Looking to move out west - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Looking to move out west

Just trying to pick people's minds on areas to look at. I'm ready to move somewhere new. I've been looking at Colorado a lot. I want somewhere with elevation changes i.e. Mountains and such, and not far from a busy place. I'm early 20s so I like to do things. Jeeps obviously, motocross, hiking, hunting, snowboarding. I can live in a one room place as long as I have a garage.

Where are you guys from? What places can any of you recommend to live? I've done a good bit of traveling, Ohio, New York, Michigan, WV, Virginia, Georgia, Maryland, Nevada, Arizona, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington, lived in Florida for a year (school) I loved Oregon and Washington.

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
Follow me on Instagram - @thereich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Northern Az is nice.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 65 Old 02-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Indy

I live in Wy, have for a long time. I bought a house in Florida, moving there in the next few months after I sell all my Wy properties. When I was younger I thought about living in colorado. I'm in Ft. Collins/Denver fairly often, glad I didn't move there. I'm really glad I'm moving out of the area entirely. Goodbye shoveling snow, hello girls in bikinis.

"Jeeps obviously, motocross, hiking, hunting, snowboarding."

off-roading can be done kind of year round. Winter off-roading usually consists of 10 minutes forward motion, 3 hours of digging someone out. 10 minutes forward, 3 hours digging, back to the road to head home. I don't off-road in the winter anymore. I used to go with a local club. For me, it's not fun and I don't see the attraction.

Motocross, 3 months out of the year. Because the weather sucks.

Hiking, 3 months out of the year. Because the weather sucks. You can do more longer but dead in the mountains isn't a lot of fun imo. Once the snow starts for the year it gets tricky. I've taken snowmobiles/atv's with people who kept commenting about how weird it was to be driving over saplings a few inches high. Then have them start digging and realize we're driving over the tops of trees, not saplings.

Hunting, 10 days a year. I've been hunting for most of my life, year before last I spent elk season in 30 below weather. Pretty. This year for elk season I went to Florida and went deep sea fishing. Pretty and fun.

Snowboarding, 7 months out of the year. Because of all the above

Out here pretty much everyone talks about moving somewhere 'nice' 'someday'. They usually think about doing it after retirement, but by then most folks are set in their rut and will die here. F that, I'm moving now. I'd rather live somewhere nice and die somewhere nice than live somewhere that makes me unhappy 10 months a year and move somewhere nice just to die.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #4 of 65 Old 02-08-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I'd kinda like to find a happy medium where it's usually warm but I can go in the mountains for anything I'd like to do. I hated Florida, at least where I was stuck. The humidity and 110% of the people are *******s. I didn't like how everything was all tourists. My town gets tourists one weekend a year (Groundhogs day) and it blows.

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
post #5 of 65 Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Colorado is pretty much the obvious answer here.

I haven't been, but my parents really like Seattle and would eventually like to move there.
post #6 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 AM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

SC ain't to shabby
post #7 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 12:29 AM
93_cherokee

I'm in southern az. Yes it gets hot in the summer but all this week we will be in the upper ,70s and sunny. I am an hour from many trails, about half an hour from hunting spots, and 45 minutes from a lake. I can work on my jeep pretty much any time of the year and not have to worry about shoveling snow out of my driveway. In the summer, if Iget too hot, i go inside with ac or drive to a mountain near by where its 30 degrees cooler
post #8 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
SC ain't to shabby
That's been in the back of my head. I just like the idea of being closer to Moab and such. And since I was 4 years old I've wanted to ride my bike at Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) and "the hills" in Cali.

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
post #9 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
Yeah I'd kinda like to find a happy medium where it's usually warm but I can go in the mountains for anything I'd like to do. I hated Florida, at least where I was stuck. The humidity and 110% of the people are *******s. I didn't like how everything was all tourists. My town gets tourists one weekend a year (Groundhogs day) and it blows.
IME you have to get out of the tourist areas, after that there's a lot of nice. I've been in/around Orlando repeatedly. Too many people, all tourists and tourist shops. Fun enough to visit for short time but that's it. I was just down in Miami, same story. BUT lambo and ferrari dealerships. I saw more 4 wheeled awesome driving down the street that week than the last 4 decades combined.

I bought north of Melbourne. It's about 15 minutes to the ocean, about 100k people. Where I am now, about 80k I think. And I think I'll be able to sit on my deck and watch rockets launch from canaveral.

We get tourists 2-3 weeks a year. "Frontier Days". Dumb and a half IMO, looking forward to never dealing with it again

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #10 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_cherokee View Post
I'm in southern az. Yes it gets hot in the summer but all this week we will be in the upper ,70s and sunny. I am an hour from many trails, about half an hour from hunting spots, and 45 minutes from a lake. I can work on my jeep pretty much any time of the year and not have to worry about shoveling snow out of my driveway. In the summer, if Iget too hot, i go inside with ac or drive to a mountain near by where its 30 degrees cooler

I have 4' drifts around my house. I've got a 40x60 shop that I hardly use because it's so F'ing cold. I've spent about the last week working on my mustang out there, with a 75k btu torpedo heater blasting at me from 5' away.

And people ask why I want to move I am going to miss the shop though. I spent most of my life wanting one, finally got, can only use it sometimes, and now I'm getting ready to lose it to a 2 car garage. I'm just hoping my tools will all fit

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #11 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 01:30 PM
11B-33T

2004 WJ 

^ @Indy,

Florida = hurricanes, tornadoes, Die-95, seasonal migrations of snowbirds, spring-breakers, summer vacationers and roaming sinkholes to swallow your neighborhood/home/car.

However, hot latina babes hanging from each tree should equal a buncha the above out!

11B-33T
- 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee SE
- 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
post #12 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

The one thing I liked about FL... My Cuban chick

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
post #13 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Reno is absolutely blowing up. Tons of big things coming in work wise. Tons of work to be had, about 30 minutes from one of the top 10 most beautiful and outdoors friendly areas in the world (Tahoe). City is at about 4500' elevation, I can be at sea level or 10,000' within 2 hours. Its a city, but by no means big city feeling.

Northern nevada is pretty amazing.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

post #14 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 07:23 PM
vetteonr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Northern Az is nice.
Exactly! I moved to Prescott last year and I love it here.

"The road of life should be a two-track"
post #15 of 65 Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 PM
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Used to live in Prescott and Show low. One thing about being here, trails start 2 miles from my house, there are hundereds of miles of trails around here. from easy to you wont make it all rocky trails no mud, nice. many Jeep clubs and many jeepers live out here. we are central area too can be in moab or Rubicon in a easy days ride. or Colorado, New mexico. Would wear a jeep out trying to run them all. But work here is very limited.

http://www.parker4wheelers.net
www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.