Need help, any Chevy/GMC mechanics here? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need help, any Chevy/GMC mechanics here?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Long story short as possible, I'll try my best!

I bought a 13 GMC Sierra 1500 a few months ago, love the truck. Pulling out of the dealer the service stabilitrak and traction control light came on. Turn around and they fix it, said it was a bad switch. Barely a 150 miles later its back on, they replace the switch again. Same thing, couple hundred miles later the light is back on, take it to a different dealer, they replace body roll module. 50 miles later the light is back on. This time I file "final attempt to repair" with GM under the lemon law. They instruct me to take it back to the dealer I purchased it from for repair. They say there is a TSB about a connector, they replace it.

So its been a couple weeks and around 500 miles, the light hasn't come back on but I have this feeling deep in my gut that it wasn't repaired, they just manipulated it some how to keep it off. Something with the truck doesn't feel right, I don't know how to explain it. I've learned to listen to these gut feelings because I never get them but when I do they're usually dead on. I've said nothing to my wife about this and kept it to myself.

That brings me to today. My wife drives the truck probably more than I do, she called today and said the "grade braking" light came on. I ask her if she had it on tow mode by accident and she said no. I asked if she was going down a hill when it came on and she said no, it was the road we live off of which is pretty flat. She then went on to tell me that she had a feeling something with the truck just isn't right but she couldn't tell you what, it was just a feeling. So we both feel that way.

So, is there a way to manipulate the light to stay off and whatever the real problem is is starting to show?

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Take it to the Ford dealer and trade it for a new truck.
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
captainauti
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
Take it to the Ford dealer and trade it for a new truck.
x2, what he said.
2011 F150 4x4 5.0 Coyote SVT Supercrew
2008 E450 v10 Jayco Greyhawk 28 (tildah)

captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Hurley91

Plug a scanner in and see if you have any codes. They might have put tape over the lights.
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Had a Ford, that's why I went to GM. Should have went to Toyota!

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Rusty Scupper

I thought when you turn the key on all the lights go into a self test, then shut off as the vehicle starts. Can you see if the stabilitrac light and the traction control light come on at startup.

If so, then they didnt cut the wire or put tape over the bulb. It would shock me if they did something like that, but then again you never know.
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The stabilitrac light and some other warning came on in my 2007 Tahoe a while back. After some internet searching I found the cause would be either a bad sensor or the transfer case was shot. I also found that you could turn the key off and on about 10 times and the light would go off and stay off for about 50 miles. Of course I did the logical thing and traded it in.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Cumming, GA.....sounds like you need a Cummins!

No, not the Nissan.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Kraxen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates?
The dealership can most likely plug a computer in and shut off any options they want. They probably shut it off all together. I would just keep taking it back to the dealership to they either fix it right or give you a new truck. Its a shame how a lot of these dealerships always try to "band aid" fix problems while its under warranty.
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

If the light is not coming back on then its probably fixed. I don't know what to say about the "grade braking" its my understanding that the feature is passive, maybe she was coasting for long enough to trigger the feature IDK. I highly doubt any dealer would sabotage or disable the system, especially considering the safety factor in doing so. There would be a tremendous safety and liability issue involved if they did something like that. The fact that it took a few visits to fix was probably because the factory (GM) finally recognized the known issue and came out with a TSB for the correct repair. Not that this is your fault but when you go to different dealers for the same problem it kind of makes it a new problem, meaning that if you returned to the same one they might be more aware of the repair history and went to step 2 on the repair instead of starting over like the other dealer probably had to do.

The thing about dealers is they can fix the problem but sometimes the problems need to addressed at the factory level. That's why you have things like recalls, TSB's, updated or revised parts, software calibrations etc. With every new model there comes new problems, bugs, software issues and so on. On top of all that normal parts can fail, normal systems might have glitches, assembly line errors, its goes on an on.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.