Needs some career advice/opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Needs some career advice/opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Needs some career advice/opinions

I am 30, single with no kids and a Bachelors Degree. I was never able to land a job in my field of study and always was stuck with retail management jobs that I hated. I recently lucked out and landed a job with a major class 1 railroad here in my hometown. I don't work on the trains or have a trade. I was hired on to drive a forklift in the shops. It's pretty much the lowest paid and bottom of the barrel job for the railroad, next to a janitor. But even so, I still make slightly more than any other job I ever had. Also, in my small town, everyone and their brother tries desperately to get in because a "railroad job" is supposed to have great pay/benefits. So for that, I do feel blessed and thankful. Now I have been on the job for almost a month now and got placed on 2nd shift with odd rest days - Wed + Thur. I don't really like the hours especially on the weekends since it cuts into your life pretty hard - no social life or family events. Also I am not crazy about the job either. Driving a forklift in a noisy crowded, dirty environment really isn't my thing. Now I do like the fact that it is 8 hours and you're done, and 2nd shift is less busy than first. The retirement is excellent and I could retire at 60 after 30 years of service. I also recently interviewed for another job in my field of study and I feel I have a good shot at getting an offer. It's M-F 8-5 and $15k more than my current job on the RR. But at the same time, I would hate to give up a highly desirable railroad job with the excellent retirement. I know eventually with time, I can bid up into a better job with better hours as more people retire. Not sure if I should tough it out and stick with the RR or go for this other job. This is a very tough decision to make. Any of you guys have any input? Thanks!

SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

What other people think about working for the railroad is irrelevant. If you don't like the job I don't see you being happy or sticking with it for 30 years. Are there advancement opportunities with the railroad into a position you would like?
Does the other job in your field have good benefits? If so it really seems like a no brainier to me.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
bobjp

What is this other job?

What is your degree?

People in small towns always have an opinion on what "the job to have" is, but it's usually blue collar work. Nothing wrong with that, but you have a degree so that opinion may not be relevant to you.

$15,000 and not working weekends sounds pretty good. If that isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future at the RR, I would be inclined to take it.
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes you just have to take a gamble, I left a decent paying job to take a lower paying job with great retirement and crappy hours, after 5 years on 3rd working weekends I landed a job in another department making more than the decent paying job I left and work 1st with no weekends.

Biggest question is are you skilled in any way to make an upward move at the RR and if not is there any job there you'd like to have at the RR that you're willing to get training for.
Unread 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Indy

30 years in a job you hate, just because other people want it...

I've never met a happy railroader.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't ever count on a retirement plan that's "promised" to you today to actually still be there in 30 years! Go with the job in your field of study. There will be opportunity for advancement and you'll be gaining experience so you can eventually apply for bigger better jobs elsewhere.

As an added thought... if you take that 15K per year more the new job pays and invest it yearly into a 401K type plan, you will be waaay farther ahead in 30 years than had you stayed with the railroad and gambled on them honoring their retirement promises... especially with the possibilities of advancement and the potential of earning even more income as your career progresses. 30 years is a darn long time when it comes to the economy... companies go bankrupt and disappear.. they get bought and sold... they merge and always revise their benefit packages... the employees almost always lose benefits with every change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
bobjp

An interesting statistic would be the percentage of people who actually received the full retirement payout they were promised at the start of their career. How many people received their pensions? How many social security? How many didn't have their 401K collapse within their career?

I know I don't count on my employer for retirement. 30 years yields many changes as far as I can tell.
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Indy

My FIL's brother was going to retire I think 2 years ago on his 401 backed retirement. His 401 tanked and he's working till he dies now. My brother was a RR for a while, lots of layoffs and unless you're on the plan from the 80's it was mediocre pay. The only good thing was as long as no one died being 'fired' lasted a week and you made more money when you were fired than when you were working. The common thing was to screw up badly right before a planned vacation, spend a month "fired" on a beach making 3x your usual pay.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueTJ View Post
Now I have been on the job for almost a month now and got placed on 2nd shift with odd rest days - Wed + Thur. I don't really like the hours especially on the weekends since it cuts into your life pretty hard - no social life or family events.
Those are some pretty suck hours. I worked that exact schedule for the first police department I ever worked for. I wouldn't do it again. Now, I'm doing the same job, but I'm on my four day weekend. Don't take something you aren't happy with.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.