Need computer advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need computer advice

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-18-2003, 09:50 AM   #1
Keith
Admin

Need computer advice

I have a super old computer, I think it has an AMD K6 which is either 400 or 433 MHZ. This computer has been through a lot and has been rebuilt several times with new parts. However, the computer is getting way to slow and as of late has a serious issue of rebooting randomly which causes a lot of stress.

I am not a major hardware guru so I was looking for some help on what I should do, I assume I need a new processor, motherboard, memory, and probably a new video card. What are some good choices for this and places to buy it at or should I get a new system, if so where?

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:55 AM   #2
Billy Joel

if you really need to do all that to a computer, just buy an inexpensive new one for like $500 (thats how much u probably have to spend in order for a new motherboard etc..)
Billy Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
ageofzeppelin

I disagree. What Billy Joel didn't mention was that for $500 you could buy the pieces for a fairly top notch machine or you could buy an inexpensive prebuilt job that, well, won't be. Bottom line, I've found it always cheaper to build your own if you want performance for less. It's more fun too. No one else works on my Jeep, no one else builds my computers. Now, if all you do is look at the internet and write email and such, you probably don't need a speedy machine and the cheapo ones would do you ok.

Check out places online. One store is streetprices.com that will tell you which vendor has the best price on different parts. Its up to you to decide if the vendor is someone you want to buy from.

Generally speaking, you will need a new motherboard, processor, memory, and I would get a new video card as well. Get a motherboard with a sound card built in and it will probably be OK unless you're an audiophile. You might be able to use your old case and powersupply, maybe not. You'll have to check what you're getting vs. what you have. Usually you can go buy a case with a decent power supply for cheap from local mom and pop style stores.
235's and a few other little things.
ageofzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

My standard build of a computer lately has been fairly in-expensive, but built with the best and fastest components I can find.

Asus motherboard without sound, network, or video
P4 2.0gHz chip
Soundblaster live audigy sound card
512mb PC-2100 ram
300 watt power supply
ATI Radeon 64mb ram Video card
3Com 3c905 10/100 network card

From that basis, then I will add in CD-burner, or DVD reader/burner, mutli-drive systems, SCSI, scanners, speakers and such to personalize it to what my client wishes.

This system works quite well .. and doesn't cost a second mortgage. Others will say "why did you choose that, when this is better" .. but overall, I haven't had any complaints.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:23 PM   #5
DirtyDan

What kind of case do you have (at or atx?) What type of components do you currently have in your old system? If you have pc133 sdram, and you want to go as cheap as you can (if you have an atx case/power supply) you can buy a new motherboard/Processor/cooling fan for around 125.00 for a 1300 mhz.

Dan
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 01:06 PM   #6
LoOpY

i just recently rebuilt mine, i went from a k6-2 450 with 128 meg of pc100 and a voodoo3 to an amd XP2000 with 256 meg of pc266 (?) and a 128meg Radeon9000 all for about 320 bucks, since i used my old case, a few cards, and my old hard drives (which will be replaced with ultra ATA, or whatever theyre using now, when i can come up with cash that doesnt go to my jeep)

heres an awesome site, youll be hard pressed to find better prices:

http://www.tcwo.com/

and shipping is a flat rate of like 5 bucks up to somthin like 120 pounds, which is groovy kewl
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
Quan

HAH! vance uses a pentium... what a NOOB! AMD owns pentium no matter how much they speed up their clock rate, performance is what matters

Build it yourself keith... new egg
pricewatch

cheap prices can be found there.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 01:48 PM   #8
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with pricewatch and newegg, but not AMD. But everybody has a preference.
Unread 02-18-2003, 03:44 PM   #9
Quan

opinions dont outweigh the data.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-14.html

Notice that the 2.5 GHZ AMD is extremely close behind if not ahead of the 3.06 GHZ pentium.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/barton-15.html

then see the AMD beat the pentium in 2 out of 3 benchmarks. 2.5 vs 3.3.... 2.5 wins :P

not to mention the price difference.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

For the price you can't beat AMD.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #11
ILoveto4x4inNC

I only use Intel motherboards and CPUs in my machines. They may cost a little more but it's worth it. Other than Windows98 I NEVER have a problem with my machines. My boss has an AMD in the office and it crashes daily. I used to build computers for a living before I got laid off and had more trouble with cheap MBs and AMD CPUs than I did with Intel. Check out some of the local computer shops and see what kind of deal you can get on the parts and do it yourself.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 04:25 PM   #12
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I've built several computers and have been burned with a poor CPU (NexGen ). However, when I decided to do away with my PII, I went with AMD Athlon XP and haven't had any problems. I used a P4 here are work and prefer my AMD in gaming (somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison since the video cards aren't the same). I think that hardware/stablity-wise AMD and Intel are very similar; I wouldn't rag on either system based purely on CPU brand. Any computer can crash constantly if the user(s) don't maintain the system and/or install garbage programs or components.

However, one big caution if you build your own - don't skimp on the memory or important components (mb, video card, fans, etc). Cheap chips will give you nothing but problems and an overheated computer will throw you all sorts of errors and crashes that can be really hard to pinpoint.

Building your own computer can be satisfying both financially and emotionally IF you have patience and do your homework. The 'net has many great reviews (Tom's Hardware) and great help in compatibility and problem-solving.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2003, 09:43 PM   #13
darktiger

my .02

You can buy all the computer parts off the net for fairly cheap or if there is a mom and pop computer store they can generally give you a good deal... just do your price shopping first.

My advice if you are planning on just having it as a standard PC i'd go with a 40GB HDD(i tend to lean toward the seagate brand, more expensive but dont break down as fast as western digitals), you can go smaller if you dont store alot of things like photos, mp3 and the such,
atleast 256MB RAM, 512 would be better, that way you dont have to upgrade faster later, and RAM prices are cheap right now,
a GeForce4 video card has excellent output for standard and game viewing,
I like Gigabyte motherboards they tend to work well and long and come with additional features like sounds, network cable slot and usb ports with additional USB2.0 cards,
and well the AMD and Intel processor debate, Intel is expensive and great with performance aspects, the AMD is a little slower but both companies have very reliable and good status processors, I'd chose an AMD Athlon XP 1800, not too expensive and great performance.
On top of everything dont skimp on the fans!
I like Win2000, very stable and has drivers (that work)available for almost everything unlike XP.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to write me an email.
One who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing...
darktiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.