Neighborhood thieves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Neighborhood thieves

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Neighborhood thieves

Just the other night some neighborhood thieves decided to strike again (having already stolen my brothers stereo and wallet, and a neighbor's car stereo sound system - within the past few weeks) but this time they were interrupted as they were stealing the radiator out of one of my neighbor's car. Yes, you read that right - the radiator. I've heard of thieves targeting catalytic converters, I've had a tailgate stolen off a pickup, thieves are known to steal wheels, but a radiator? Who the hell breaks into a car just to steal the radiator? They popped the hood, then drained the coolant, removed the hoses and started unbolting the radiator when my neighbor stepped out of her house and scared them off. Didn't touch the stereo or anything else. They only wanted the radiator.

My brother also caught someone trespassing at about 1:30 AM last night but the guy quickly jumped a fence into a neighbor's yard. The trespasser had already been chased out of our other neighbor's yard - both occupants of which are active duty police officers. The street is on edge and some are arming themselves with whatever they have - some with just BB and pellet guns. I have my Bushmaster.

Anyone else have odd stories of things thieves have stolen/attempted to steal?

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Hurley91

Our old house backed onto a creek, and someone broke in and stole my brand new PS2. I was the saddest kid ever when I got home from school to play twisted metal.

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful with them pellet guns. My buddy just died from being shot by one. So, watch where you shoot with 'em unless you're within the law of using deadly force.
BB's, different story.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Some jerk off kids tried to see if the doors were open on any of our cars. Broke into the neighbors across the street. My dad gave the footage to the police and they put it on the news. How anyone is dumb enough to approach a house with red glowing orbs at all corners is beyond me.

image-3954731806.jpg
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
DigitalPhoenix
1998 ZJ 

My work will never learn to install security cameras. I work at a Chrysler dealership and within the past 6 months, 7 Cummins cats were stolen (7.5k a piece). And last Wednesday 19, NINETEEN!!!, brand new Town and Country's and 2 Overland Grand Cherokees were busted into and the radios were stolen. It's funny cause you need a specific code from WiTech to get it to activate, so the ******* kids stolen defunct radios. Anyways, those radios are priced unbelievably high, 3500 a piece.

I was joking to my boss about camping on the balcony with my 700 for 150 a week and he actually almost considered it.

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
DigitalPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

A couple of years ago someone jumped over my back fence, grabbed a ten-speed bike that was leaning up against the garage, proceeded to wheel the bike to the back gate; opened the gate and wheeled the biked out to the back road behind the yard, then closed the gate behind them. The bike they chose to steal was one of three leaning against the garage and the only one without a drive chain. Dumba$$es
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
joeyk803c
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had some punks "break" into my Kia when I still had it a couple years ago. They searched the glove compartment and the car, and ended up taking only the ****ty little Tom Tom GPS I had.

They left behind the OBD2 code reader, and my $100 stereo too. I just had a tendency to always leave my doors unlocked on my Kia when it was parked by my house because the neighborhood never had any issues with **** like that, until some (and I'll keep the few choice words to myself) moved in down the street, along with drug dealers across the street at one point in time.

Now my Jeep stays locked (electric door locks), and is most often parked in the driveway. If they want to slash my windows to get in it, that's fine. My alarm with go off, and before they know what happened they'll get hit with a 2x4 to the back of the knees, then the head.
joeyk803c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
Just the other night some neighborhood thieves decided to strike again (having already stolen my brothers stereo and wallet, and a neighbor's car stereo sound system - within the past few weeks) but this time they were interrupted as they were stealing the radiator out of one of my neighbor's car. Yes, you read that right - the radiator. I've heard of thieves targeting catalytic converters, I've had a tailgate stolen off a pickup, thieves are known to steal wheels, but a radiator? Who the hell breaks into a car just to steal the radiator? They popped the hood, then drained the coolant, removed the hoses and started unbolting the radiator when my neighbor stepped out of her house and scared them off. Didn't touch the stereo or anything else. They only wanted the radiator.

My brother also caught someone trespassing at about 1:30 AM last night but the guy quickly jumped a fence into a neighbor's yard. The trespasser had already been chased out of our other neighbor's yard - both occupants of which are active duty police officers. The street is on edge and some are arming themselves with whatever they have - some with just BB and pellet guns. I have my Bushmaster.

Anyone else have odd stories of things thieves have stolen/attempted to steal?
Might check the scrap prices for copper and aluminum.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Someone got into my moms Toyota Sequoia once, and took 2 quarters AND the little money holder thing they were in that goes in the console. She was just pissed that they had to take the change holder.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
threeb
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ
Someone got into my moms Toyota Sequoia once, and took 2 quarters AND the little money holder thing they were in that goes in the console. She was just pissed that they had to take the change holder.
What's up with that, my 2000 tj was broken into and they took my radio, backseat (two amps mounted to it), my ashtray full of change and slashed the top to get. I was pissed the most about my ashtray it took awhile to find one that matched.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Kids were breaking in to cars in my parents neighborhood a while back. Never took anything really valuable (stereos, tools, etc). They just took all the change or wallets they could find.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Might check the scrap prices for copper and aluminum.
In that case I wonder if they'd be interested in some copper courtesy of Federal Ammunition - I'll even throw in the steel core for free. They can have the brass too if they're still able to pick it up off the ground.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Luckly my neighbor & I are pretty good friends. He's a retired Sailor & during the day, he keeps a close eye on our (& everyone elses) house. We have a couple of loud barking dogs. The worse thing that has ever happened is one of the kids in the neighborhood hopped our back yard fence & swam in our pool while we were on vacation. He's a nice kid, but I'm more worried about something happening. My neighbor ran him off & I installed cameras facing the pool & our front porch.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
XJ2Timer

At least my radiator was already out when they stole it. I had to change the radiator in my daughter's Liberty and I left the old one on the side of the garage. My next door neighbor was having a party that same night. Next morning the radiator was gone. Pretty sure one of my neighbors "friends" helped themselves to it.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
thedude386
2011 JK Wrangler 

When I used to Live in Cincinnati, someone smashed my windshield to break into the Maxima that I used to own. They stole my TomTom GPS that I had. I was pore pissed that they put a hammer through my windshield to get in my car than anything else.
thedude386 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.