Looking into getting a jeep--need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Looking into getting a jeep--need advice

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
rcfitz86

Looking into getting a jeep--need advice

Well I知 off to college (miami of ohio) in a few short months and between the price of college and the car payments, I知 really digging deep into their pockets. My parents haven't asked me to sell the car but I really want to help them out. It think it would be a really nice gesture help, sorta thanking them for all the -=-=-=-= they've had to deal with. Plus, I don't want to take the R32 to college cause the weather and kids will take a huge toll on the car. So with that said, I知 looking into a cheaper beater-car to take to college that will reduce payments, on both the car itself and insurance, and be capable in -=-=-=-=ty weather that may come. I知 looking into getting a late 90's jeep Cherokee or wrangler but I need advise on what years, engines, body styles, etc. to look at/stay away from. And because I mod everything I own, a jeep that I can mod out.

--CONCLUSION--
What jeep (Cherokee/wrangler) should I get to replace the R32, while reducing payments and giving me flexibility in moding.

thanks!

rcfitz86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Billy Ray

Not a Jeep, but a used Honda would fit your needs. Cheap. Cheap to insure (just get liability coverage). Reliable. Cheap to fix. Front wheel drive.

BR
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
rcfitz86

if it had to be a jeep what would it be?
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Sammy Jenkins

i think he is asking wat jeep. not which car. wouldn't the AWD R32 be nice in the winter though?

u can find a used TJ Wrangler ('97 and up) now for around $10k. make sure u get 4.0L engine and then the 5 sp mannual (if yea like mannual trannies) w/ FULL DOORS. <----- i think those ought to be the things u should look for.
Sammy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
uglyprimate

Ok, so I have no idea what an R32 is, so I don't know what you got.
For cheap, go Cherokee
For style, go Wrangler
For College, go practical

Mid 90's Cherokee for about $2500 with some life still in it.
Carry more friends, more beer, more security than a Wrangler
and it has more room for naughty in the back.

Wranglers at college are like fat girls at flea market. Everywhere you look.

but until the Cherokee is built, it's total "geek" factor
uglyprimate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #6
Sammy Jenkins

VW R32 = a beefed up GTI with 245 hp, AWD, w/some nice *** seats, and a 6 spd tranny.
Sammy Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
rcfitz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyprimate
Ok, so I have no idea what an R32 is, so I don't know what you got.
For cheap, go Cherokee
For style, go Wrangler
For College, go practical

Mid 90's Cherokee for about $2500 with some life still in it.
Carry more friends, more beer, more security than a Wrangler
and it has more room for naughty in the back.

Wranglers at college are like fat girls at flea market. Everywhere you look.

but until the Cherokee is built, it's total "geek" factor
AGREED! that's so true. yeah i need the extra space for hockey -=-=-=-= and friends. i really like hooked up cherokees. what engines do the XJ's have?
Unread 04-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
rcfitz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Jenkins
i think he is asking wat jeep. not which car. wouldn't the AWD R32 be nice in the winter though?

u can find a used TJ Wrangler ('97 and up) now for around $10k. make sure u get 4.0L engine and then the 5 sp mannual (if yea like mannual trannies) w/ FULL DOORS. <----- i think those ought to be the things u should look for.
yeah untill the snow is over 3 inches, then it becomes an awd snow plow with nice *** seats.
Unread 04-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfitz86
AGREED! that's so true. yeah i need the extra space for hockey -=-=-=-= and friends. i really like hooked up cherokees. what engines do the XJ's have?
As far as I know the only engine on that Jeep that you would want is the 4.0L I6. They made a 2.9(?) V6 a while back so I am not sure when they stopped making that engine but it was a good thing they no longer make it

The 4.0L is a great engine, runs forever and very durable in my experiences with it.

Good Luck,
Ryan
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
jeepom
2005 KJ Liberty 

The 4 cyl is actually an option - easier on the pocketbook if you're buying used. The 6 is nice but it's not a necessity. I have the 4 and I'm quite happy...
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #11
rcfitz86

yeah i think i'll go with the 4.0 I-six.
Unread 04-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
Slimpee

I have the 4-banger and yes, i would like more power, but, combined with the automatic (yeah yeah, i know, slushboxes are for pansies), i am not particularly worried about breaking my axles, which are stock w/ a locked rear and 33" MTR's to turn...just a thought it you're going to wheel a lot
[COLOR=Navy][B]Student Jeep Club member #1[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Red Jeep Club member #umm, let's say 400[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Protector and Chief Educator of the Jeep Wave[/B][/COLOR]
Great YJ site: [URL=http://www.jedi.com]www.jedi.com[/URL]
Slimpee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #13
thebulkinator

Where in bethesda are you? Do you go to BCC(I do)? This is Ben(bulk if you know me from crew), junior and obviously, on crew. If you have any questions on jeeps whatever just approach me during school. Also WTF is an R32? Who is this, what senior are you? Get back to me or IM me at thebulkinator on AIM.
thebulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #14
LibertyV6

Gotta be carfeul when you buy used. Something can go wrong, like a cracked radiator, or a bad transmission, or a multitude of random things that just happen when the miles accumulate.

I hear you when you say you are on a $$ contsraint. At least you recognize it, unlike other people who buy new 300C's and then have them inpounded 5 months later cuz they cant make the payments....

But if you have a steady job at college, even if it's 20 hours a week--- you should buy a new vehicle with minimal options and then trade it in for something you really want when you graduate and get a real job.

See if you can go to a GM Chevy dealer and see if they have any Blazer's left. GM is practically giving away their model year SUV's at 1/2 price. Just get the basics--- AC, 4WD, power locks, ABS, nothing unnecessary like sunroof etc.

If you want to get a Jeep though I would suggest either a Wrangler or Liberty 4 banger with minimal options. Although your best avenue would be to get a Liberty Sport 3.7L 4WD with no options. THey have great reliability rankings and are on the low side of insurance.

If you must buy used--- like you said, a Cherokee would be the best way to go. Good luck.
[U]ADDED[/U] MAGNAFLOW stainless muffler, Turbolator exhaust tip, K&N drop-in, ECLIPSE CD5000 8V HeadUnit, Infinity KAPPA speakers (all w/ Dynamat) run off RF 800a4 amp, One 12" [COLOR=DarkRed][B]KICKER[/B] [/COLOR] [COLOR=Blue]Solo-Baric[/COLOR] L7 subwoofer - run off RF 500a2 amp, 2 AURA under-seat bass shakers using alpine Flex2 amp, Front/ rear Mopar window flares, front slush mats, eurostyle antenna, Power Horn with Uniden PA Mic, 3" Smittybilt step rails[/FONT]
LibertyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #15
rcfitz86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulkinator
Where in bethesda are you? Do you go to BCC(I do)? This is Ben(bulk if you know me from crew), junior and obviously, on crew. If you have any questions on jeeps whatever just approach me during school. Also WTF is an R32? Who is this, what senior are you? Get back to me or IM me at thebulkinator on AIM.
i go to landon. and this is an r32...mine. like it was said earlier... 240hp, AWD, 6-speed, *****in seats, and other stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.