Min wage? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Min wage?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've just graduated college & I've worked before, but haven't encountered what I am at my newest job (part-time while I look for a "career" job).

I just started working at a coffee shop, which I have done before while in school. When I started they said they pay server's minimum (4.77) + tips...and they make up the difference to minimum wage if our tips don't get us there (7.79).

I should mention, there's pretty much no way our tips could make up the difference. .. that'd be $3.02/hr in tips every hour consistently. ....I worked 5hrs yesterday & made $2 in tips total.

All that aside, my manager told me not to report tips yet b/c I'm new & after this check to start reporting.

So, I received my money in my account last night and they paid me $359 for 67hrs.

Yes, I have worked before....but I've not dealt with this before....how is this pay legal?

From my understanding... for one they have to choose either server's min or reg min...not a mix...

& no, I'm not some super naive kid either. ...just kinda annoyed right now

Edit: for 67hrs I would have to make $200+ in tips to get to min wage...I made about $75

Sent by a messenger bird

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

What was amount on the cheque before withholdings?

By my (rough) calculation, you should have had $446.89 on your cheque ($6.67/hr paid by employer), then subtract any tax etc..
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
What was amount on the cheque before withholdings?
I don't know, it's direct deposit. I'm going into work today to get a printout with the info.

I guess I could see it coming close before taxes with the $75 (if that) before taxes. ..but still seems low

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post

By my (rough) calculation, you should have had $446.89 on your cheque, then subtract any tax etc..
...yeah, I'm going in to talk to them & see a printout

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to uncle Obama's new tax plan,he takes it all and leaves you with a dollar seventy five.
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Be happy. The more you make the more they take!

I pay more in taxes than you make a month. Ha ha.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98muddyjeep View Post
Welcome to uncle Obama's new tax plan,he takes it all and leaves you with a dollar seventy five.
I'm aware of taxes...but they aren't paying me enough before taxes

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post

Haha. .. I need to find a job in my field soon. .. this nonsense is...well nonsense. I'll be happy to pay more in taxes if I'm actually making some money. Well, not happy I guess but happyish

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
AlTheKillerr

that sucks dude. Ive been at my work for 3 years, taken a dozen training classes, have the lowest rate of customer car returns, have the most knowledge on my side of the shop, have only missed 6 days in 3 years of work from being sick, there every day, never took vacation time. . . I asked for a raise from $8 an hour to $10 and got nothing. Just do what you need to till you find your career. If I could change jobs I would but they work with my odd school scheduling so I am kind of stuck there until I can move into my field of study.

make sure you ask them whats up and to explain it until you understand it.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlTheKillerr View Post
that sucks dude. Ive been at my work for 3 years, taken a dozen training classes, have the lowest rate of customer car returns, have the most knowledge on my side of the shop, have only missed 6 days in 3 years of work from being sick, there every day, never took vacation time. . . I asked for a raise from $8 an hour to $10 and got nothing. Just do what you need to till you find your career. If I could change jobs I would but they work with my odd school scheduling so I am kind of stuck there until I can move into my field of study.

make sure you ask them whats up and to explain it until you understand it.
Yeah I hear you...sucks...I guess people will get away with what they can. Good luck with getting into your field.

I'm going to talk with the manager & or the owner tomorrow & see what they say.

Sent by a messenger bird
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post

The american dream!
I'm about to be making a large sum of money working 60+ hours a week and am not looking forward to a lot of that money being taken away..

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Indy

The more you make the more they take. Pretty much going to be that way until you die so get used to it. On the plus side before too long you'll also be paying a lot every month of insurance, that will help quite a bit when you're starving

Anyway even with dd they should be giving you a paystub every period so you can see what you made and where it went. The minimum wage is only going to affect your gross, when all the fees and taxes are gone what you're left with is the net. Which will be minimal.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Just wait until you get a fulltime job and they really take tax off lol. Nothing like looking at a pay stub and seeing that they took over $1500 from you.
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
Indy

Hell, I'd give my left nut to only lose 1500/month.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Hell, I'd give my left nut to only lose 1500/month.
Two week pay period

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.