Need sugestions on new EDC knife - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need sugestions on new EDC knife

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

Need sugestions on new EDC knife

As the title says I need suggestions on a new EDC knife that I can also use when I'm hunting for field dressing. Right now I have a kershaw that I really don't like

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
CW Spook
2012 JK Wrangler 

Spyderco Endura or a Buck Alpha.
CW Spook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
tanksoldier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've never liked folding knives. I carry a 4" Buck Woodsman that works perfectly for me.

Army Jeep Club Bumper # C34
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1970

[QUOTE=Hussler;12728204]
Helen Keller on LSD could drive a submarine in space better than this kid could steer his own thread[/QUOTE]
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
guncrazy72
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ESEE izula or a RC3
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What is your budget? What type of blade steel would you prefer? Blade shape?

The first knife I thought of, was the Benchmade Bone Collector Mini. D2 steel, modified sheepsfoot style blade, Axis lock, Made in USA, around $110-120. Pretty decent knife. It is the second from the top.

Here is a pic with the factory walnut scales. Top.

Something more budget friendly, the Spyderco Persistence line. Made in China, 8cr13mov steel (average quality), decent ergos, $30. In the first pic it's the bottom one, in the last pic, the second one.

I'm not a fan of FRN or backlocks, otherwise the Delica or Endura would be good alternatives. VG-10 steel (good quality), I think Made in USA. Spyderco quality. They seem plastic-y and look cheap to me though.
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

Damn I like those bone collector one but my budget would probably be under $100

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buck Vantage Pro. Love mine

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

I'm currently looking at picking up a Benchmade 585 when funds allow. Seems like the right size, solid construction and assisted open. They can be had for around $114 online, less if you look around.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Benchmade 940 Osbourne. I payed $175 for mine, but that was 4 years ago, the price has probably went up on them. I used to buy at least one new knife a year, usually around $50 each. I saw this knife on vacation, and had to have it, I ended up spending the money I didn't spend on cigars to smoke on the beach at night on the knife. I haven't bought another knife since. I don't see the need to, it's the perfect knife. Not to big, not too small. It's not spring assisted because it doesn't need to be, it opens faster than one, and closes just as easily with one hand.

At the time I was a little skeptical on spending that kind of money on a knife, mainly because my previous EDC knives are sitting either in drawers or consoles of vehicles, but it was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Also, their customer service is great. I sent my knife back to be sharpened/lasermarked, and the shipping on it got screwed up. It took a while for my knife to get back to me, but when I finally got it, they refunded the price of shipping/engraving, threw in a $30 tool/sharpening kit, and a code for $50 towards my next benchmade knife. I'm debating putting it towards another 940.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFranko
Benchmade 940 Osbourne. I payed $175 for mine, but that was 4 years ago, the price has probably went up on them. I used to buy at least one new knife a year, usually around $50 each. I saw this knife on vacation, and had to have it, I ended up spending the money I didn't spend on cigars to smoke on the beach at night on the knife. I haven't bought another knife since. I don't see the need to, it's the perfect knife. Not to big, not too small. It's not spring assisted because it doesn't need to be, it opens faster than one, and closes just as easily with one hand.

At the time I was a little skeptical on spending that kind of money on a knife, mainly because my previous EDC knives are sitting either in drawers or consoles of vehicles, but it was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Also, their customer service is great. I sent my knife back to be sharpened/lasermarked, and the shipping on it got screwed up. It took a while for my knife to get back to me, but when I finally got it, they refunded the price of shipping/engraving, threw in a $30 tool/sharpening kit, and a code for $50 towards my next benchmade knife. I'm debating putting it towards another 940.
Nutnfancy sold me on this knife. I want one bad
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjeep View Post
Nutnfancy sold me on this knife. I want one bad
Same I wasn't going to get it until I went bass pro shops and compared it to the cheaper griptilian. Both are good knives, but the 940 is a lot nicer looking, and seemed to open much smoother.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

I bought my son a three bladed folder from Winchester for his 16th birthday. It has a standard blade, gut hook and small bone saw. I paid less than 20 bucks for it and it's the best thing since sliced bread.
The stinker is, I haven't been able to find another one anywhere since, which has forced me to tell him it got lost
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

An affordable US made Spyderco knife that I'm partial to is the Native. I like the non-serrated version, but they do make a serrated one for those who prefer it. It comes out of the box wicked-sharp and has S30V steel.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

finally ended up getting an EDC, i got a Gerber powerframe
knife.jpg  

Unread 11-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Made a new Christmas edition lanyard bead for my custom Alan Davis!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.