Need suggestions for a tablet I can root in the $150 range - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need suggestions for a tablet I can root in the $150 range

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need suggestions for a tablet I can root in the $150 range

I played with some stuff at Best Buy last night. Toshiba's eXcite Go was very fast but the low-res screen was off-putting. The LG G Pad 7 was nice as well although a little slower. Both are relatively new and I can't find any solid info on rooting either.

I'm fine with a dual core model as long as it's HD. Being able to root and install Adaway and a few other root-requiring apps.

There's CyanogenMod versions for the Galaxy Tab and Kindle Fire, which tells me they have active developer communities working on making them more useful.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to buy this in a local brick and mortar store for simple exchange options of needed prior to rooting.

Unread 08-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wound up with a $130 Nexus 7 16 GB from http://www.ebay.com/itm/311011741339 I charged it up and didn't even use it prior to unlocking the bootloader and rooting it with the toolkit from http://wugfresh.com Part of the root installs TWRP. I booted the stock system once more to download a nightly of CyanogenMod 11 and the Google Apps archive. It's fast and stable with a bright screen and great battery life. I love it!
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #3
reflex1
2014 FSJ Cherokee 

Samsung has a tablet that was recommended to me by a local salesperson who says it is faster and easier than the Kindle HTC(?) - same price ($199) but was $20 cheaper ($179) than the Kindle when I was looking at them last week.
reflex1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run the Nexus 7 as a GPS In My Polaris RZR using Back Country Navigator I have been happy with the Nexus 7 so far
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That sounds awesome! What case are you using?
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
That sounds awesome! What case are you using?
Just A No Name Case from eBay I don't really need a Waterproof case for My purpose I have it mounted overhead with a RAM Mount & RZR Has a Roof & Full Windshield,It serves as a GPS plus I do have some Music on the Nexus 7 that I occasionally play through Bluetooth speakers & I can still use the Tablet @ the cabin over Wifi to surf the web & such,Quite a few folks on RZR Forum are using Tablets for GPS for the increased screen size & utility some custom trail maps are available at www.gpsfiledepot.com
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

Nexus for me too. bigger screen / more warning for turns and such. Really nice when towing the travel trailer, and she wants to stop for Something.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.