Need info about Alvarez Guitar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need info about Alvarez Guitar

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 01-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Need info about Alvarez Guitar

From a friend of a friend... I bought a used Alvarez Model 5045 acoustic guitar. Well... I wasnt back at work 10 minutes and one of the guys was playing it and dropped it and broke the head off the neck...

Even though its broken, I am trying to find some background information about the guitar itself... Does anyone know where I can find info such as wood, age, etc...

Pics to come shortly...

BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here come the pics... It is a Model 5045 S/N 56253

Unread 01-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvarez_Guitars
http://www.guitar-resource-center.co...z_guitars.html
Unread 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

i tried all those and cant find this model number anywhere.... ?
Unread 01-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have an Alvarez myself...not sure on the model number but I could check at home. all I could find with a quick search on the 5045 was that it seems like a 70's model...not sure if they still make it or not. For the neck to snap like that it would have to be an older one...the wood has obviously gotten brittle...that thing needs some humidity bad!!

Looking at other model numbers, It looks like the S/N probably denotes materials (woods) used. The S is for the top (Spruce) and the N would be the sides/back. I can' think of a common guitar wood that starts with N though. You sure it's not an M (mahogany?) That's super common for sides/back.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Tj_Justin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A liscensed luthier could fix that, it looks the break is somewhat clean and a very profficient luthier should be ble to fix that to where this is no sign of a break minus a very small seem in the wood.

Im from Cincinnati and I do this sort of repair quite often on acoustics and electrics, usually costs from anywhere to 70-140 dollars, varrying on wood and time involved in setting the angle of the neck and finishing the seams on the wood. let me know if you have any other questions. The top is defeinetly a spruce top, the sides are a laminate veneer. the back i am not positive of, but likely a rose wood.
Tj_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

the label on teh inside has a Model number of "5045" and a serial number of "56253"... there is also a number at the top of the body (on the inside) of "910263" and there is a red stamp on the inside label that says "Almost Perfect"... you can see it in the third pic...

as for the wood... i am taking it for someone to look at repairing at lunch today and will ask them about it...

the list price as used at the guitar shop was $379... and i gave $120 for it... now if I can just get it fixed ill be a happy camper...
Unread 01-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Tj_Justin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

oh by the way. look for the word yairi. If his name is on that guitar, it was a handbuilt alvarez by a japenese master luthier. Worth a lot of money to alot of people. well at least when he neck was one piece
Tj_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj_Justin
oh by the way. look for the word yairi. If his name is on that guitar, it was a handbuilt alvarez by a japenese master luthier. Worth a lot of money to alot of people. well at least when he neck was one piece
HAHA... very funny!

I know about Yiari guitars and i havent found anything on it like that... the closest thing ive found is "Alvarez Hand Made" on the inside rib...

EDIT: It says Alvarez Artist on the label... so i guess its an Artist Series
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

GuitarCenter wanted $300 minimum to repair the neck... so being the resourcfull guy that i am... talked to another guitar repair guy who told me what to buy and how to do it, so for $15 at Lowe's I now have my new Alvarez curing on a table in my office...
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Gorilla glue is good, but I don't know about its sound quality.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

Do you actually use the Ab Lounge or is it your guitar stand?

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody-77
Do you actually use the Ab Lounge or is it your guitar stand?
personally think its MUCH more usefull as a guitar stand... especially considering what that guitar has been through in the last 24-hrs...

and i was told by the repair guys to get Tight Bond, so i used the tightbond Dark so that the edges wouldnt have a white glue look

Unread 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
pendleton
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As for the wood, I would guess the top is cedar. It looks dark for spruce. If it is spruce, it is a very dark specimen. The sides appear to be mahogany. While Alvarez makes good quality guitars, don't get too bent out of shape if the fix doesn't work. If it was a guitar worth alot of money, you wouldn't have gotten it for the $175 or whatever you paid for it. List price is always way high from what I have found. If you have to get a new one, and are wanting a full solid wood guitar, you can get them for a little over $500. I know the alvarez masterworks are really nice, but I passed on those for my Garrison HG-30-CE. They are a bunch of guitar for the money, or at least they were 3 or 4 years ago. Check em out...

http://garrisonguitars.com/

jp
pendleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

I sold an Alverez "all wood" model for $350 about two years ago. Great tone and action. Almost everything on those models was made of wood. Right down to the dots on the fingerboard. You have a great deal. Looks like the head had a clean crack and should repair well. Enjoy. Alverezes are great low cost guitars
At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
ScotZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.