Most Influential Book(s) You've Read - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Most Influential Book(s) You've Read

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am almost done with this.

It may not seem like much, but its up near the top because of how it changed the way i approach all problems in life/work/social.

--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
BLS33
Chief of the brain police

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Ok, I'll be the serious one here... Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. That single book made more of an impact of how I approached my life and career than 100 of any other books I have read.

That book has probably saved many marriages and careers and gotten people living much closer to their potential than nearly any other book I can think of. For me, it was life changing. Once I picked it up at a friend's house in 1973, I couldn't put it down. I've re-read it maybe another half-dozen times since then... and it's time to read it again. There's nothing that surprising in it, it's really a common sense approach to how we think of relationships, and how we approach things in life. A very eye opening book, that is for sure.

By the way, I think it's the top selling book of all time, not including the Bible.

I've never read that book myself but have heard about it. How well do you think the ideas and methods translate to the modern day. It was written in the 30's wasn't it?
BLS33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Robinson Crueso by Daniel Dofoe

and Where the Wild Things Are!!! by maurice sendak...
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
fundabug

"The Tao of Pooh"....No really, I read this book over 15 years ago and still remember it's relation to the simple thinking of Winnie the Pooh. Whenever life gets too complicated I just think of this book.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #20
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33
I've never read that book myself but have heard about it. How well do you think the ideas and methods translate to the modern day. It was written in the 30's wasn't it?
Yep, 1937. There was nothing I've read in the book that wouldn't translate to today as it's nothing more than basic human relations. That kind of stuff never changes. It saved a guy's marriage I used to work with, his wife was in tears one night saying how it had changed her husband so he wasn't mean to her any more after he read it. He was in tears when he realized how he had been treating her without realizing it. It can do the same with careers and relationships with friends and colleagues.

It's a quick read that I guarantee will produce immediate positive results for just about anyone. I can't recommend it highly enough, there's a reason it's still in print after all these years and that it still sells well.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Godel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstadter

Logic, mathematics, philosophy, mythology, literature, music, art. I never saw the world the same since.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

mecompco's's signature
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #23
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Other than the Bible, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
mecompco's's signature

wtf....
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #25
kiksroks
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One Fish, Two Fish,...

A classic that teaches much about the diversity of our world. A definite must read!!!

Low Output 4cyl Jeep Club Member #777
<><
kiksroks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #26
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
wtf....
Scroll up to post #10 in this thread. Look at the size of his sig!! It's a book! get it? get it? huh?
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #27
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach. I read it at a difficult time in my life when I was a teenager, and I came away from it realizing that I can do anything I set my mind to, regardless of what anyone else thinks. It also inspired me to learn to fly!
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #28
knatdog55
1990 XJ Cherokee 

the only book i've read in years is "i am america and so can you". of course you can't take it too seriously, BUT it does have some good points as well...

[url]www.tgc4x4.com[/url]

[QUOTE=Name Protected]Should a Compass ever actually see any offroad conditions, they magnitude of attraction would be so great that it would surely burst into flames causing the driver to vear into the nearest tree...this would cause massive forest fires that would eventually lead to the burning down of many houses, and possibly members of this forum.[/QUOTE]
knatdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #29
Thetrav5.9

All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten - Robert Fulghum

Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey

Travis
Thetrav5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #30
turtlerace
Best taken in small doses

1979 J-Series Truck 

mein kamph by adolph hitler. sometimes it is best not to let the twisted ones go on about their business. pay attention to what a person has at their core more than anything else about them. people are easily distracted from the reality of what lies beneath. chilling.
turtlerace is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.