Motherboard North and South Bridge Chip Sets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Motherboard North and South Bridge Chip Sets

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Motherboard North and South Bridge Chip Sets

I have just ordered a GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 from New Egg ( Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards) and was surprised to see that the north and south bridges are just air cooled and designed such that it does not look like you can stick a traditional fan on them. The South Bridge has a concave shape and the north bridge is at about a 30* angle that would look like if any thing was added it would hit the video card.

Should I just provide very good case cooling? or should I be concerned with adding fans on to these regardless of case cooling? If so what coolers would fit? it does not look like Gigabyte does not have any thing they recommend.... Thanks for the help

NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The chipset doesn't get super hot like it used to when the memory controller was part of the north bridge. The heat pipes connecting them will do a good job of transferring most of the heat to the heatsink next to the cpu socket. As long as there's airflow inside the case, you don't have anything to worry about running stock speeds or a slight overclock.. I know Asus sells an add-on fan for their motherboards for people that want to overclock. What kind of system are you building?

Oh, and if you want REALLY quiet fans for your case, look at the Enermax Enlobal fans. They use magnetic levitation, and the blades detach for cleaning. I use them in all my builds.
Chris_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I am building....

- GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3

- CPU Cooler ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

- BFG EX-1200 1200W Power Supply

- XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCIe DDR5

- Thermaltake Armor Full Tower Black Case

- Maxtor 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB ( Secondary HD for Back up and movie storage)

- Dual Plextor DVD Optical's (SATA)

- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB (Main Hard drive)

I have the Hard Drives, DVD drives and case from my old system that I am reusing but getting the Video card, MB, CPU, Memory, and Power supply in the mail on Thursday.

Edit: I am not to worried about sound... I was looking at one of the case fans that is 66dB and full speed and moves 250 CFM.... The computer is getting used as kind of a main frame that will have a external hard drive bay enclosure that will be hooked up to the network for remote access and have my music, movies, recorded TV shows.. ect. at that point it may be in a little "server" room that many people will call a closet....
NAXJA Member #2619

B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

On my last build it was passive cooled as well.

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like fun. Why so much power? That setup shouldn't draw more than 375 watts. I still can't even believe that there's computer power supplies capable of maxing out 15A circuit breakers. I have a 285Watt Enermax in mine.
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

By biggest concern and the reason for asking is on the board it has a 3 pin (1 dummy pin) fan connection that is labeled for the North bridge.

From the user manual....

6) NB_FAN (North Bridge Fan Header)
Connect the North Bridge fan cable to this header. The fan header has a foolproof insertion design. When connecting a fan cable, be sure to connect it in the correct orientation. Most fans are designed with color-coded power connector wires. A red power connector wire indicates a positive connection and requires a +12V voltage. The black connector wire is the ground wire.

• Be sure to connect fan cables to the fan headers to prevent your CPU, North Bridge and system from overheating. Overheating may result in damage to the CPU/North Bridge or the system may hang.

• These fan headers are not configuration jumper blocks. Do not place a jumper cap on the headers
NAXJA Member #2619

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well the MB says to have 450-550 min... the CPU it self is a 140Watt...

I am planning on having a total of 4 Raptors in RAID for my boot up, along with a TV Capture card, and Security Card (I hear the cameras take a fair about of juice) along with a Blue Ray Drive, and possibly using a second Video Card to run X-fire

I went with the min last time and ended up going unstable. I want to make sure that I never have to worry about my power supply
NAXJA Member #2619

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

A did a quick search. It looks like they are just generic instructions. Is there actually a fan header on the board? The older Gigabyte mobos had north bridge fans.
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Glad to see you bought a Gigabyte mobo.

Overclocking and watercooling are in my list of hobbies.

The 790FX uses something like 7W of power at stock voltages. It's a well-designed northbridge on AMD's part. Regardless, most chipsets nowadays don't run hot at all. The last super-hot northbridges were the nVidia 780i and 790i, which were known to fail at a rapid rate under higher voltages.

The chipset temperatures are the last thing you need to worry about with that rig. I'd be more concerned about that Thermaljunk case falling apart. PC enthusiasts don't let friends buy Tt garbage. If you knew about the 'watercooling' kits they make, you'd boycott them for their quality too. We're trying yo put them out of business so they cannot contaminate the rest of the market.

That Phenom II is going to get HOT, even with the AC7. If you are planning on overclocking (who wouldn't with a Black Edition?), recommend you pony up to a Thermalright Ultra 120 or Venomous X, Prolimatech Megahalems, Noctura D14, or Xigamtek Dark Knight. Use Indigo Xtreme, MX-2, or MX-3. for the TIM.

As for fans....

Pick your poison. The Gentle Typhoon is probably in the ballpark of what you are looking for. They are considered the best noise/airflow fans right now for low-FPI radiators and aircooling. Noiseblocker Multiframes are among the quietest fans you can buy, but you'll pay for them.

The northbridge sink will not interfere with any cards placed in that top PCIe x1 slot. Guaranteed. Not like you'll likely be using that anyway.

1200W PSU for that? Waaaaaaaay more than you need. Switch out to an 750W or so Corsair. Single rail too so you don't need to worry about proper PSU loading. I run an i7 at 4.3, two 4850s, two pumps and 8 YL fans and only draw about 700W on an 850W Tagan at max load.
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yea Bottom of Page 24 on the Manual for the MB it talks about the fan header for the NB.

Assuming my end goal for 4 HDD in RAID and two Video cards my design says that it would be 850 watts (using New eggs calc) that is not taking into account Over clocking or Video Capture and Video Surveillance Card. I have 10 SATA headers and I plan on taking full use of them...

The PS has already been bought. And I have done extensive research on that unit and know what I need to do with it so it loads correctly.
NAXJA Member #2619

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Chris_Walker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think there's actually a fan header on the motherboard itself though. And if there is, you don't need to worry about it.
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The Thermaltake quality issue is why I got a empty case... I don't like the look of a lot of the full tower case, I want something with a little flair but hate the plastic covers that go over the bays. The cooler was what I could do at the moment. It got great reviews, it had a fan with it, and it looked like it flowed plenty of air (45 CFM) I want to get a water cooling system eventually but have other demands on my $$$ that I cant get that yet.

Not to discredit your opinion on the heat sink but it seams like the heat shinks mentioned are not that much bigger, and the choice of fan would be the larger factor on those? what about this guy?
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler ( Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks )

Edit: It was hard to find a cooler that specified a AM3 CPU... I am moving up from the 949 chip set so am not sure how much a difference there is in the physical structure around the CPU from the AM2, AM2+ and the AM3...
NAXJA Member #2619

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Walker View Post
I don't think there's actually a fan header on the motherboard itself though. And if there is, you don't need to worry about it.
Its got a nice little picture with a circle around it and identifying the Pin out on the header... and it is the layout of the board I am buying not a generic block layout...Guess I will tell when I get it, if its only 7 watts for the NB then that heat sink is way over kill for that power dissipation.
NAXJA Member #2619

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

If I was to Pony out for the Best Cooler and Fan Combo what would those be and where would you get them?
NAXJA Member #2619

Unread 01-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Most mobos have a fan header for the NB. Both my GA-X48-DS4 and GA-X58-UD4D do. Maybe it's old tradition, maybe they put it there if you wanted to change out the sinks to one that accepts a fan. You don't need to concern yourself with it though, unless you want to bench with LN2 and shove 3V+ through it.

The Thermalright Venomous is considered the best. Those are the three best sinks available right now. Which one is best depends on the airflow pattern in the case, then fans on them, the die configuration on the processor, the socket height and pressure on the retention system, and the TIM you are using.

Thermalright Venomous-X in stock now... - Page 4 - XtremeSystems Forums

Although they don't appear much larger than other coolers, it's the way they are made that makes the difference. The solder jobs between the heatpipes and fins, the aluminum and copper alloys used, the lap job on the base, etc. They are about as good as you can get with aircooling. Any larger and they would snap the board in half due to weight.

Obviously, some 38mm thick 3000rpm San Aces or Ultra Kazes would be the best fan configuration on any of them, but you'd go deaf. Scythe Gentle Typhoons, Slipstreams, Enermax Magmas, or some good ol' Yate Loon High Speeds would be adequate for your needs. Buy the highest fan speed available and use a fan controller. Lamptron FC2, FC5. If you want to go with 38mm high pressure fans, San Ace 1011, Scythe Ultra Kaze, or a Panaflo offering. Recommend going with 2000rpm or 'medium' speed fans with these options, however. 38mm thick fans make a loud electronic whine when they are toned down due to the nature of their motors. Phenom II's are good overclockers, but I'm not sure if you will meet a board/chip limit or a temperature limit first when overclocking. If this was my everyday rig, I'd stay in the 25mm thick fan category to reduce noise as much as possible. You don't appreciate quiet fans on your main system until you've installed 5 Ultra Kazes on your radiators.

As far as where to get them, I've spent about $1500 through Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come with zero issues. They usually have the lowest prices and largest stock of enthusiast parts.

Edit in response to your edit: All of the sinks I mentioned are compatible with AM3/AM2 but will need special mounts.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=26988

Just add on AMD bolt-through kit at the bottom for $7.50.

Last edited by NewdRiver_; 01-16-2010 at 07:33 PM..
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.