Money for Wedding vs. Money for Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Money for Wedding vs. Money for Jeep

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 12-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
Jester23d
2008 JK Wrangler 

Money for Wedding vs. Money for Jeep

I just recently got engaged and I'm slowly realizing how much it's going to cost to get hitched at a proper wedding. I had been saving up for air lockers and changing my gear ratio. Now I'm afraid those may have to go on the back burner. I'm even more afraid that the soon to me Mrs may not approve of my spending habits and I'll never be able to spend money on the Jeep again, aside from fuel of course.

Jester23d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester23d View Post
I just recently got engaged
found your problem ^

fix your problem and you'll have as much money for your jeep as you want
MurdaJs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, yep..and it gets worse. Just wait 'til you have kids!

If she doesn't know about the money spend it quick!

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

haha @ proper wedding. to put on a show for your friends and family?

just get a judge or have a very very very small cerimoney which wont cost more than a few hundred.

The miss has no say unless it involved the kitchen, if she does, turn in your man card.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
rpiereck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My wedding cost me $10 plus a nice dinner... and my wife's concept of saving money is selling our other car so I can keep my Jeep!

JKS Adjustable control arms - JKS 1.25" Body Lift - JKS 1" Engine Mount Lift
Old Man Emu 4" coils - Rancho 5000 shocks - Teraflex front adj trackbar - RE rear track bar bracket
33/12.5x15 Wrangler Duratracs - Tabor 12k Winch - Hella 500F Foglights
Hella Supertone Horns - Uniden CB radio

rpiereck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed. My parents spent $30,000 on my wedding. Basically a big waste IMO but my mother wanted to impress her friends, blah blah. It was a great party but it lasts one day and then it's done. No way am I spending that kind of money on my kids (well..if I had it, which I don't!).

Keep it simple and cheap. Smart thing to do in any case.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Honestly, it sounds like there are multiple issues at hand here. Priorities, for one. It this strictly a matter of wedding vs. Jeep money, or is this wedding vs. all other priorities, including future financial stability? What's more important? Might be a good idea to have that talk with her. Additionally, what are your priorities? Do you want a big "proper" wedding, or is that an unnecessary expenditure to you?

I also suspect, from the limited impression I got from your post, that you may need to ask yourself, "Am I ready for my money to become our money?" To me that is a large and crucial step in being ready for marriage.

Now, you're a year older than I am anyway and I'm sure as hell not even remotely ready for marriage myself, so I may be totally off the mark here. But, hopefully this will help you out and give you a bit to think about. In any case, I wish you the best of luck, and congrats
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
christine1003
1999 WJ 

I have never been married or ever even engaged for that matter but the way i see it would you rather spend the money on nice things your going to use on your jeep?, or on one day of your life that is very special...but it's just one day. If your not worried about impressing everybody in town i would just have a small ceremony and then have a big reception where people can casually celebrate your new marraige And your fiance shouldn't worry about you spending money on your jeep as long as you keep all the bills in order
christine1003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
ecaps

I definately think you step back and look at your priorities and are you even ready to be married at this point in your life? If the answer is yes, then you need be prepared to deal with everything that comes with being married. Marriage is a 2-way street that requires give and take from both sides, it takes work each and everyday to keep it together.

In all honesty, I think if you're asking this question you aren't ready for marriage. For a most women, a wedding is a special day, even if it is just one day. It's something they've looked forward too since being little. Maybe this isn't the case with your lady, but hopefully you would know how she feels, not only concerning a wedding, but because you've talked about your plans for the future.

With that said, as with all things a wedding can get too extravagant, I'm not saying you need a $50,000 wedding.

One other thing I noticed in your post, it seems the post is all about you. What about her????
Quote:
I just recently got engaged and I'm slowly realizing how much it's going to cost to get hitched at a proper wedding. I had been saving up for air lockers and changing my gear ratio. Now I'm afraid those may have to go on the back burner. I'm even more afraid that the soon to me Mrs may not approve of my spending habits and I'll never be able to spend money on the Jeep again, aside from fuel of course

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now as I'm sure that are many who don't agree with my pov.

Stays crunchy ......even in milk
ecaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #10
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaps View Post
I definately think you step back and look at your priorities and are you even ready to be married at this point in your life? If the answer is yes, then you need be prepared to deal with everything that comes with being married. Marriage is a 2-way street that requires give and take from both sides, it takes work each and everyday to keep it together.

In all honesty, I think if you're asking this question you aren't ready for marriage. For a most women, a wedding is a special day, even if it is just one day. It's something they've looked forward too since being little. Maybe this isn't the case with your lady, but hopefully you would know how she feels, not only concerning a wedding, but because you've talked about your plans for the future.

With that said, as with all things a wedding can get too extravagant, I'm not saying you need a $50,000 wedding.

One other thing I noticed in your post, it seems the post is all about you. What about her????

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now as I'm sure that are many who don't agree with my pov.
I see what you did and I agree. Not a single 'we' or 'us' in the question. I know conservatives can get pretty strange about marriage, but I think the op should propose to his Jeep. That is a wedding I would be proud to attend.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations on your engagement.

I have to agree with what is said above. You have to start thinking that your money is now also her money, and believe me that you now will have justify any purchases you make to her because it is going to matter for your future together. Keep in mind that one of the top reasons for divorce these days is financial problems. You both have to start managing your combined income jointly.

Assuming you don’t own a home yet, that needs to be your top priority not your JK. Not only for the security a house brings, but also the write-off for taxes (for jointly filing), and a place to raise a family as that may happen sooner then you think.

But believe me, getting married is worth it. Just make it work, and start thinking as a couple and for your future together.

Plus, you can still have a nice, classy and memorable wedding and keep the costs within reason. My wife and I probably spent $5k about 10 years ago and it was honestly the best day of my life.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #12
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tell her about the planned Jeep expenditures, then tell her you will comprimise and spend it on niether the Jeep or the Wedding, but will put it all into a joint savings account. You will drive the Jeep as it is for the present and you will make plans to have the wedding somewhere cheap but where you can get great pictures (the pictures are really the point of the wedding).

If she refuses, don't marry her. You do not want to be hitched up with someone who is so short-sighted that they only see the benifits of a big, fancy wedding rather than long term stability just as she doesn't need to be hitched with someone who only cares about gears in the jeep.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am getting married in Sept, her parents said they would give $8000 for the wedding and whatever is left over is ours to keep if we go higher we have to pay for it. We should get a little over $2000 from her parents at our wedding. This is a wedding for 200-250 people (I'm catholic and have a large family). You should be able to have a proper wedding at a resonable price. We have spent a lot of times shopping around talking to different DJ's, caterers, ect. to get the best deal. I am still trying to convince her that a $10 wedding would be perfect, we could do a lot with $7990.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Emdot
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
I also suspect, from the limited impression I got from your post, that you may need to ask yourself, "Am I ready for my money to become our money?" To me that is a large and crucial step in being ready for marriage.
x10 million ^^

If you are really having a problem with your fiancee costing you some air lockers then I would seriously question if you are ready to be married.

Money is the #1 cause for relationship problems. I would make sure you have an understanding from the get go.

As mentioned, marriage is a 2 way street, Its we and us not I.
Unread 12-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #15
thebobjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just got married in a tent after a 16 mile hike into the Gila Wilderness area in New Mexico in 8 degree weather for the cost of gas, box of Clementines, $30 worth of paperwork to file, and a stamp that I need to pick up at lunch to send in the paperwork.
Definitely not for everyone but if I had to spend a full day with her family acting nice I would have backed out immediately.

Good luck
thebobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.