Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Meteor shower

787 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  _Yeti_ 
#1 ·
There's supposed to be a meteor shower starting soon, anybody gonna go out and watch? (assuming there's something to see in the first place).
Leonid Meteor Shower: Best Sky Show Tonight
Andrew Fazekas
for National Geographic News
November 16, 2009
During the 2009 Leonid meteor shower, you may see anywhere from 30 to 300 shooting stars an hour, depending on whether you're in the right place to see tonight's showy peak, experts predict.

With the highest number of meteors streaking across the skies around 4:45 p.m. ET on November 17, the full Leonids peak will be effectively invisible for viewers in North America and Europe.

In those regions, sky-watchers are advised to venture out away from bright city lights between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. on the 17th, when they should see 30 to 50 meteors an hour.

(Find out how light pollution has changed our views of the night sky.)

But in Asia, the peak happens during predawn hours, so observers there will have a front row seat for this year's display. (See a NASA map of the 2009 Leonids' peak visibility.)

"Thanks to advances in computer power, since the 1990's we have been able to predict these upswings in activity," said William Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office.

"This year there is going to be a Leonid strong outburst [during the peak], where the rates may race up to 300 per hour," Cooke said.

"But it may have a surprise in store, as well, and bring an unpredicted short peak at some point, so it's worth it for everyone [all around the world] to go out and look."

#4 ·
Oh ok sweet, my college isn't totally out in the country but it's fairly secluded so hopefully we'll have some pretty good visibility. I'm gonna head out as soon as I'm done with this paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.