Moral question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Moral question

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 01-07-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
JoeHo

Moral question

I'm in college right now, and next year between my $15,000 scholarship from my school, federal aide that I'll get because my dad's been unemployed for about 14 months, and being an RA (free room and board), I won't owe the school anything besides book money... and I'm also applying for tons of private scholarships. Now the real dilema is that these private scholarships often just write a check to me, not the school, and if I get more than $500 from them I'll actually be MAKING money on it. This sounds great, but I can't help but feel a little bad because there are other people that would actually be using that money on their education instead of their Jeep (because c'mon, of COURSE if I make money its going into the Jeep). What do you guys think?

2001 XJ - commuter for a while
JoeHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I think if you take the effort to seek out the private funding that you should take it. I had a buddy of mine do the exact thing and he kept most of it in savings for later on in life.

You never know when an emergency might happen and you'd need the cash.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2004, 09:43 PM   #3
TJdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go far it bro. My girlfriend is half mexican and gets it all. She gets full tuition paid for and a check from the government covering well over the amount of her books. The best part is that i speak better spanish than she does!!
KC daylighters, Warn Front bumper
and some Shrockworks
rock sliders all sitting on 33's
Pictures
NRA Jeeper #9

Ham Radio Call: KI6KCU
TJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:16 AM   #4
JoeHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
You never know when an emergency might happen and you'd need the cash.
Yeah an emergency like needing my jeep to be higher haha

2001 XJ - commuter for a while
JoeHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
thephantum
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I say do it. If you apply, qualify and receive the money, take it. There is nothing wrong with working the system. I did the same thing to get through college.

Rock On!

Steve

[B][size=3][url=http://www.links4jeeps.com/in.php?id=893/]Links 4 Jeeps - Yup, they're free here too[/url][/size][/B]

[URL=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA_Chapter/VA_Members.htm#cname]
97 XJ Sport 2 door with a bunch of stuff[/URL]

[url=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA%20Chapter/VA%20Members.htm#dname]
02 TJ Sport with a bunch of stuff[/url][/center]
thephantum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 04:57 AM   #6
domdan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephantum
There is nothing wrong with working the system.
Rock On!

Steve
Nice. Those are the words straight out of every crack 'ho playing "who my babys daddy" standing in line waiting for the government cheese handout.
Is'nt it great what hip-hop culture has brought to our society...I'll just wear some bling bling chains, put my hat on sideways ,watch MTV, vote democrap, drink 40's in my dorm room and milk the system.
I've never gotten, or sought out s**t from the government and never will.
Morals? this has nothing to do with morals...you know the answer to this question about morals...it has to do with self esteem......you want to be a lowlife and milk the system, then hide your eyes in shame next time you hear someone *****en about their hard earned wages paying for some lazy (&^%$#@'s
new honda while they get government funding.
93 YJ I6 4.0 custom welded aluminum front fender, herculined , 33" 12.50 15x8 BDS 2" suspension, M.O.R.E. Boomerang shackles, Teraflex disco's, Flattened and hacked out wells, electric fan to replace stock fan.WARNx8000i,high-lift jack,relocated mirrors
domdan69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 05:20 AM   #7
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdan69
Nice. Those are the words straight out of every crack 'ho playing "who my babys daddy" standing in line waiting for the government cheese handout.
Is'nt it great what hip-hop culture has brought to our society...I'll just wear some bling bling chains, put my hat on sideways ,watch MTV, vote democrap, drink 40's in my dorm room and milk the system.
I've never gotten, or sought out s**t from the government and never will.
Morals? this has nothing to do with morals...you know the answer to this question about morals...it has to do with self esteem......you want to be a lowlife and milk the system, then hide your eyes in shame next time you hear someone *****en about their hard earned wages paying for some lazy (&^%$#@'s
new honda while they get government funding.
Those things were brewing long before hip-hop...and our society brought it to us. We are ALL products of society, and the only things that set us apart are our MORALS. That is of course assuming that our parents did their part. It sounds to me that your issues go a bit deeper though...try looking beyond the surface my friend.

As far as seeking private funding...go for it. Hey, the fact is, some people and or organizations do have that money to give. If you are making something of yourself, and aren't wasting the money in the local bar, I don't see the problem. And a few bucks here and there on the Jeep isn't a bad thing either. The Jeep needs to be fed also

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:07 AM   #8
teesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOne
If you are making something of yourself, and aren't wasting the money in the local bar, I don't see the problem.
If you are wasting this money then you are not making something of yourself. When I went to college I had to pay back that federal aide....if you do get private money and blow it on whatever is cool then you are only setting yourself up for a more difficult future. I know some federal aide you don't have to pay back but some of it you do. I would do my best to not be paying for college until I'm 30. There is no problem in getting the money but use it for school.
teesea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
xcmbike

I dont know. I see both sides to this. And I think the only reason that I wonder is because of seeing my girlfriend try to get through college. Her mom cant afford to help her at all. So she depends on the money from her 2 jobs and what what help she can get from aid.

its always been frustrating because all of our extremely wealthy friends are the ones that end up with the full rides and the big checks. It doesnt make any sense.

I cant tell you what you should do but I think its cool that you are smart enough to think of this on your own. Most people wouldnt think twice and just try to bank as much as they can.

Here is my opinion though. I guess if you purposly try to get more than what you need then that wouldnt be cool. If you only need $500 for school. Yet you are getting 5 different checks for $200-$500 then thats not cool. But if you need $500 and you get one check for $800 then I dont see anythign wrong with that. Dont try to hord all the money out there, there definatly are people that NEED the money.

Mr. December in the 2004 Jeepforum.com XJ calendar
xcmbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:24 AM   #10
RonsWS6

It seems we're skirting the issue here. The original question is: if someone applies for scholarships to be used to pay for school, and they receive more than necessary to cover the costs of school, is it moral to keep the extra money.

By your own admission, some of the money you receive will NOT go to cover costs of schooling, even though that's why it was given to you. So no, it's not moral for you to keep the extra money and should be returned so that the $ can be given to other students qualifying for the scholarship. Think of it this way: you find out you were the runner-up for a scholarship and need to take out a loan or pay out of pocket cause of this. And you know the individual who was the winner, who rec'd more $ than necessary and picks you up from class in a Jeep they seriously modified with what could've been your scholarship $. I wouldn't be happy, but that's just me.

Real world, though, is a different story. Any $ returned to a private scholarship fund is usually kept and used to offset future scholarships. And we're not talking big $ here, maybe a couple hundred $. And you can always say you're applying the $ to school "related" costs such as transportation, add'l food, etc and justify it however you want to. Heck, I'm with you: being a middle-class white male attending a state school meant I didn't receive any scholarships, but my 2 Chinese friends in the same financial situation (with lower GPAs...) rec'd multiple scholarships. Is that fair? But that's the real world. Moral implications, obviously, are different.

2000 Trans Am WS6 - not stock, and getting further every day...

Last edited by RonsWS6; 01-08-2004 at 06:34 AM..
RonsWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 06:27 AM   #11
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmbike
Here is my opinion though. I guess if you purposly try to get more than what you need then that wouldnt be cool. If you only need $500 for school. Yet you are getting 5 different checks for $200-$500 then thats not cool. But if you need $500 and you get one check for $800 then I dont see anythign wrong with that. Dont try to hord all the money out there, there definatly are people that NEED the money.
I completely agree with this...

I guess my main point was really about the hip-hop society thing...

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 07:29 AM   #12
RIOGRANDE

My opinion, apply for what you need. Don't milk the system so that you can use the money on your Jeep. You will be more proud of the Jeep if you earn the money your self. You know what the correct answer is to the moral question.
Green Jeep Club Member #61
Maryland Jeep Club Member #3
'95 Green YJ Rio Grande
4 Cyl, Auto, Akimoto Funnel Ram Air Intake, BORLA Exhaust, 2" Shackle Lift, 30" Futura Enforcer's M/T on Outlaw II's, Bestop Soft Top, Slider Half Windows, SS Step Bars, Xenon Extended Flares.
SOLD
RIOGRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #13
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHo
Yeah an emergency like needing my jeep to be higher haha
Hey, bad waether, bigger flex, you gotta get to school somehow right.

I have been putting myself through school at a junior college. Started out as going to get further ahead at my job. Decided why not get all the basics done here to transfer to a university. Did the basics, but haven't gone ahead due finances, kids, work load, and time.

I have had to pay for every last class, book, permit, ect... On my own. I make too much anually to qualify for jack. I say take the private cash and run with it. Just because I don't get a swing at it doesn't mean you shouldn't!

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 10:59 AM   #14
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think that you should either give the $$ back or not apply for them at all. Just for what you need. I know plenty of people that could use the money more than it sounds like you need it. Work for the $$ for the Jeep, just like all of us. I think that you know whats right and are just looking for someone on here to justify it for you...

My .02..
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2004, 12:02 PM   #15
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdave
Go far it bro. My girlfriend is half mexican and gets it all. She gets full tuition paid for and a check from the government covering well over the amount of her books. The best part is that i speak better spanish than she does!!

I was born here and have paid taxes for 17 years I wonder if I qualify for such a deal?????? BTW: I'm half Peruvian and I always check white in those screwy little boxes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.