Movie: Avatar, $150M for marketing. Huh?????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Movie: Avatar, $150M for marketing. Huh??????

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-26-2009, 02:34 AM   #1
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Movie: Avatar, $150M for marketing. Huh??????

So, I saw some movie called "Avatar" today. Never heard of it before, had NO IDEA what it is about (always an interesting way to see a movie). But wife wanted to go today, so, we went. After the movie, I get on-line to see what I can find out something about it (a habit I developed from watching movies at home). Supposedly, some $150M+ was spend on marketing, and it has received all kinds of hype and press, etc.

Now, I am on the Internet - every day. I read the news - from many sources - on practically a continual basis (I am a news junkie). I realize I live in Alaska - but we have the same Internet everyone else does. How is it possible that I could know nothing of this movie, at all, given its marketing budget and hype? Even by accident???? What did they spend all that marketing money on??

FWIW - the crowd was awful as usual. I am appalled that parents bring their infant babies to the movies - and even more appalled that movie theater managers and staff allow them in. It's just ridiculous. Hard to decide which is worse - these people, or the damned cell phone people. What is wrong with these people?? I swear to god I want a cell phone jammer so bad I can just taste it!!! I hardly ever go to the movies for these two reasons. I don't even remember the last time I went to see a movie, but it was a long time ago. Oh, I remember now - it was in May to see Star Trek. Other than that..hell....probably the FIRST transformers movie (didn't see the second). Anyway.....there you go (:

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes things are right in front of you and you dont even see it
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
alecmcmahon

the media has been saturated with all the avatar advertisements, between burger or mcdonalds, commercials, cell phone ads, etc... hell, the video game was out before the movie hit theaters !
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Comanche_

I remeber reading that you dont watch much tv? that probably why you dident notice it.

I did a google search, it suppostidly cost 300 milion -500 million dollars to produce.

Sofar it's made 237 million.
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
Timothy_90
1998 ZJ 

I saw it yesterday afternoon in 3D, I thought the story was recycled and unoriginal- still OK but nothing new really. But it was visually ASTOUNDING and for this it goes down as one of my favorite movies of all time.
Timothy_90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

First time i heard about it was during a cowboys game, they played the trailer on that huuge screen for the crowd. They played like a regular preview for people at home, after that i wanted to see it, great movie..
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
So, I saw some movie called "Avatar" today. Never heard of it before, had NO IDEA what it is about (always an interesting way to see a movie). But wife wanted to go today, so, we went. After the movie, I get on-line to see what I can find out something about it (a habit I developed from watching movies at home). Supposedly, some $150M+ was spend on marketing, and it has received all kinds of hype and press, etc.

Now, I am on the Internet - every day. I read the news - from many sources - on practically a continual basis (I am a news junkie). I realize I live in Alaska - but we have the same Internet everyone else does. How is it possible that I could know nothing of this movie, at all, given its marketing budget and hype? Even by accident???? What did they spend all that marketing money on??

FWIW - the crowd was awful as usual. I am appalled that parents bring their infant babies to the movies - and even more appalled that movie theater managers and staff allow them in. It's just ridiculous. Hard to decide which is worse - these people, or the damned cell phone people. What is wrong with these people?? I swear to god I want a cell phone jammer so bad I can just taste it!!! I hardly ever go to the movies for these two reasons. I don't even remember the last time I went to see a movie, but it was a long time ago. Oh, I remember now - it was in May to see Star Trek. Other than that..hell....probably the FIRST transformers movie (didn't see the second). Anyway.....there you go (:
I heard about it from my son, I don't watch much TV.

The movie goers are polite out this way. It isn't often that I hear babies cry, if they do they leave the theater. I don't think I have ever heard a cell phone go off or anybody talk on way during a movie in my area.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Advertising works on different people in different ways. For instance, I know there's several product or media tie-ins it's been involved with, because I've seen or heard them but I couldn't tell you which ones those were as I've forgotten. I don't think I've ever bought anything because of a commercial as I just kind of zone out. I know there was so much advertising that I almost winced in pain every time I heard the title mentioned; because it was being used to beat me over the head and forcing me into submitting $10 to make it stop (I thought the movie was great anyway).

At my theater, I intentionally went to the last showing (11:20 PM) and guess what? Crying babies. SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE ****.

Actually, they only fussed for the first 20-30 mins. The worst was the sniffling snuffleupagus behind me that wouldn't wipe their damned nose. For 3 hours.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
Sometimes things are right in front of you and you dont even see it
Well, that's my point really. Makes me wonder about the effectiveness of advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
I remeber reading that you dont watch much tv? that probably why you dident notice it.
It's true, I don't watch much TV. As it happens, I'm watching TV today (for the first time in maybe 2 weeks), and the was doing so for less than an hour before I saw a McDonald's commercial for Avatar. But I wonder if I would have even noticed the commercial if I had not just seen the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy90 View Post
I saw it yesterday afternoon in 3D, I thought the story was recycled and unoriginal
I liked it, and only saw the 2D version. My exact quote after the movie was, "That was the first movie I saw in a long time that didn't completely suck."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Advertising works on different people in different ways. For instance, I know there's several product or media tie-ins it's been involved with, because I've seen or heard them but I couldn't tell you which ones those were as I've forgotten. I don't think I've ever bought anything because of a commercial as I just kind of zone out. I know there was so much advertising that I almost winced in pain every time I heard the title mentioned; because it was being used to beat me over the head and forcing me into submitting $10 to make it stop (I thought the movie was great anyway).
Yeah, for me, when commercials come on, no matter what the medium is, I generally either hit mute, change the channel, to take a leak, use the computer, or simply zone out. Even so, it seems like I would have seen SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE, all things considered.

The result of all of this is that it really makes me wonder about advertising over-saturation, and whether the advertising industry could be better served by actually advertising less - so that advertisements are less commonplace.

Quote:
At my theater, I intentionally went to the last showing (11:20 PM) and guess what? Crying babies. SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE ****.
I blame the establishment. I just can't believe they allow these people in.
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So tell me, I know nothing about this movie. Are we dealing with animal human hybrids something like this?
original.jpg  
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
So tell me, I know nothing about this movie. Are we dealing with animal human hybrids something like this?
Sort of - yeah - but sexier.
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

With all that money spent on marketing, it didnt make me want to see it anymore than if I had never heard of it
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
not even close

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.