Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Mean people suck

733 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AKULARED 
#1 ·
I bought my son a surfboard for Christmas, during a time when we're pretty broke. He used it for the first time this week ran in the house and somebody stole it from the back of my house.
You have to understand, my home is surf central. I have twin sons and during the summer there are always at least 7 boards on my back porch. I am friends with most of the local boys, and feed them and they use my outdoor shower. A great bunch. Which jerk took this board.
To top it off, in three weeks I'm taking my boys plus 8 others to Hatteras for a surf trip. Now my son is boardless.

#5 ·
This was a used board so it only cost $200. but that is because it was bought in the winter. Now used boards are more scarce. I might be able to find another used board for the same price if I ride around to all the surf shops. But I really can't spring the $$$ right now. Lots of kids lend their boards out, but boards can be worth quite a bit. My other twin son bought himself a new board last summer that cost close to $600. This son is newer at surfing and Hatteras has bigger waves and different water conditions then here. I don't like my son to borrow because you could break a board pretty easily in a quick accident. Last summer he borrowed an old beat up board and it snapped. Since it was summer, old boards were pretty scarce in the stores. We ended up paying more then the value of the board to have it fixed so the boy would have a board to surf on for the summer. If you broke somebody's more expensive board, they wouldn't want it fixed, they'd want it replaced, because a repaired board looses most of it's value. Because I have so many friends here in the surfing community, over the summer, if somebody tries to use this board, one of our friends will see him. It's a small town. But that doesn't help us now.

#7 ·
I don't surf. I'm the girl who stands on the beach taking pix. I have twin sons who surf. One has been surfing since he was 7. He has a couple of sponsors, and competes in the local circuit. Both of my boys short board, although they often borrow some of the older guys long boards, and when my one son has the $$$ he will buy himself one. Around here, mostly the over 30 crowd longboards, and the younger guys shortboard. But my son also has an oldschool seventies board that is thicker with a single fin. He uses this when waves are really low.
OC NJ is not known for big waves, hence the trip to hatteras. It is the nearest point break to here. I didn't realize it was popular in Oregon. There are shortboards that are good for small waves. Look at things like fish boards. The board my one son just bought, an M10 is made to be quick, but also made for our low wave conditions. Since you are on the West coast you should look on e-bay. There are always tons of California boards there really cheap. The shipping to here is just too much to make them worth it for me.

#8 ·
OC NJ is not known for big waves, hence the trip to hatteras. It is the nearest point break to here. I didn't realize it was popular in Oregon. There are shortboards that are good for small waves. Look at things like fish boards. The board my one son just bought, an M10 is made to be quick, but also made for our low wave conditions. Since you are on the West coast you should look on e-bay. There are always tons of California boards there really cheap. The shipping to here is just too much to make them worth it for me. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry for your loss, that really blows!

Hatteras has some awesome surf at times, wish I was going!!! Last time I was there was when Hurricane Hugo blasted Charleston SC, and it was the best 4 days of surfing I've ever had.

There are a couple of good surf shops in that area, and it is still early, so maybe you can find a deal down there.

HABMAN

#9 ·
i have a 8 foot board and love it(when i do get the chance to surf, not too many waves on the lake:D ) but i take it on vacation with me when i go. is a 8 foot board a long board?

#10 ·
An 8 foot board is not a long board and not a short board. It is what they called a fun board. A board that rides like a long board, yet has the light weight and ease of a short board. Some people use them to learn to surf. Some people use them all of the time, especially in places with smaller surf.

I haven't been to Hatteras since high school, which is a while. But I can't wait. I didn't think of checking the shops there. That's a thought. And Habman, to be in Hatteras when a hurricane is off the coast is probably the best time of all. But keep in mind I am taking ten, 15and16yo boys there. It will be fun but crazy since I have to be the mean chaperone should be interesting. I just hope I can deal with the board problem by then.
By the way, I checked the local shops and somebody was trying to sell a board just like this late last week. The shops he went to were only giving store credit right then, so he didn't sell it. The other shops took my info and will call me and cops if anybody tries to sell this type of board.

#11 ·
NJJeeper said:
<snip> I didn't think of checking the shops there. That's a thought. And Habman, to be in Hatteras when a hurricane is off the coast is probably the best time of all. But keep in mind I am taking ten, 15and16yo boys there. It will be fun but crazy since I have to be the mean chaperone should be interesting. I just hope I can deal with the board problem by then.
The weather in Hatteras during Hugo was awesome, not a cloud in the sky and 85 degrees, but I only had my future wife to watch out for, not 10 teenage boys.

You get my vote for parent of the decade!

Have a great trip, and hope you find a board.

HABMAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.