Looking to buy first rifle. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Looking to buy first rifle.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep seats at Jeephut.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Looking to buy first rifle.

Ok guys I'm thinking about buying my first rifle, mainly for home defense and maybe the occasional target shooting. I'm not much of a gun person never was, I never shot anything more then a pellet gun or paintball gun. I would like something small so my mother could shoot it to being I still live at home. I don't know much about guns as I said, but I'm thinking something like a .22. I want something cheap to shoot, i also don't wanna spend alot to purchase the rifle either. If it turns out this is something I might get into then I'll buy a better one. Also from what I've read i don't need any paper work to buy or own in pa if im wrong someone please correct me. I'm 24 to if that helps.

90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
sheila_the_xj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm well you kind of have contradicting "wants", you want a home defense weapon, andddd a plinker? Those are two different categories!
Edit- Rifles usually dont make very good self defense weapons, shotguns do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootz View Post
how would she know about boxes on the porch, unless the porch is right beside the kitchen? Confused:confused::confused:
Quote:
jeeps earn nicknames. a zj on 31's, hhmmmm. Mallcrawl would work so would headingtothestoreformilkandeggs or maybe hardcoreforhighway
Quote:
damn, your barracks have actual wallboard and hardwood floors? you must be AF
sheila_the_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I want something I can shoot but justify owning it for protection. I dont want a gun just sitting there not being used, Id like to shoot it once and a great while.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Indy

Yep, pretty much polar opposites there. Cheap to shoot .22lr is hard to beat. Good SD... pretty much anything but a .22lr. Accurate at the range, rifle. Good for in the home... pretty much anything but a long gun.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Indy

Don't try to justify the ownership. A good home SD weapon goes to the range long enough to remain proficient and the rest of the time it lives at home.

I've been a hunter/range guy for a good chunk of my life. I was a cop and taught SD for a good chunk of my adult life.

I have a garage full of tools because 1 tool doesn't do every job well. Same reason I own more than 1 firearm.

A .22 pistol would be about the right starting point IMO. What you learn from shooting it and being safe with it, transitions to the larger calibers fairly easy. Starting with a larger caliber for 99% of the population leads to bad habits that transition down a lot faster.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Mossberg 500 AND a Ruger 10/22.
Start saving.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Don't try to justify the ownership. A good home SD weapon goes to the range long enough to remain proficient and the rest of the time it lives at home.

I've been a hunter/range guy for a good chunk of my life. I was a cop and taught SD for a good chunk of my adult life.

I have a garage full of tools because 1 tool doesn't do every job well. Same reason I own more than 1 firearm.
Isn't there something in the middle, like a vise grip you can use it for alot of different things.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408 View Post
Mossberg 500 AND a Ruger 10/22.
Start saving.
See I'd like to start off cheap, then if it turns out I like it move up. Like my jeep I started out stock and built it up to fit my needs.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
GunMetalBlue
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rock out.
image-3302128902.jpg  

[FONT="Arial Black"][B][I]shall not be infringed[/I][/B][/FONT]
GunMetalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

A rifle is generally not well-suited for home defense. Too big, too slow, too unwieldly. If you want something for home defense and you don't want a handgun, a shotgun (loaded with slugs) is the way to go. If you don't mind a handgun, a .357 magnum is not a bad choice.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
jwhite207
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ruger mini 14. keep a 30 round in the night stand with the gun under the bed and take it to the range on the weekends. I can make cloverleafs at 100 yards off a picnic table. I absolutely love mine and .223 isnt too expensive. Plus its fun to shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. Goodluck, have fun!
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Scout734
...is this real life?

2000 TJ Wrangler 

This is what you want for home defense....

mossberg.jpg  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4pMoh1wBKk&NR=1

Yellow Jeep Club member #734
Scout734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
sheila_the_xj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I would start with shotgun you can get a decent and reliable one pretty cheap. Such as a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, both shotguns are cheap easy to use, great for self defense, and can be used to shoot clays (one of my all time favorite sporting events). Ammunition is cheap and so are clays. Both can be purchased in 12 or 20 gauge, id go with 20 if you want your Mom to enjoy it too.
Feel free to PM me with further questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootz View Post
how would she know about boxes on the porch, unless the porch is right beside the kitchen? Confused:confused::confused:
Quote:
jeeps earn nicknames. a zj on 31's, hhmmmm. Mallcrawl would work so would headingtothestoreformilkandeggs or maybe hardcoreforhighway
Quote:
damn, your barracks have actual wallboard and hardwood floors? you must be AF
sheila_the_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #14
austin6137
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm not allowed to have a hand gun, mom says no not a big deal. I was looking on google and found a marlin .22lr semiautomatic its $150. Maybe after she shoots a rifle she'll warm up to a hand gun down the road. But is that a decent starter gun, the reviews are good.
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
jwhite207
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout734 View Post
This is what you want for home defense....

sexy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.