need help with this old moped/scooter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > need help with this old moped/scooter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

need help with this old moped/scooter

So I got this old 1990 tomos bullet scooter with the a3 motor and can't get it to start. I got this like like 3-4 years ago and it didn't start so I tried to fix it and couldn't. Had all the wires taken apart and forgot how they went. Can't find a wiring diagram anywhere either. Anyone know anything about these and can help?

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Found out all the fuel lines were clogged so thats why we weren't getting fuel, cleaned out all of those, haven't figured out how to take the carb off yet though to clean it out.
But still haven't figured out the no spark issue yet.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
JeepComanche89
1989 MJ Comanche 

Cant really offer any help, im new to bikes. But that is super cool. I picked up a little project myself.

image-1547716428.jpg
JeepComanche89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
TjinTopeka
2002 WJ 

http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/service/

Some good moped info. Weird how you have to kick the pedal back to start the bike. I had an old Sachs similar to what you have and you just pedaled up to speed and let the clutch out. Although a kickstart would have been cool.
TjinTopeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that had some good info but nothing moped specific like I'm looking for.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.tomosusa.com/pages/modellen

Contact them, They should be able to get you schematics and parts.
Those were fairly basic engines. Run through the whole fuel system first to clean out everything. Make sure the electric is solid also. You should only need a wire from the plug to the coil and from the coil to the exciter. the others are for lighting and shutting it off(grounding) if the shut off wire is pinched somewhere it will never start.
BE VERY CAREFUL on the carb. The aluminum is brittle and prone to corroding the metering screws. I've broken quite a few on sleds and once you break it you might as well just throw it away and buy a new one because they will never work right after.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll give that a try. I already cleaned out the fuel system, just need a clean out the tank, from what I've seen the electrics look good but i haven't pulled all the wires out to check them.
I do need the take the carb apart though and clean it. The petcock and fuel line were clogged with gunk so I'm pretty sure the carb is clogged as well.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
bono426
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ahh, i had one of these! Take off the carb and clean the hell out of it. Also, check the points and see if you're getting spark

Spray the carb with some ether and see if you can get it to run off that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.