Need some advice on a last minute "Tough Truck" build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need some advice on a last minute "Tough Truck" build.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Need some advice on a last minute "Tough Truck" build.

Ok, here's the story. We have been attending an offroad event each summer for a few years now.

This year we sourced a Toyota pickup that we can use to build into a tough truck for the hazard course, rock crawler, whatever we want to make out of it.

Here's the thing though. We only have 3 weekends to finish it. Truck drivetrain is solid, motor runs, axles are good, and I am going to mount my 35's on it for the event.

The frame however, not so good. We need to rebuild it from the middle of the cab back and basically re mount the axle and build a small cage for it.

Does anyone have any good simple truggy designs or have you seen any with a Toyota base. We have a welding shop fully stocked and quite a bit for steel we can use.

We just need something fast and strong that we can slap together in about 4 or 5 full working days. No shocks on this hog, springs with blocks only, trimmed fenders and trac bar chopped in the front. This is a bare bones all purpose off road machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would start reading up on Pirate, they have some amazing fab skills over there and can possibly help you out.

Just remember, read, then read some more, then read a lot more, then ask questions on your readings.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
CJATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXnyj18 View Post
I would start reading up on Pirate, they have some amazing fab skills over there and can possibly help you out.

Just remember, read, then read some more, then read a lot more, then put on your flame suit before asking questions .
FIFY

hate pirate
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJATE View Post
FIFY

hate pirate
What is FIFY?
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
77j20
1977 J-Series Truck 

Get some steel the same size as the frame and extend it back. Doesn't matter if it is pretty right? Just needs to be strong. Maybe get a piece that will fit inside of your extension and the original frame as a brace.
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Hurley91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXnyj18 View Post
What is FIFY?
Fixed It For You
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley91 View Post
Fixed It For You
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see now.

Nah you don't need a flame suit if you show you actually read things, and hell over there no need for questions everything is already there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.