Negotiating Price with Car Dealer -
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back > General > General Discussion > Negotiating Price with Car Dealer

6th annual beat your wife to the credit cards sale!!Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sales at JeepHut.comCrawler Conceptz at Black Friday and Cyber Mon

Unread 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
1984 CJ7 
Negotiating Price with Car Dealer

I've browsed some car dealer use lots recently. One thing I was wondering is, offering to pay in full as opposed to being financed a leverage for a better price? I got the impression from some salesmen that they were pushing to finance.

Throw the bums out!

48 CJ-2A, Bone stock except it has Allstate locking hubs.
86 CJ-7, 4.0 HO, AX-15, D-30, AMC-20
84 CJ-7, YJ tub and fenders, 258 ci, T-176, D-30, D-44 Trutracs F/R, 4.27s, 33s
77-90ish Wagoneer/TJ/CJ Yard Sale Special, 360AMC, TH400, Quadratrac, D-44s F/R, 3.07s, 34" LTBs.
Rezneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
1995 ZJ 
They want the finance, that way they either get a kickback from the lender or if they carry the note they will get all the interest etc. Plus if talking finance they can smooth talk the numbers, and tweak figures and slide in some extras like gap, accessories, warranties etc. You would think that cash is king, many times its not, but I'm sure they would still like to make a sale.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
Cash isn't king. I get people fairly often that think they can get deal paying cash. It doesnt matter in the least. Give me $10 from your left pocket, or $10 from your right, and i still get $10. If what I'm selling cost $10, you get it regardless if you pay me cash or the bank pays me cash, its all cash to me. If you default on the loan is the banks problem, not mine. I'm already paid in full no matter what. If what I'm selling cost $15, you don't.

If you're talking about a jd byrider type dealer, they often won't take cash. They intend to sell each vehicle a dozen times, not once. For that to happen they HAVE to finance themselves so they can repo from you later.
I'm the only gay eskimo.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
1998 TJ Wrangler 
I don't trust any large dealership any more. Like for instance I got my cargo van from a small dealer and felt I got a good deal and yes I paid in full. The van retails in fair condition (according to NADA and KBB) for around $4,800 at that time considering it only had 168,700 miles. I paid $875. But.... I had to put $1,250 for a new possi-lock diff too. With that said, I still got by on a good deal. Guy ran it without ever checking the gear lube level. Axle bearing seals do wear out over time and start to leak. Well... usually the bearings wear out and the seal starts to leak as a result. Got over 200,000 and counting - still driving it.
WXJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
1997 TJ Wrangler 
If we are talking New Vehicles Best way to buy is shop their internet site & Deal with their internet sales manager do all negotiation online & shop other same brand dealers & pit 1 against the other for the best deal if Financing is needed go through your Credit Union/Financial Institution,It's harder to shop used vehicles that way though.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
2000 TJ Wrangler 
New: tell them to show you the invoice (that's what they paid for the car), you can try to beat them up lower than that if it's the last day of the month or nearing it, but pretty much best deals come at invoice less the incentives they have (ask what incentives are on the vehicle before you start talking price, some incentives they are not required to give you, so feel free to call a few dealers). You can try and play the pit the dealers against each other, but that'll be more frustrating for you than anything else. New cars are about volume and finance.

Biggest thing I can say is don't be afraid to be tough, but don't be a d**k. It won't help you at all.
00 TJ "Fiona" 2.5" 35" Bajas, MC 6" Overline System, HPd30/8.8
95 ZJ 3.5" lift w/242 swap-Sold
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
JF Admin
1987 XJ Cherokee 
Check out this thread when you have time to give it a slow read. Jeep Buying 101...

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."
COTY 2009

chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.