My English teacher...do Liberals believe everything that "sounds nice"? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > My English teacher...do Liberals believe everything that "sounds nice"?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
Achped
1985 CJ6 

My English teacher...do Liberals believe everything that "sounds nice"?

She had us taking notes about a book and said

"I heard from one of my English teacher friends that before WWI there was world peace for the previous ONE HUNDRED Years......could you IMAGINE that? Oh boy, I don't know about you, but I think we can do it! We don't need any more wars!"

Blah blah blah

Now, that isn't what I find ironic. What I find ironic is that the book we were taking notes on was "The Red Badge of Courage" and one of the notes said "The Civil War started in 1860"...which was 50 years prior to WWI. Did I mention she also thought the Confederates wore blue?

Everyone in the class was like....wtf shutup. I named five wars off the top of my head and told her and she's like "Yeah, well, those weren't that big."

Umm....The Civil War? Napoleonic wars? Spanish American war? Indian wars? Crimean war, franco-prussian, Boer, Mexican war, war of 1812....those weren't that big?

I then got a "Yeah, well, my friend knows what she's talking about. Lets move on"

Why are people like this teaching us? By the way, this was an Honor's class.

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Legacy

ya know, people in america believe that because of our democracy, in schools we don't have a one track mind on what we are teaching, we teach everything...........well what people don't realize is that we are no different when it comes to school than china........the govt controls and regulates everything we learn in school, people don't realize that and i think that people should start to realize it.
Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Achped
1985 CJ6 

Today I learned that the United States is currently bordered by Great Britain.
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
PDX_XJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go over her head and talk to the head of the department and get that professor fired. Get a few other students to go with you. She obviously doesn't know what she's talking about.

Oh, and I'd drop the class. Register for something else.
Unread 01-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
War Eagle
BRAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!!!

She sounds like several teachers I had in high school. The problem is they're bored housewives who become teachers just to have something to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thexonexkid View Post
I was under the assumption that you were Keith?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

and you're asking an english teacher about history?

Most english teachers I know have failed spectacularly at most other things, and sort of found their job by running out of other choices.

lj
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I teach high school English and History... and I didn't fail my way into this position, by the way,I sought it out...partly because I enjoy it and partly because I enjoy summer vacation. There are a good number of stupid people teaching at my school as well... The problem is that most normal people could never survive on the kind of money we get paid, so they're either as old as dirt and retired from something else, or they're on a mission to spread their wacky views to the children of America. For some reason, they all seem to be on the freak-extreme-liberal side of things.

We're not all like that though. This is probably an old wacky english teacher who honestly doesn't know anything about history, and yet thinks that she can change the future. Please ignore her, and realize that through contact with someone this stupid, you are being prepared for the future. The world is full of people who are at least as stupid as she is. Probably most people are more stupid. You can take this exposure and apply it to everything else you will ever do in your life, because stupid people are everywhere. When you get a teaching credential, you do not suddenly become any smarter or more wise than anyone else, all you get is a captive audience. This is dangerous for people who think they are smart, but aren't. It's irritating to hear teachers who think they know things just because they are a teacher. Take it from me. My only advice is smile and nod, get your grade, and realize that she's just another average American.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
Avor
2001 XJ Cherokee 

From 1998-
Quote:
BOSTON, MA - Last spring, Massachusetts joined other states in attempting to weed out unqualified teachers by requiring that candidates for public school teaching positions take a basic skills test. The test was geared to an 8th grade level of competency. When 59% of the candidates failed, Massachusetts Education Commissioner Frank W. Haydu III suggested that the passing grade be lowered from 77% to 66%, which would have raised the percentage of successful candidates to 56%. The state Board of Education agreed, and a majority voted to lower the standards despite opposition from some members, one of whom called the test results "frightening."
http://www.eagleforum.org/educate/19.../failtest.html

In her defense, however, she was an English teacher - not a History teacher. Everyone sucks at something - although I can't believe the bloodiest war (by percent of pop) in American history doesn't count as a big war.

Looking back at highschool - I definately had a few 'bad' teachers. For every bad one, I had an excellent one, and the rest were about average. It's just like any other job.
Unread 01-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
mpd8488

This person sounds like an idiot, but remember for every idiot liberal person there is an idiot conservative person. Don't blame her idiocy on her liberalism, blame it on the school for hiring people that are not qualified. Or maybe blame her mother for doing drugs while she was pregnant
mpd8488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
blackdog720

She is delusional and has no business in a classroom.
Orange Jeep club #12
Colorado Jeep club #20
06 Rubicon
Living in 15 sq miles surrounded by reality
blackdog720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #11
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

sounds like my honors english teacher from junior and senior years of high school. thinks she is always right and when you point out she is wrong she freaks. one day a buddy of mine made her cry just by arguing with her about something she said that was wrong. wasnt being rude or mean or anything, he was just arguing his point and she got so wound up she started crying.

I was one of the people in class that always would point out her obvious SPELLING errors on VOCABULARY TESTS and things like that (english teacher, she should be able to spell). It was ridiculous. Then after id point it out shed call me to the desk and threaten to have a parent teacher principle conference with me. didnt bother me, as my principle accused me of stealing my own math book out of my own locker so i could sell it on the second day of my senior year of high school. yea my high school was top notch.
Unread 01-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #12
jbrem
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
I teach high school English and History... and I didn't fail my way into this position, by the way,I sought it out...partly because I enjoy it and partly because I enjoy summer vacation. There are a good number of stupid people teaching at my school as well... The problem is that most normal people could never survive on the kind of money we get paid, so they're either as old as dirt and retired from something else, or they're on a mission to spread their wacky views to the children of America. For some reason, they all seem to be on the freak-extreme-liberal side of things.

We're not all like that though.
You remind my of my favorite high school teacher. He served in the Air Force before he started teaching senior English. I'm in my second year in college and I consider him a friend, as my comrades and I frequently visit him at his home. One of the coolest guys I know.
jbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrem04
You remind my of my favorite high school teacher. He served in the Air Force before he started teaching senior English. I'm in my second year in college and I consider him a friend, as my comrades and I frequently visit him at his home. One of the coolest guys I know.
Thanks. I'm honored.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
FmrVette

2008 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped
She had us taking notes about a book and said

"I heard from one of my English teacher friends that before WWI there was world peace for the previous ONE HUNDRED Years......
Well....she didn't specify on what planet...

"Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels. - Frank Sinatra

"When the last Blackhawk helicopter goes to the boneyard, it will be on a sling under a Huey." - Every Huey pilot that lived through it.

'95 YJ, '00 XJ, '06 TJ, (Current:) '08 XK
FmrVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #15
Frooch

Teachers are turning into real ******bags lately. When did "teaching" become "preaching"? When did "learning facts" go wayside to "heres my opinion and I'll teach you from that"?

Teachers in this country have become too big for the britches lately, IMHO. To push an agenda, regardless of whose side of the aisle you sit, is BS and shouldn't be allowed. School systems are trying daily to take more and more liberties from children and the families of which they come and it needs to stop. Blurring boundries of what parents should be included in such as counseling, pregnancy and general sex education are all signs of the changes they're trying to make and in some cases, suceeding in. It's only bound to get worse.
Frooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.