Looking to Buy a Jeep, any pointers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Looking to Buy a Jeep, any pointers?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-06-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
tif22

Looking to Buy a Jeep, any pointers?

Hi All!

I am new here and I thought you guys would be a perfect crowd to ask.

I am looking at buying a used Jeep (J series)
in a few months?

Does anyone have any helpful hints or what to look for, etc?

Any help would be apreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Tif

Unread 01-06-2002, 03:16 PM   #2
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Two questions that will be a catalyst for comments and suggestions in here are-

1) What do you plan on doing with it?

2) How much do you want to spend?

If you want it for wheeling there are certain platforms that you can look for that are upgradable and work well with aftermarket parts. If your looking for a daily driver thats a different story, you probably want something with a warranty. I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions in here

Welcome!!!
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2002, 03:20 PM   #3
tif22

I guess I should have clarified a little more

Alright here goes:

I am looking for something for getting around town but also has some room to play (why else would you get a jeep )

I am looking at an '83 -91

I only want to spend about $3000

hope that helps a bit

thanks

tif
Unread 01-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well that puts you in the CJ- YJ category (unless you want a cherokee) CJ's are great but they stopped production in 1986 which means you have to shop around quite a bit to find one in good condition. I love CJ's - but the majority of people who own spend a lot of time and money restoring them. On the good side, they wind up turning them into quite impressive off-road machines. YJ's are a dime a dozen and its easier to find one in good shape. I would get a 6 cyl if possible, the 4 banger will grow old- especially if your running bigger tires. Its all up to you what you want. Reguardless CJ, YJ, or XJ -I would have a mechanic look at it, find out what the problems (if any) are and post them up here to see what others think. You have people in here who have replaced or worked on every nut and bolt jeep has to offer. Just my 2 cents
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.