Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need sugestions on new EDC knife

3K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  ZeroGravity 
#1 ·
As the title says I need suggestions on a new EDC knife that I can also use when I'm hunting for field dressing. Right now I have a kershaw that I really don't like

#5 ·
What is your budget? What type of blade steel would you prefer? Blade shape?

The first knife I thought of, was the Benchmade Bone Collector Mini. D2 steel, modified sheepsfoot style blade, Axis lock, Made in USA, around $110-120. Pretty decent knife. It is the second from the top.

Here is a pic with the factory walnut scales. Top.

Something more budget friendly, the Spyderco Persistence line. Made in China, 8cr13mov steel (average quality), decent ergos, $30. In the first pic it's the bottom one, in the last pic, the second one.

I'm not a fan of FRN or backlocks, otherwise the Delica or Endura would be good alternatives. VG-10 steel (good quality), I think Made in USA. Spyderco quality. They seem plastic-y and look cheap to me though.

#8 ·
I'm currently looking at picking up a Benchmade 585 when funds allow. Seems like the right size, solid construction and assisted open. They can be had for around $114 online, less if you look around.

#9 ·
Benchmade 940 Osbourne. I payed $175 for mine, but that was 4 years ago, the price has probably went up on them. I used to buy at least one new knife a year, usually around $50 each. I saw this knife on vacation, and had to have it, I ended up spending the money I didn't spend on cigars to smoke on the beach at night on the knife. I haven't bought another knife since. I don't see the need to, it's the perfect knife. Not to big, not too small. It's not spring assisted because it doesn't need to be, it opens faster than one, and closes just as easily with one hand.

At the time I was a little skeptical on spending that kind of money on a knife, mainly because my previous EDC knives are sitting either in drawers or consoles of vehicles, but it was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Also, their customer service is great. I sent my knife back to be sharpened/lasermarked, and the shipping on it got screwed up. It took a while for my knife to get back to me, but when I finally got it, they refunded the price of shipping/engraving, threw in a $30 tool/sharpening kit, and a code for $50 towards my next benchmade knife. I'm debating putting it towards another 940.

#10 ·
JFranko said:
Benchmade 940 Osbourne. I payed $175 for mine, but that was 4 years ago, the price has probably went up on them. I used to buy at least one new knife a year, usually around $50 each. I saw this knife on vacation, and had to have it, I ended up spending the money I didn't spend on cigars to smoke on the beach at night on the knife. I haven't bought another knife since. I don't see the need to, it's the perfect knife. Not to big, not too small. It's not spring assisted because it doesn't need to be, it opens faster than one, and closes just as easily with one hand.

At the time I was a little skeptical on spending that kind of money on a knife, mainly because my previous EDC knives are sitting either in drawers or consoles of vehicles, but it was probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Also, their customer service is great. I sent my knife back to be sharpened/lasermarked, and the shipping on it got screwed up. It took a while for my knife to get back to me, but when I finally got it, they refunded the price of shipping/engraving, threw in a $30 tool/sharpening kit, and a code for $50 towards my next benchmade knife. I'm debating putting it towards another 940.
Nutnfancy sold me on this knife. I want one bad

#11 ·
Same :highfive: I wasn't going to get it until I went bass pro shops and compared it to the cheaper griptilian. Both are good knives, but the 940 is a lot nicer looking, and seemed to open much smoother.

#12 ·
I bought my son a three bladed folder from Winchester for his 16th birthday. It has a standard blade, gut hook and small bone saw. I paid less than 20 bucks for it and it's the best thing since sliced bread.
The stinker is, I haven't been able to find another one anywhere since, which has forced me to tell him it got lost:D

#13 ·
An affordable US made Spyderco knife that I'm partial to is the Native. I like the non-serrated version, but they do make a serrated one for those who prefer it. It comes out of the box wicked-sharp and has S30V steel.

#23 ·
Just gonna add my two cents.

I carry two knives a work knife and a fighting knife. Reason being is I don't want to make concessions to get a combo tool.

Serrations are great for cutting rope, outside of this task they tend to make other chores harder. They don't sharpen easy and I can attest that they do indeed catch on clothing particularly jeans, and you will loose your knife or hurt your wrist if used for that activity. On top of all of that they really make mundane cutting tasks harder.

Plain edge blades are my preferred knife for all purposes. They cut most things easier and are sharped cheaper or easier if you can do your own. They make for better carry knives all in all.

Once that is squared away you might want to give a thought about the locking mechanism. I see far too many cheap knives with liner locks fail with catastrophic results (EMT-B). Don't get me wrong I like liner locks but if the piece of steel used to lock your blade open is just a thin sheet of scrap than you are a braver man than I. CRKT has a great little feature called the autolawks. That is a great idea and works well. A lot of reputable manufacturers will use steel that is at least 1/3 the thickness of the blade itself.

Steel only matters as much as you are willing to spend. If you have or are planning on getting a good sharpening system that 440A,C or even Aus-8 can be maintained. If sharpening is not your thing the exotic stuff will hold an edge for years before you need to pay someone to sharpen them. A word to the wise however, 154CM, VG-10 and CTS XHP require a well dressed diamond wheel to sharpen.

I think I read that you were heading out to pick up a spyderco but this is good info for anyone. Good luck and keep it sharp! :cheers:

#24 ·
China strider PT. I would never own a real strider. Mick is a jackhammer.
This little knife is amazing and has full titanium handles.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.