MA General laws and trailer laws - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

MA General laws and trailer laws

Heres the dilemma. Last monday mid morning I was pulled over by 2 DOT cops that work in that specific town. I was in a company vehicle (99 F350 Superduty) towing our landscape trailer (open body Big Tex 70TV). I was traveling 5mph over the posted limit and was going with the flow of traffic. They pulled me over for having an insecure load on the trailer. They checked all my paperwork but asked me for a DOT medical card. Ive never heard anything of this nor havehad any knowledge that I needed one as this vehicle doesnt require a CDL to drive. I got issued a written warning but they said they were going to be waiting again this monday for me. I have an appointment this friday with my PCP for the specific DOT physical that isnt covered under insurance($175). Sooooo long story short....has anyone else had issues with the new trailer inspections and any insight into the new laws. The ticket states MGL 90-31. I looked it up but it isnt any help. Its very vague if you ask me. Thanks guys

FireFighter's Jeep Club #84

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Im getting tired of thinking...guess I'll do some wishful drinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Ibreakevrything
2008 JK Wrangler 

I hope i can help. I work at a garage and we do inspections. as of October 2008 the laws changed as did the entire inspection system. all vehicles over 10k GVRW require a commercial license plate, chock blocks, and you must have your medial card on you. Now heres the part that really sucks for you. F350s have a GVRW of 11K so those rediculous rules applied to you and you probably had no idea. as for the trailer inspection i think its all trailers that require an inspection now. and DOT is prob going to be looking for flares or saftey triangles, a fire extinguisher, and first aid kit aswell as the chock blocks. i hope this helps. i'm really starting to hate MA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY HEEP ^
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Butchy_Boy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Christ our state blows sometimes.

-Nightcrew-
Black Jeep Society
Western Mass 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreismore69 View Post
ha! now I'm not saying I don't love our cherokee or that I haven't seen a few good looking cherokees, but either you are giving your xj too much credit or you've done 4x4'd yourself retarded, girls don't drop em for cherokees, now wranglers on the other hand...:rofl:
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibreakevrything View Post
I hope i can help. I work at a garage and we do inspections. as of October 2008 the laws changed as did the entire inspection system. all vehicles over 10k GVRW require a commercial license plate, chock blocks, and you must have your medial card on you. Now heres the part that really sucks for you. F350s have a GVRW of 11K so those rediculous rules applied to you and you probably had no idea. as for the trailer inspection i think its all trailers that require an inspection now. and DOT is prob going to be looking for flares or saftey triangles, a fire extinguisher, and first aid kit aswell as the chock blocks. i hope this helps. i'm really starting to hate MA
We have the blocks(2 aluminum on the trailer and 2 plastic in the truck) the fire extinguisher, and 1st aide kit in the truck. Also Commercial plates on the truck. The DOT card has never been brought up to us at all. Weve had the truck since 2000. My father, brother and I have never had a DOT medical card done or been told by insurance or RMV that we had to have one.

The trailer inspection was done in January and passed. All lights, brakes, and break away cables work. DO we have to have a set of flares and all that stuff on the trailer as well? or just the tow vehicle has to have them?

Also isnt there a difference between the vehicles GVW and towing capacity? I thought GVW is what the vehicle can hold....vehicle wieght plus load in the bed. Do you also have a copy of the laws or where I can find them? Thanks for the info ibreakeverything.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Ibreakevrything
2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/commercial_regs.pdf
and your welcome
yes our state does suck most of the time
no you dont need a sperate set for the trailer. They didnt really ever let people know of the changes. Next time you go for a sticker it should be completley different. your going to notice that they will be under the truck (well at least my shop we go under the truck on a creeper and look at everything) the other things you probably wont notice. If you have a questions just ask ill try and answer them as best i can and if not ill ask my boss and he will definetly know and i will get back to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY HEEP ^
post #6 of 6 Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
MontyTJ02
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibreakevrything View Post
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/inspect/commercial_regs.pdf
and your welcome
yes our state does suck most of the time
no you dont need a sperate set for the trailer. They didnt really ever let people know of the changes. Next time you go for a sticker it should be completley different. your going to notice that they will be under the truck (well at least my shop we go under the truck on a creeper and look at everything) the other things you probably wont notice. If you have a questions just ask ill try and answer them as best i can and if not ill ask my boss and he will definetly know and i will get back to you.
We know about the truck inspection...its the new trailer laws that im asking about. I appreciate the help. Thats more data I can throw at my boss lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.