New Gaming PC / Suggestions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > New Gaming PC / Suggestions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-23-2010, 02:08 AM   #16
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I put this rig together for about 2200, most expensive parts are the processor and video cards.

1000w PSU (tuniq ripper)
Foxconn mobo
Core 2 Quadcore Extreme (QX9650)
Crossfire (x2) 4870x2's (total of 4gb gddr5 on video alone)
8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram
DVD Optical drive
Bluray player/burner
750gb primary 7200rpm HDD
500gb slave 7200rpm HDD
128gb Samsung SSD
and an external 500gb maxtor hdd for extra crap I don't need direct access to.
22" Dell Glossy flat panel w/2mp webcam and mic (has 1.8ms latency amongst other things, hell of a gaming screen)
G5 (older logitech gaming mouse, but have had it a few years and refuse to part with it lol)
Seal Shield keyboard (like it because can't get any crud under the keys)
All crammed into a Dell Inspiron 530 case, water cooled internals

Lot of the parts I picked up for free or cheap for doing various network jobs/website design for people, ie. the Samsung SSD I got free for a job I did. Can play Crysis on max settings at a little over 140fps avg @ 1680x1050. Building your rig is definitely the way to go though as far as bang for the buck goes.

[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #17
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Guys!! I've been in IT for 15 years - 9 of it in engineering, 2 of it in operations, and the last 4 in management and I have NEVER paid over $1500.00 for a gaming computer! Y'all are making it WWAAAAYYY to complicated.

First of, Unless you are calculating weather models for 6 months to a year out for 3 continents at the same time, you will N E V E R need 10 Gb of RAM. 2 Gb was the max for XP, 4 Gb is excellent for Windows 7 (which I HIGHLY recommend for those that are linux challenged). Yes, you can over clock your video card, but WHY? when you can get two and run them in SLI mode. I would recommend an Nvidia based card only because ATI hasn't developed good linux drivers yet But the ATI based cards work well in Windoze. Put your money into a good CPU (Intel processors run faster (not THAT much faster, but faster) than the AMD processors, but they also run hotter than the AMDs. Back in the day, Intel ran circles around the AMDs, but not the case today. Get a fast hard drive - many time gamers get mad cause their system is lagging and its the transfer rate between the hard drive and the motherboard. Get a good video card, do some research. Check the games you play - all the games I play are coded to work better with Nvidia - so I went with Nvidia. My daughter's pc has an ATI 4850 card in it - it does what she needs and more and works best with her games. And finally, get a really good monitor. You will be amazed at what a difference a good monitor makes.

So, to sum this long post up:

Spend money on:
Hard drive, video card, monitor, cpu

RAM - 2 Gb minimum - 6 Gb overkill - 4 Gb just right

Motherboard - Asus has best record on overclocking and reliability

CPU Intel is slightly faster, runs hotter, and more $$ - But that's what all the cool kids buy

Monitor - get the best one you can afford - you won't regret it.

and buy from Newegg.com - I don't work there, but been buying my parts there for 8 years now - can't go wrong.

Cheers and happy gaming. Oh - the games I play: COD4MW, CODMW2, LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online), Left For Dead, Anything Command & Conquer, Tiger Woods Golf, Nascar Season 2k3 (I'm a diehard driving junkie), FarCry 2, and others.
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #18
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

I just bought a 23" Acer monitor from NewEgg last week (and Windows 7.) I really like the monitor, it's super clear, had no dead pixels, and I haven't had any problems from the stand.

I use NewEgg for all my computing purchases, and I also recommend building your own system.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #19
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
First of, Unless you are calculating weather models for 6 months to a year out for 3 continents at the same time, you will N E V E R need 10 Gb of RAM. 2 Gb was the max for XP, 4 Gb is excellent for Windows 7 (which I HIGHLY recommend for those that are linux challenged).
I'd say 4GB is a little modest given the cost of RAM these days unless you're sticking to 32-bit. If you're running x64, you can go with 8GB for fairly cheap and really let Superfetch go to work if you have a lot of apps you regularly use, particularly large photo and video editing.

Quote:
Yes, you can over clock your video card, but WHY? when you can get two and run them in SLI mode.
Most newer Nvidia cards have two GPU's, so you can get SLI performance out of a single card.

Quote:
Put your money into a good CPU (Intel processors run faster (not THAT much faster, but faster) than the AMD processors, but they also run hotter than the AMDs. Back in the day, Intel ran circles around the AMDs, but not the case today.
Today's chips rely on more efficient instruction sets crammed onto smaller dies with shorter trace routes, so clock speed comparisions aren't really relevant anymore as CPU's do more work per clock cycle (working smarter instead of harder).

Quote:
And finally, get a really good monitor. You will be amazed at what a difference a good monitor makes.
This I'll agree with as it has a direct effect on your overall experience since you have to look at it the entire time you're using a PC. Much like a chair, you want it to be as comfortable as possible because you'll have to endure it.

Quote:
Overclocking these days is purely masturbation. It's like putting a K&N filter and platinum spark plugs in your Jeep for more HP. Sure, it might look like an improvement on paper but in terms of real-world performance, you're probably not even going to notice it. If your system needs to be overclocked to perform at an acceptable rate, you've built it wrong. To further the Jeep analogy -- like putting a 3"+ body lift on to get more clearance.

Quote:
CPU Intel is slightly faster, runs hotter, and more $$ - But that's what all the cool kids buy
If you're building 'future-proof' for cutting-edge, AMD doesn't have any sub-45nm CPU's yet. If AMD had any sort of commercial advertising like Intel does, they wouldn't always be 'that other brand' and would probably sell a few more chips, becoming more competitive in the two-horse CPU market. Neither one is really 'better' than the other at the consumer level, but Intel will extend the gap again soon. As the dies keep shrinking, heat is becoming less of an issue so it's an irrelevant statistic to compare. Even in my small office with an Antec P192 crammed with four HDD's, two 8800 GTS's, an E8400, two 24" Dell widescreens and various other audio equipment, I barely push 40ºC while gaming and my fans are all about 2/3 speed.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Guys!! I've been in IT for 15 years - 9 of it in engineering, 2 of it in operations, and the last 4 in management and I have NEVER paid over $1500.00 for a gaming computer! Y'all are making it WWAAAAYYY to complicated.

So, to sum this long post up:

Spend money on:
Hard drive, video card, monitor, cpu
Partially disagree, hard drives are becoming obsolete, I encourage SSD.

Quote:
RAM - 2 Gb minimum - 6 Gb overkill - 4 Gb just right
Disagree, as it really depends on what you're doing with the computer.

Quote:
I'd say MSI probably has the best record, but you say tomato, I say tamahta

Quote:
Intel is better for multi-tasking, AMD is better for rendering, facts are easier to understand lol

Quote:
Monitor - get the best one you can afford - you won't regret it.
Touche` Dell makes some good screens, you can get them dirt cheap from their online outlet store, look for one with a latency below 2ms. Got mine for 200$ over a year ago via that route, it hasn't skipped a beat and still is one of the best gaming screens on the LCD market, granted LED is the new thing but whatever.

Quote:
and buy from Newegg.com - I don't work there, but been buying my parts there for 8 years now - can't go wrong.
You forgot Tigerdirect.com, they're both great sites, but always be wary of purchasing online, I've been going via. Newegg for about 4 years and can't say that EVERY purchase has been a cake walk, but they've done a good job.

Quote:
Cheers and happy gaming. Oh - the games I play: COD4MW, CODMW2, LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online), Left For Dead, Anything Command & Conquer, Tiger Woods Golf, Nascar Season 2k3 (I'm a diehard driving junkie), FarCry 2, and others.
I play a handful of MMO's, Crysis (run through modding it as well as playing it) Few driving games, Grid, Dirt, Dirt 2 etc. CODMW/2, MS Flight Sim. X on occasion, and the one that runs the slowest is Crysis, which hovers aroudn 140fps. The whole idea to building my PC as it is, is for one, nothing is overclocked (as there is no need to... yet) and for two, I won't have to upgrade mine every few years. I can sit on it for a good long while until I absolutely need to, which in the long run will save me a hell of a lot more money than if I built a 1500$ rig every other year. Guess it all enlies in matter of person preference.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
robspears
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The games that I generally play are COD, Battlefield, Quake Wars Online, and I have Crysis but am unable to run it without extreme lag.
My problem with the current set up is that when there is a lot of action going on it lags.......during each start up scene for the COD games the progress bar indicating the loading status is very sporadic and the sound will begin to loop.....the scene will eventually load and I can play but like I mentioned earlier during alot of action it will lag. I have had a couple of people look at it and no one can pin point the problem...or they don't really care...there are not many guys in my area that seem to care.....everyones response is...oh its 4 years old just go buy a new one.
If you guys can get me headed in the right direction as far as the mother board, processor, graphics card, and monitor, i will try to tackle this thing.

and i cant say it enough....everyones time is greatly appreciated.
91 YJ. Chevy SB 350 w/ TH350 trans. 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ 33X12.50 MT Baja Claw tires & MT Classic Lock wheels. Auburn Gear-Ected Locker, Chromoly front & Superior rear axle shafts, Superwinch LP 8500.
robspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get a laptop gamer. The new Asus, $999.00 dollars Best Buy. Then you can take it with you. It's in your price range. Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Black - G72GX-RBBX05
That way you have the screen too. It has an excellent user rating. For the money, I think you would be hard pressed to find better in a portable gaming machine. laptop gaming machines do get a wrap sometimes for good reason, but for the money, i'd like to see a better deal than this. (gaming notebook)
But, of course, a desktop gaming machine will allow you to build and repair yourself which has many advantages of course, and if you build it yourself, get the best video card possible for your budget, and yes the Asus M.B.
game.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.