JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   Moral Dilema (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/moral-dilema-953742/)

krutj 01-21-2010 02:32 PM

Moral Dilema

I'm tossing this out there for opinions and maybe some outhouse lawyer advice.
My son recently quit his job, not a great job, but it was a paycheck.
The supervisor, basically told him to "take" sales away from the original seller and put it in his name, if the buyer called back with a question.
My son would not do this and things got uneasy at work, and on top of all this, He informed me that this place is a drug infested workplace. It seems as long as the sales are kept going, nobody cares.
Well my son cares and told me he couldn't work there anymore, I supported that decision.
Now the un-employment office turned down his claim, even though there is a section in the code citing moral issues.
I'm proud that my son stood up for his morals,the question is: should I help him pursue this matter, or take our lumps and move on....any thoughts?

NewdRiver_ 01-21-2010 02:37 PM

Have the BBB start an investigation, and move on. You'll likely get nowhere trying to fight a company on moral issues.

I don't know enough about the unemployment issue to comment on it, but how long has be been looking for work?

I also support your son's decision. It's just unfortunate that he had to make that choice in this economy.

krutj 01-21-2010 02:43 PM

Yea, I hear ya, I don't know if it's worth the energy to fight it. Just ticks me off that when a young person makes a good moral decision, he gets hosed, thanks for letting me vent.

TheDustMan 01-21-2010 02:45 PM

I agree, get the BBB involved. Although the employees that currently work there may not think too highly of you or your son if you get their place of employment shut down. But... it has to be done, and someone has to make a stand. Otherwise it will just continue.

skiahh 01-21-2010 10:02 PM

Fight it. You'll teach your son a worse lesson than working there if you don't at least try.

perfectcircle 01-21-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiahh (Post 8739571)
Fight it. You'll teach your son a worse lesson than working there if you don't at least try.

This.

Many men never saw the end of war, but that doesn't mean their fight was not worth while. :cool:

_Yeti_ 01-22-2010 01:13 AM

^ I see your point but to me it depends on the motivation to fight it. If you are fighting because you believe the business is corrupt and b/c of overt drug use, that is one thing.

If you are fighting for unemployment I would let it go and let him learn the lesson of standing up for your morals even if it makes life more difficult.

(Unless he really NEEDS it, but chances are more money / time will be spent to collect than it is worth)

paddingtonbear 01-22-2010 01:18 AM

Where did he work? Lets be honest there are just some places where its "assumed" I don't think I ever worked a retail job where my co-workers weren't high. Its the unfortunate aspect of our ever changing world, no one has pride in their work anymore. I'm in a specialized field of public service and love it. However, as a kid in retail I saw all the guys that never made it out and that was them, the drug using robots.

krutj 01-22-2010 04:49 AM

The place is a telemarketing co., it's all about the sales. This place handles customers for dish network, att, to name a few. My son took calls for dish, and when a customer would call with a question, the supervisor would tell my son to take the sale away from the original seller.(dirty pool) When my son wouldn't do it, the super would wait until my son was on break and do it anyway, this made his shift look better.
The unemployment really doesn't matter much,I can put him to work on our rentals or something, ticks me off about the super and the drugs.
Wonder what the ACLU would think?(or maybe the local drug enforcement)
Thanks for the feedback, sometimes it's good to hear another perspective.

erickpl 01-22-2010 06:38 AM

BBB? If there are drugs involved, especially buying/selling, get the cops involved. Shut that place DOWN!

DBLJ 01-22-2010 06:46 AM

If I was in your position then I would be proud to call him my son. Not many people left in the world that would do that.

krutj 01-22-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBLJ (Post 8740783)
If I was in your position then I would be proud to call him my son. Not many people left in the world that would do that.

:2thumbsup: I am extremely proud, he actually told his mother and me that if he stayed, he wasn't sure he could resist much longer, all the druggies wanted was to get him hooked and drag him down to their level
I know a bunch of cops, maybe have this discussion over a beer with a couple of 'em.:D

Big_Fisch 01-22-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 8740584)
The place is a telemarketing co.,

You know, up until you disclosed that, I would say I am 100%, balls-to-the-wall all about fighting the good fight.
But I've worked at a telemarketing co. and, if there is a top-10 list at the BBB regarding the most-likely-to-be-drug-ridden businesses, I guarantee telemarketing is in the top 5 easily.
My point is, going to the BBB with the drug accusations will likely not get him anywhere...not even sure if the fact that he is pushing that far will get him any sway with Unemployment Agcy.
And unless he has some kind of way to prove the practice of his supervisor, I would say go with _Yeti_'s advise and say
Quote:

If you are fighting for unemployment I would let it go and let him learn the lesson of standing up for your morals even if it makes life more difficult.
Best of luck to you both. :cheers2:

grogie 01-22-2010 07:15 AM

Very good as well for your son. :thumbsup:

This experience has probably been a good motivator for your son to instead get an education and a better job then to work in retail with losers. I'd make that point to him. I honestly don't get it why people stay in low level jobs and never want more?

Plus talking to your cop friends is a good idea. :)

drsouce411 01-22-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krutj (Post 8740584)
Wonder what the ACLU would think?(or maybe the local drug enforcement)
Thanks for the feedback, sometimes it's good to hear another perspective.

I once worked a retail job at a fairly well established clothing store and was mortified by the amount of drug users working there, and even networking/dealing through the workplace! Eventually I got sick of it and went to the local PD and informed them as to what was going on. They ended up contacting the MDEA (Maine Drug Enforcement Agency) who launched a full fledged investigation, making several buys inside the store! They were able to take the investigation well outside the stuff that was happening inside the store and work their way up to some pretty big players, a several of whom were charged with cocaine trafficking.

Perhaps I'm biased as a criminology student aspiring for a career in law enforcement, but I say fight it. You never know what might come out of it, and in your situation there's not a whole lot to lose.

Kudos to your son for sticking up for what he knows is right:thumbsup:

The time now is 12:41 AM.