Need Computer Advice (Diifferent From Keith) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need Computer Advice (Diifferent From Keith)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-18-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Invisible

Need Computer Advice (Diifferent From Keith)

I am running Windows 2000 Professional. I have the computers set up for two users. The problem is that the computer sets time limts on our passwords. Every month or two we have to reenter/change our passwords. If the password on one machine has expired and we don't know it then we cannot network or print. I know there is a way to set up the computer to remember password forever, but I don't know what that way is. (The guy who set up our network quit last year leaving me in charge.) Does anyone know how to do this short of calling HP?

Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

I'm a little confused . I also run Windows XP Pro and the password scheme does not have an option to set the duration for a password. I think this may be a feature of the networking software. What networking system are you using? Do you have an NT server? If so, that is probably where the passwork change requirement is coming from. A little more information would be helpful.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
ILoveto4x4inNC

You can set it up so that the passwords never expire. Log in as an administrator...Go into the control panel...Double click on users and passwords...Click on the advanced tab...Click on the advanced button in the advanced user managment area...Double click on users...Double click on the desired user...Click on the password never expires...Click apply...I think it has to reboot for the settings to take effect...Moabster I hope this helps...MatthewJ, I don't know about XP Pro but would imagine that it's a similar process to do it in that as well.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #4
eastwood

i can help here

moabster, xp is the same deal

right click your "my computer icon", left click manage.

the following box will appear

double click local users and groups and then click on the users folder. the right hand window pane will display a list of user accounts on the local machine. kinda like this.

double click the appropriate user account. the following box will appear.

uncheck the password never expires box and click apply and ok. your good to go!

Well guys, my pictures suck but the intructions are there. if you want better pictures you can shoot me an email or message and i will email them to you.

Last edited by eastwood; 02-18-2003 at 06:36 PM..
eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:32 AM   #5
moabster
2011 WK 

Man, that was intuitive

Thanks, I learned a new thing.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 06:52 AM   #6
Invisible

Thanks ILoveto4x4inNC. It worked. Moabster, I don't run with a server here. There are only 2 of us that need to network. The other 3 guys on my network are on there for internet only. It's a small business.
Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
ILoveto4x4inNC

UR welcome MatthewJ. I always try to help others when I can. If I knew as much about Jeeps as I do computers I'd be a happy man! LOL!

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.