you.
For the others be critics if you like. I'm simply exploring options and looking for input from people who enjoy this and would like to see more options out there. as far as "driving around in someone's yard" comment......yea OK....I hardly think 100 to 150 acres of ridge property is "driving around in someones yard" and Someone who is interested in a project of this spectrum isn't going to design and make this on "backyard ingenuity" I would rely on consultants in many forms such as noise pollution analyst, soil pollution, county/city ordinances, traffic flow patterns, traffic influx, erosion plans, and so on......might want to start asking questions before you just assume because we all know what assuming gets us.....
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
bobjp

Unless someone says I succeeded/failed and here's how it's just BS. You would get better advice by contacting the owners of some successful offroad parks.

100 to 150 acres is on the small side. That's no more than 2 hours of off roading.
Unread 11-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #13
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

many of the pay to ride parks around here (wv/va) have you sign a waiver and wear a helmet. they offer yearly passes or pay for the day. there isn't any good parks around south western va or southern wv. the only place within a couple hrs of me is potts mtn which is national forest. there are pay to ride parks in eastern va central and northern wv and east tn and east ky. kind of in a circle around this area with maybe one or two close enough to just make a day of it (still 3.5 hrs away) a park closer to here would be very nice to have, and we have the terrain to make a good one.
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
jross8401
2014 JK Wrangler 

Bobjp - I completely agree with you on needing to speak with current owners. I've put a few feelers out there and networking with some of these independent guys. I see that this has been a struggle for quite a few folks now. Because of this it seems that the private guys are a little more interested in talking abou how to get started and even willing to help you get your foot in the door. Ultimately I want to hear from both sides. It's the guys in the forums that will actually be using the park so if they have and pointers it would be helpful......

Holliewood61 - Thank you for your input. I noticed the same thing as what you complain about regarding the lack of places to go in your area. Your right the terrain in your area is awesome....just need to find a reasonably priced large enough piece of land. I will be spending (11.29.13 - 12.9.13) 10 days in Virginia, West Virginia, Penn., maybe a little in tenn. as well. The purpose of my trip is going to be to scout out theses locations and meet with existing owners/enthusiast. If you want to meet up while I'm there PM me and let me know......I'd be interested in hearing anything else you have to offer, maybe we could squeeze in a ride too......
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

How much land do you concider enough? If you do concider the area around the va/wv border I would suggest looking into the wv side. Personal property tax is much lower, and everything is more lax when it comes to building and developing.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.