Make your own maps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Make your own maps?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Make your own maps?

I just ordered my first GPSr, a Legend HCx. By the time I buy the maps I want to put in it I'll have spent more on software than I did for the unit! While surfing for Garmin maps I came across several sites that explain how to make your own maps using free data and software. I've done something similar in the past for my Auran Trainz 2006 (custom terrain for my area) so I have a good idea about what's involved. Has anybody made thier own maps or mapsets, and is the increased accuracy worth the effort?

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm buying a used GPSr, the same model you ordered, actually. . . Great minds think alike, I guess! I plan to buy used to avoid the hassle of having to buy the maps, I can find one locally every other week on CL that already has the local maps installed, and if you buy used, it will either come with the maps disc, or you will save enough to be able to afford to buy the maps and still come in at under the MSRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.