Need some BMX bike help / info. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need some BMX bike help / info.

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke
2001 WJ 

Need some BMX bike help / info.

So my kid's birthday is next week and we have decided to get him a new BMX bike. I found a really cool guy that is associated with the local race track up in Kearny Mesa that builds bikes and he has two bikes right now that I am thinking about. One is a 2007 Haro F1 and the other is a 2013 Fit Benny 3. Both have upgrade parts on them and are in next to brand new condition. Now the problem is I don't really know anything about what are good bikes and what are crap anymore. Shot Mongoose used to be in the top teir when I rode but they are sheet now. Are Haros still good bikes? I have read some reviews that they have gotten really heavy and their geometric makes them ride funny. I know nothing about Fit bikes. Are they any good? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Oh forgot, he also has a 1996 GT Speed Series that is in mint condition. Nice polished aluminum frame. If it was me that would be the choice, but I am not sure if that is what kids want to ride today.

And before you say ask my kid, one it is going to be a suprise, he has NO IDEA we are looking at new bikes for him, and two, he just wants the "cool" in item of the moment. In otherwords I would be buying another new bike in 2 years if we bought him the "cool" one he wants this month.

Unread 04-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pick one and strip the decals off it. Then hand him a stack of decals from different companies and call the bike the "chameleon".

Then remind him cool is not being grounded and he should appreciate whatever he gets.
Unread 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
jeremyYJ125
1987 YJ Wrangler 

does he ride skateparks/street or race at the tracks?
jeremyYJ125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
D-n-Tyke
2001 WJ 

He is 10 and pretty much rides around the neighborhood. He has gone to the local park a couple times but sees more time on the dirt jumps he and his buddies build down the street.
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
nwiTJdave

I vote for the GT, but that is probably because I had the same one back when I was a sixth grader in 1996.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
nwiTJdave

But holy crap are those Fit bikes expensive. I know it's not my kid, but I would have a hard time giving my 10 year old a $400 + bike.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Honestly if he is just riding around, pick the one you think he would like best. However if by racetrack you mean bmx racing with dirt jumps on a track, then that may be something he may be interested in doing. I didnt find out about bmx racing until i was about 13. I started then, but i wish i had known about it sooner. The people at the track are usually really friendly and will help you out trying to pick a bike for your son. That being said any bmx will be just fine for him to start racing, however a bike meant for racing obviously has its benefits.
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
jeremyYJ125
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say go for an eastern cause there great bikes and there not too exspensive, iv only bought eastern cause of how lightweight and tough they are
Unread 04-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

GT makes good bikes and I also recommend Free Agent if you're going to spend that kind of coin .. $300+.

I bought the Lumen model for my son a couple years back (when he was 9) and it's held-up well. Bike was probably oversized for him at the time, but these things ain't cheap.

http://www.freeagentbmx.com/bikes/street-park/
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I have my old school PK ripper hanging from the rafters.....

Man that was awesome in the 80's!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
jeremyYJ125
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Go to danscomp.com they always have bikes on sale! It's where I used to get all my bmx stuff from
Unread 04-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly that GT is a finer piece than either the Fit or the Haro. When I lived in Hawaii the Fits were popular, but on the East Coast Redlines are are little bit more popular. It's funny that geography plays such a factor in the popularity of the bikes. I don't know that I would want a Haro made past say 2003.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.