Need help picking a solid truck/suv/car, newbie at the wheel! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need help picking a solid truck/suv/car, newbie at the wheel!

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drame22
Well, let's say my budget for now is $6,000. I don't absolutely need a car at the moment, so I can keep saving if need be, but I'm hoping to find something used and older.

Well, that's what I was afraid of with the Defenders. Are there any solid pickups or suv's that could have some work done to have a soft top? Really all the stock car needs is to have a straight, boxy body, a smaller engine, and at least 2 seats. Then I'll modify it piece by piece

Cheers all,
Drame22
Ahem. Toyota. 4runner. First gen.

There's soft tops available

Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just get a Cherokee.
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Drame22

Con: 4runner is a solid option. I just want to see what else is out there, in addition to the best-known examples. 4runners, Wranglers, Cherokees, Samurais, etc.

Kevin: At this point I will likely end up doing just that. Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 4 and 2 door versions of a Cherokee? And do they come in diesel/can they be converted to diesel?

Cheers all,
Drame22
Drame22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Mr Q X
1995 ZJ 

First gen Isuzu trooper hard to find them in good condition but they're cheap and reliable the 2.3 is a great engine not much for speed but very reliable. Not every one has one and if its modded they are totally awesome if ya lucky you can find a diesel! Great for hauling things too the back seat is only held in with 4 bolts.
trooper.jpg

trooper2.jpg

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drame22 View Post
Con: 4runner is a solid option. I just want to see what else is out there, in addition to the best-known examples. 4runners, Wranglers, Cherokees, Samurais, etc.

Kevin: At this point I will likely end up doing just that. Does anyone know if there are any differences between the 4 and 2 door versions of a Cherokee? And do they come in diesel/can they be converted to diesel?

Cheers all,
Drame22
No real differences between the 2 and 4-door. The bodies are the same length. Because of different features and parts, the best years are 96 and 99. You are incredibly unlikely to find one in the US but yes, they were made with diesels. As far as conversion, I have no idea.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.