Mother's computer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Mother's computer

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-20-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
Muddeprived

Mother's computer

It's a two year old computer. She recently downloaded windows 10. She said something prompted her to back up her files (i believe norton) so she did and the next time she turned on the computer nothing showed up on the screen. I push the power button and it turns blue, tower runs, but blank monitor. The monitor led is usually blue when it's connected but it stays orange. I can't diagnose the computer cuz i can't get anything to come up on the screen.

I tried two different cables (vga and dvi) and my working monitor and no change.

Any idea why her pc is not connecting to any monitor and how to remedy this?

I usually always come through in fixing her pc issues but this time I'm stumped.

1999 TJ 2.5L 5spd 2" lift
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Windows 10 is very much a pain when it comes to drivers and most likely the video driver is not microsoft signed and will no longer work. The following link from microsoft will help you to get the computer started in safe mode so you can either rollback the driver or install a new driver that is signed and will work with windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...creen-problems
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Windows 10 is very much a pain when it comes to drivers and most likely the video driver is not microsoft signed and will no longer work. The following link from microsoft will help you to get the computer started in safe mode so you can either rollback the driver or install a new driver that is signed and will work with windows 10.

This, it is such a PITA when OS updates come through.

For a second there, I was afraid you meant the computer named Mother from Alien.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post

Seems like the only thing I can try is unplugging all the external devices. I can't even get into safe mode because there's nothing on the monitor. The monitor is not detecting anything through vga or dvi and I tried two monitors and multiple cables. The monitor turns on then goes to sleep as if it's not connected.

I noticed her computer uses an integrated video card so I am thinking of trying one of my video cards I have laying around and see if that works.

Unread 01-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

If you boot from the recovery disk, it will use a basic display driver, the same as the one that flashes the bios screen. It will not start to load windows 10 from the hard drive which is where the driver issue lies. Then you can finish with the boot to safe mode and look into the driver issues. Read the instructions for start in safe mode/use installation media.
Unread 01-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Muddeprived

I don't think I have a recovery disk so I'll make one using my USB drive.

Unread 01-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
CoriolisSTORM
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Depending upon who made the graphic card in the computer, you can get the driver straight from the manufacturer's site. And most recovery disks are now a separate partition on the hard drive. You can generally get into it by hitting a button on boot up. Most PCs don't ship with separate recovery disks anymore.
http://www.intel.com (more than likely these guys video card is in there since its a prebuilt!)
http://www.nvidia.com
http://www.amd.com
Unread 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Muddeprived

So now I got the computer here and working on it. I noticed a little more. When I push the power button the blue light comes on the tower but does not blink. The keyboard lights do not come on. Nothing at all happens except for the blue light.

I tried hitting boot buttons on the keyboard but nothing on the screen as usual.

I will try making a recovery disc but I don't have high hopes of it working.

It's a HP P6000 model if that helps.

One question though: How do I get it to boot from the usb stick with the recovery files on it? Usually I go into boot settings and change the order of the boot drives but I can't get into those settings.

Unread 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Muddeprived

Now it works.

I tried it at my mother's (disconnected everything except monitor) and it did not boot up. I got here, took off the cover of the tower, hooked it up to my monitor and it booted. There was an error screen during the boot process stating that "Hard disk failure is imminent. Back up files now" but I continued on and it loaded windows 10 VERY slowly. Once everything was up and running I got another Microsoft Windows error message saying "Please Back Up Hard Drive now. Hard Drive failure is Immenent".

I believe that message is what my mother was talking about when she said it prompted her to back up her files.

Looks like the hard drive is trashed?

Unread 01-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

If both the BIOS and Windows are telling you the HD is bad, yeah, it probably needs to be replaced.

Regardless of the condition of the hard drive, it's always best to do a clean install of an OS instead of "upgrading" or on top of a previous installation.
Unread 01-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
Muddeprived

Well that sucks. The computer is only two years old. It IS a hp though. Dunno if I should replace the drive or get something better.

It had windows 7 on it previously and I told her not to upgrade but she did anyways. One month later....poof....bad hard drive.

Any chance resetting (reinstalling windows files but keeping personal files/programs) windows 10 would help?

Unread 01-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

The impending hardware failure and the software upgrade are probably not related. Get your good backup and pull the drive and put it in storage. If the processor and video is decent enough for what your mom does, sounds like a good time to throw in some extra memory, an SSD, and a big secondary drive to store files on. That should last her for years forward.
Unread 01-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
Muddeprived

Yeah I'm gonna get a new drive and windows 7 disk. I already back up her stuff on an external drive so that's done.

Looks like she has a seagate barracuda 750 gb hard drive (ST3750525AS)

Any recommendations on a new drive? I'm trying to keep this under $50 if possible. Windows 7 is an additional $80.

Unread 01-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Yeah I'm gonna get a new drive and windows 7 disk. I already back up her stuff on an external drive so that's done.

Looks like she has a seagate barracuda 750 gb hard drive (ST3750525AS)

Any recommendations on a new drive? I'm trying to keep this under $50 if possible. Windows 7 is an additional $80.
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on an SSD. They're much more affordable today than they were a year ago. A Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD, which your mom will probably never fill up, runs between $80-$90 and is phenomenally faster than a mechanical drive. It'll also be much more reliable than anything Seagate makes.

If her computer is only a couple years old, it most likely has 4GB of RAM, so you don't need to worry about memory.
Unread 01-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on an SSD. They're much more affordable today than they were a year ago. A Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD, which your mom will probably never fill up, runs between $80-$90 and is phenomenally faster than a mechanical drive. It'll also be much more reliable than anything Seagate makes.

If her computer is only a couple years old, it most likely has 4GB of RAM, so you don't need to worry about memory.
It's over the budget. The computer was cheap and I don't want to put any fancy expensive stuff in it. I just want to get it working again so she can do her facebook stuff.

I told her when the computer eventually dies (it will, this is her 3rd in 10 years) then she can have my gaming PC (which never dies) and I will upgrade to a better model. But right now I don't have the funds to do that so I just want a regular HDD to get this running and quiet her down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.