Netflix streaming is kind of nice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Netflix streaming is kind of nice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Netflix streaming is kind of nice

I received a Blu-ray player for Christmas that has Netflix streaming on it. I have to say that the streaming works great. I signed up for a 2 week free trial and already watched 4 movies without a single hiccup - one in HD and all wireless. What can I say: due to a condition here, there isn't much that I can do right now other than watch TV and putz around on the Internet.

I can also apparently stream files from my computer, but I have not managed to get that to work yet. Blockbuster is also an option (but more $) as are both Pandora and YouTube. Not too shabby.

I just thought that I would share. If you are on the fence and thinking about this, it worked great for me.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

I'm a truckdriver and I watch Netflix on my computer all the time, when I'm parked. Works great for me
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
elfamiglia
2012 JK Wrangler 

I also started the free trial with Netflix yesterday. I must say I am a little dissapointed because newest releases are not available for instant viewing. I might cancel after 14 days and try Blockbuster.
elfamiglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Miss Amy

Netflix is great. I'm on the 2 DVD at a time plan and have so far been very satisfied. They have extremely fast delivery and a good selection. I wish I had a setup like yours though, Dakuda. Eventually I'd like to buy the converter box Netflix sells so I can recieve movies instantly on my TV. Watching them on my computer works for now, though. I think I originally subscribed to Netflix for the sole purpose that they have all the seasons of The Office on instant play.
Miss Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

the streaming is even cooler if you have Xbox live.

Same deal, streams through my xbox right onto my TV, you can search movies and everything, then add them to your queue

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

Same deal, streams through my xbox right onto my TV, you can search movies and everything, then add them to your queue
What would be cooler? The annual Xbox live membership fee? I don't have an Xbox.

Unread 12-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
What would be cooler? The annual Xbox live membership fee? I don't have an Xbox.
I dunno? The controller? The interface?

dont' get defensive.

Edit: upon more research, yeah, the interface is cooler.
And the fee doesnt have much to do with it, i use the services that I pay for, and the netflix was an added bonus.

I wasnt disagreeing with you, sorry if my use of the word made it seem condescending or belittling of the blu-ray player.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its not defensive. I just didn't see at all where you were going. I couldn't imagine anything making it 'cooler' on an Xbox. Still can't.

I hate their controller almost as much as the PS one. Bring back the N64.

Unread 12-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
J_Thack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I got the blue ray disc for my ps3 also, but the video quality seems to just as good when I stream movies on my computer. I also use my tv as my monitor, so that may be why.
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

I always stream a movie when I am doing homework onto my laptops other monitor. It is so nice having
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
I received a Blu-ray player for Christmas that has Netflix streaming on it. I have to say that the streaming works great. I signed up for a 2 week free trial and already watched 4 movies without a single hiccup - one in HD and all wireless. What can I say: due to a condition here, there isn't much that I can do right now other than watch TV and putz around on the Internet.
I put off getting Netflix for a long time, for various reasons. One of those was because their streaming service didn't work with Macs - but they charged Mac users the same price as everyone else. I didn't care about the streaming service, figuring I would never use it anyway, but I didn't like being ripped off.

Well, two things happens. First, Netflix started supporting Macs (although only Intel-based Macs), and Blockbuster pissed me off. So, we dumped BB for Netflix. I figured I still wouldn't use the streaming service, but at least I was being offered the same service at the same price as everyone else.

Anyway - wife liked using the streaming service to watch all kinds of TV shows - and eventually, we started using it for movies as well. Now we hardly ever do the DVD thing, and almost exclusively watch movies via streaming. I haven't received a DVD in maybe 2 months. So, I'm agreeing with you - it works pretty well - and surprisingly well (:

We got a little $30 adapter for my wife's computer that lets us hook that up to the TV via a SVHS cable and that works pretty well too. My only real complaint is that you don't have access to subtitles for English language movies - but that is an issue Netflix is aware of is maybe will provide a fix for one day.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
ANGJetMech
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

How well do these stream over the internet? I thought about doing this on my PS3. Does it have problems with buffering all the time, or do you have to wait for it to load a little bit before you start watching?
[SIZE="3"]"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post"
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club- Tail# JF064NG[/COLOR]

[SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Black Bettys Build Thread[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] -----> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=752646[/url][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
ANGJetMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
KHoff90

I was curious about the online streaming. How new are the movies that are available to watch? I just got my family a blu-ray player and am just wondering if we should sign up.

PSN: KHoff128
KHoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGJetMech View Post
How well do these stream over the internet? I thought about doing this on my PS3. Does it have problems with buffering all the time, or do you have to wait for it to load a little bit before you start watching?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball128 View Post
I was curious about the online streaming. How new are the movies that are available to watch? I just got my family a blu-ray player and am just wondering if we should sign up.
Just go sign up for a free trial and you will see (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have netflix on my xbox live but I cannot watch the movies without closed captioned or subtitles. There is no movies at all without CC and subtiles, all but foreign movies. Netflix is looking into and considering to put subtitles online if the "market" is large enough. IMO its bull****, they need to put subtitles no matter what because it will be so much easier for deaf, hard of hearing people to enjoy something same way as hearing people do everyday.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.