Need a little advice on my first Jeep purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need a little advice on my first Jeep purchase

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
matt320
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Need a little advice on my first Jeep purchase

Hey guys, brand new to this site and the incredible world of Jeepers. I am thinking of picking up a 2003 Jeep TJ Sport but I have a few questions that I would really appreciate unbiased answers too. Here's a rundown on my situation. I currently drive a 2005 GMC Envoy with the 4.2 duratec motor. Nice and strong but it cant pass a gas station without stopping in it seems. I understand that a Jeep is not a Hyundai Accent but I would like to know what peoples thoughts were in comparison to the Envoy. The same MPG's or more? less? I will keep the Envoy as well. I also have a 5 month old son so I was wondering from peoples personal experiences how big of a pain a car seat would be if using it every day. I want a Jeep bad, and I understand that it's not meant to be a grocery getter or a rice burner, (I'd stick with the Envoy for the grocery's, more room lol) but a little advice would be great. I have looked through all sorts of threads and websites and I can't seem to find a common answer. Here's the specs, it's a 2003 Jeep TJ with 110,000KM and it has the 4.0 in it. Its runnin on 33's right now. No lift or other performance upgrades. It also has both tops and the dealer is asking $9998 for it. Whats your opinion on that? I'm thinking $8000 might be more reasonable? I'm looking at buying it this coming Monday pending an inspection and a deal to be made. Anyways, thanks a lot in advance for your words of wisdom.

matt320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt320
Hey guys, brand new to this site and the incredible world of Jeepers. I am thinking of picking up a 2003 Jeep TJ Sport but I have a few questions that I would really appreciate unbiased answers too. Here's a rundown on my situation. I currently drive a 2005 GMC Envoy with the 4.2 duratec motor. Nice and strong but it cant pass a gas station without stopping in it seems. I understand that a Jeep is not a Hyundai Accent but I would like to know what peoples thoughts were in comparison to the Envoy. The same MPG's or more? less? I will keep the Envoy as well. I also have a 5 month old son so I was wondering from peoples personal experiences how big of a pain a car seat would be if using it every day. I want a Jeep bad, and I understand that it's not meant to be a grocery getter or a rice burner, (I'd stick with the Envoy for the grocery's, more room lol) but a little advice would be great. I have looked through all sorts of threads and websites and I can't seem to find a common answer. Here's the specs, it's a 2003 Jeep TJ with 110,000KM and it has the 4.0 in it. Its runnin on 33's right now. No lift or other performance upgrades. It also has both tops and the dealer is asking $9998 for it. Whats your opinion on that? I'm thinking $8000 might be more reasonable? I'm looking at buying it this coming Monday pending an inspection and a deal to be made. Anyways, thanks a lot in advance for your words of wisdom.
Welcome!
First I would imagine the jeep gets similar milage to the Envoy, also it's less comfortable but a hell of a lot more fun.

Next, I am not sure how safe a jeep is for a little one. I would not feel comfortable with a kid in my YJ but that's a different animal. TJ owners could give you more info on that issue, I'm sure they're are a bunch here who have TJs and kids.

The general consensus is that 33's need some sort of lift, your gonna get a lot of rubbing and clearance issues. This set up can be installed, but sucks to drive and is un-wheelable.

Finally, 10k is just too much, especially with a funky set up. Try and skip the dealer and find one locally, or on a forum (like this one!) stock seems like it would be best for what you need it for as the more lift and bigger tires drastically reduces mpg's

Good luck!
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also where are you located, maybe we can help you find a good jeep
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
matt320
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Fredericton New Brunswick. If you google "Toy Store Fredericton" it will bring you to their website. I'm looking at the only TJ they have. thanks again
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

If safety is a concern, just armor it up, and add a full roll cage. Safe as hell then.
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Dan69
2005 LJ Wrangler 

First, nobody buys a jeep because of good gas milage, you will still be stopping at the store.

People buy jeeps because they love them and that's what they like to drive. I currently drive a 2005 jeep unlimited rubicon. My kids have been in it with me since they were about 8 and 11. never had any safety concerns with this one and I don't think you would with the 03 TJ either. Before I had an 84 CJ and that one was for fun and I knew it wasn't as safe of a vehicle for me or the kids, but they still rode around in it a lot and had some good times.

second, if you do buy a used jeep make sure to check it out really well. some people are rough on jeeps and then sell them and you need to know up front most of the problems you are going to have to fix. If you can't do a good inspection of the jeep then make sure you take it to a shop that knows about jeeps before you buy. You would be supprised as what you might find underneath that isn't readily apparent from the outside.

Third, plan on spending money on it because we all do. Jeeps just have a way or parting your money from your wallet buying things for them. That said, I spend a lot of money on mine and so do most other people on here. The more you tinker with them the more stuff you want.

fourth, you sound like you have the jeep fever... buy one you will be happy and justify all the things that most people would think are a major problem ust because you love the jeep. I have a harley motorcycle also, can't justify that one either other than I like it.

Remember, It's a jeep thing and most people don't understand that unless they own one. Get one and join the club!!
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Dan69
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oh and I forgot to mention, when your 5 month old grows up they will want a jeep too..

My daughter cried when I sold the CJ because that was going to be her car.... She loved that jeep and helped me work on it all the time, so I didn't realize it but she was a jeep girl by birth.

also, stay on the forum. These are some great people and you will learn everything you need to know on repairs and upgrades for the future. I haven't ever worked on any jeep things without scanning this forum before I start. The knowledge base on here is incredible...
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt320 View Post

post this in the TJ forum for more traffic and more informed responses.

first off, yes, they are charging too much for that jeep. second, you will almost certainly get worse mileage with the jeep than with an envoy (13mpg is about average). third, putting a car seat in the the backseat of a jeep is safe, but difficult to access. in general, the backseat of a wrangler is difficult to access.

but most importantly: the jeep wrangler is an offroad vehicle. don't expect anything more from it and you will be overjoyed with it.

if you are expecting to be able to drive it on the highway and be able to carry on a conversation with passengers, or hear your music, or not be able to visibly watch your gas gauge drop, then you are going to be disappointed. if, however, you are expecting it to be able to take you and your family camping in comfort and style, to places that you previously thought unaccessable; then you will be perfectly satisfied with your purchase.

when i bought my jeep i knew that it would be a dog on the street and a god among vehicles offroad. i went into the purchace knowing that and as a result, i have never been anything less than overjoyed with my jeep. i can truly say that it has been the best and most life changing purchase that i have ever made.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can hear my radio and carry a conversation with my passengers. I wouldn't hesitate to take a child in my jeep with me. As long as you respect the jeep and don't drive like a dick it will keep you and your passengers safe.
Gas mileage will suck. I get on average 13mpgs, thats 4.0, 5 speed, on 33's.

This is the jeep in question.
Looks pretty clean
http://www.capitalcitytoystore.ca/pr...w.php?id=42299

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The trail blazer is a much ... newer ... vehicle than the TJ wrangler. It's aerodynamic and has a much newer engine design. The TJ is likely going to get worse mileage.

I bought my Jeep because I wanted a reliable DD. Things changed and I ended up getting a small car to DD ... not looking back. Love my Jeep but I like the mileage of my focus better.
Unread 02-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
matt320
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So, I bought the Jeep. Seems like its just a natural thing. Went to the dealer, had my mechanic inspect it, struck a deal, went to the bank, went back to the dealer, gave them the check, and fell in love. I seem to be doing better then what I was expecting based on some people's comments (no offense intended) I put $20 in because it was empty when I went to my mechanic and I got 100km to the twenty bucks! This Jeep is much better compared to my Envoy on gas. The Envoy will fill up for about $80 and I'll get about 300km to a tank from mixed driving. I seem to have caught the Jeep fever...... and I love it

Last edited by matt320; 02-21-2012 at 04:19 AM..
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
raw_speed
2012 JK Wrangler 

Good decision - congrats!
6 - 1990 4.2L YJ
5 - 1994 5.2L ZJ
4 - 1995 5.2L ZJ
3 - 1989 4.0L XJ
2 - 1997 2.5L TJ
1 - 1992 2.5L YJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool View Post
Oh come on, I thought your mom was pretty hot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
I'd like to have my identity stolen, it would raise my credit score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKOHOLIC View Post
It's all good I'm thinking of just gluing some more pubes on it.
raw_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! Welcome!

Tags
first jeep , help needed , help please , jeeper , new buyer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.