My Jeep is stumbling.....suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > My Jeep is stumbling.....suggestions?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
gmgunicycle
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My Jeep is stumbling.....suggestions?

Hello folks, my name is Garrett, I'm new to the forum. I don't have anything special, just a pretty much stock 1989 Cherokee limited with way too many miles on it [210k].
My problem is this: Not to long ago, driving to my grandmother's house [over the river and through the woods], when my truck started to loose power. The best way to describe the symptom is that when I press the accelerator, it doesn't give the usual response....more like almost NO response. I was able to limp it to her place and work on it here and there, poking around at the usual tune-up stuff like spark plugs, distributer cap/rotor, etc. I also did a fuel pressure test, and replace the fuel filter because a friend of mine said that the fuel pump could be bad. The Haynes manual says the pressure should be above 30psi with the vacuum hose attached to the regulator, which was the circumstance that I tested it under, and I came up with 18 psi. However, I am skeptical of the fuel pump theory just because you can hear the pump run when you start it, and it starts, just doesn't get much of a throttle response when you drive it. It is also worthy to note that it usually dies after a minute/ minute and a half after starting it.

Any Suggestion? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

gmgunicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
FreemasonJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You'd be better off posting this in the XJ section.

I had these same symptoms on my YJ last week. I ran the codes and it came back that the Throttle Positions Sensor was the culprit. I opened my hood that it turns out that it had somehow come unplugged. Replugged it in and it's fine again. I don't know if the 89s had fuel injection or were carbed.

I also found this. Crank Position Sensor.

Jeep Cherokee Limited Crank, No Start

Good luck.
FreemasonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.