Need advice fast about transmissions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Need advice fast about transmissions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-11-2002, 05:45 PM   #1
damonejeep

Need advice fast about transmissions

My 94 4.0 YJ is in the shop for tramsmission problems. I think it is the synchros. The shop called tonight and left a message that it wpould cost $1200 to repair. Howver, they did say what the problem was. How much should I expect to pay for synchro repairs? How much should tranny rebuilds costs? ANd the third and final question. Has anybody in the Washington DC metro area had the same problem, and a good recommendation for shops?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2002, 06:17 PM   #2
AJ

For 1200, I think I'd spend a couple more bucks and just get a new tranny and install it yourself. You could probably get a good one from a salvage yard for $400. I spent over 2k on a transfer case replacement on my 92 dodge and later found out I paid for 300 in parts and only a couple hours labor. total rip off.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2002, 12:35 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

Drop in a different tranny. You should be able to get a good used tranny for a lot less than that.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
West

I used to do R&R in a tranny shop and if I had a nickel for every tranny that "just needs sychros" I'd be able to give you that 1200 you need. Synchros prevent grinding. Ignore worn synchros and let it grind for a while and you start to wear on the hard parts. (aka expensive parts) For $1200 you need to find out what it is you are getting for your money. If you have extensive hard part damage that may account for some of that 1200. find out what parts they will be replacing. Are they replacing the clutch while they have tranny out? Ask all the questions. If the shop is reputable they shouldn't mind answering them. If they do mind take your Jeep and your hard earned money elsewhere.
West is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2002, 09:10 PM   #5
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by West:
Ask all the questions. If the shop is reputable they shouldn't mind answering them. If they do mind take your Jeep and your hard earned money elsewhere.
Sound advice for any kind of work!
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2002, 12:12 PM   #6
damonejeep

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I talked to the shop on Saturday afternoon and they are going to fax over the list of repairs today. That way I can see what I am paying $1200 dollars for.
And I am definately going to ask as many questions as I can.

Thanks again.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
my litte red yj

well my synchro's are going and my engine have a bad knock so i am going to remove my drive train take my trans to the shop get it rebuilt he said around $600 and my engine(long block) $1300 and do a clutch i am doing it all because no one will buy a jeep with a bad knock and bad syncho's in the trans and i am running atf in the tran's because if i left gear oil in it >>>>>for get it it grind's real BAD. it is the labor that is expencive not the rebuild
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
transmission , rebuild , cost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.