Looking for a good 5.1 stereo receiver - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Looking for a good 5.1 stereo receiver

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looking for a good 5.1 stereo receiver

I've been looking at stereo receivers for awhile now and pretty much narrowed it down to 2. There's a Sony and the Onkyo. Which brand would you get and why? The Onkyo has slightly better reviews over the Sony. The Sony has HDMI switching but I don't plan on running any video through it (my TV has enough inputs for what I need). I just want good surround sound for movies. Sony or Onkyo?

Sony
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=176878

Onkyo
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo...oductDetail.do

SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have an Onkyo and really like it.

What's your budget?
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

you really should think of running video through a GOOD reciever. I love onkyo products. especially compared to sony but not that reciever.
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
AlTheKillerr

my brother has an onkyo and its awesome
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

$200 is a bit low. I'm not sure you'd be entirely happy with either one.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

yeah my last reciever through them was 500, but man it is sick. Pony up some cash for it and you wont be dissappointed
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

You probably DO want to pass through the HDMI to the TV otherwise it's possible you can get audio sync issues, I know that I do when I use the component feed to the TV and the audio through the digital coax to my receiver.... and I don't have a cheap receiver, it's a Sony STR-DA5200ES.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.