Need Some Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need Some Help

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-27-2001, 03:57 PM   #1
TJSahara

Need Some Help

I took off my 32's for the winter because I didn't want my brand new wheels to dull from the snow and salt. I put on a set of 31's but lost my wheel lock to the locking lug nuts. What do i do? Am I SOL or can i do something. I tried fitting a socket on to the lug nut but I can't find one that will fit just right. Any advice is helpful, thanks.

Unread 12-27-2001, 04:30 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Some auto parts store carry the replacements.But if they dont carry one for your year model than the dealer will be more than happy to order you one.If you have after market wheels than go to the dealer were you bought them or contact the company directly.
Unread 12-27-2001, 04:44 PM   #3
holmes133

If I read this correctly you have your wheels installed now and need to find a way to get this lock off? If this is the case, I know of a few guys that used to be in the business of "borrowing" wheels and tires if you know what I mean. They weren't friends of mine by any means, but they did pass on a few tricks. You should be able to take a 4-way lug wrench, find the size that barely fits over the lock and pry upwards real hard real fast. This should wedge the lug wrench onto the lock and then you can just spin the lock off. I've never tried it myself, so I don't know if it'll work, but you can give it a try.

2002 WJ Limited, 4.0...all stock...the wife's car!
holmes133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2001, 05:47 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Yep some of my,well" OLD FRIENDS" used to if the lugs stick out far enough used channel locks and vice grips to take the locks off.You sometimes can do this because of the lock you really could not fully tighten it like the other lugs.I in no way shape or form
did this.But have legally!!
Unread 12-28-2001, 08:33 AM   #5
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I used to work at a full-service service station and when customers came in without the key locks, we sometimes just broke the stud off if nothing else worked (like the vise grips).

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2001, 08:38 AM   #6
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my recipe : 4 cheap 13/16 taiwanese sockets
add hammer .Drive sockets on to to locks splitting them most likely . Add breaker bar and take right off. This will do no damage to your rims or studs but you will destroy 4 cheapie sockets .You may be able to reuse the sockets sometimes they conform to the size of the lock .A 23 mm is a good subsitute also .Good luck, and happy jeepin
Unread 12-28-2001, 12:50 PM   #7
bcompton

Harbor Freight has a wheel lock removal kit for around $17. Worth looking at if you don't want to risk damage.....
01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)
bcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:15 PM   #8
mrclean

Just head down to your local tire store. They will have a tool to do it, and will probably spin them off cheap or even free.
mrclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2001, 06:03 PM   #9
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I've come across this situation many times and have welded a nut to the wheel lug - works every time!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.