Lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Lockers

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
astn666

Lockers

Hould i get air, auto, or cable lockers or just a winch?

astn666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy all the things
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
astn666

Why would i buy 3 types of lockers for one vehicle
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A winch does not replace any kind of locker. Post this in a tech section, not GD.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
astn666

I know it doesnt i was just thinkin i can get lockers to not get stuck in the trail or go cheaper and get a winch for if i do get stuck, but ok.
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

I like the ox locker myself. Wouldn't waste it on anything under a 44 tho. Get a set of Spartan lunch box lockers, and a rci winch .that will get you goin.
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

Xrc winch.... sorry bud light lol
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't feed the troll
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
astn666

Alright thanks for the input
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You should post this in a tech section and fill out your profile info so we know more about your Jeep, the answer to this question depends largely on what other kind of stuff you have.

But, since no one else seems to want to help you I guess I will.

If you have stock axles (dana 30 front, dana 35 rear), I wouldn't waste my money on expensive lockers, at least not on the rear. Ideally you'd want lockers front and rear, with axles strong enough to handle them (which the d35 is not, anyone that says otherwise is just making themselves feel better because they still have one, and/or wasted money upgrading it), and a reliable winch.

If I were in your position, heres what I would, and have done. Put an auto locker that just replaces the spider gears in the front axle. Brands like powertrax and aussie are both good. Then get a warn M8000, wait until you find them on sale, I payed $370 for mine. People might say that the chinese winches such as smittybilt and mile marker are just as good, but in my experience they are not. I've had problems with my mile marker, and have seen enough smittybilts fail to the point where someone couldn't give me one for free to put on the front of my Jeep. Doing all this will cost you a little under $700.

Then once you have money, put a stronger rear axle in (the ford 8.8 is a cheap and fairly easy swap), then put a locker in it. Your budget and use will be the deciding factor in what you put in it. If it's a going to just be something for trails, then a detroit, or if that isn't in your budget, another auto locker would be good. If you plan on driving it a lot on the street, you'll be happier with a selectable locker, such as an ARB or an OX locker. Neither are cheap unless you can find them on sale, which is usually rare.

Happy Jeeping
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astn666 View Post
I k9now it doesnt i was just thinkin i can get lockers to not get stuck in the trail or go cheaper and get a winch for if i do get stuck, but ok.
Lockers don't keep you from getting stuck, they just allow you to get stuck worse farther down the trail.

I think recovery and protection (armor) should be higher on the list than lockers. Even if you wheel with buddies that can get you out I would still rather have a winch.

As far as lockers I have ARBs and I am very happy with them and am glad I have selectable lockers. I would go ARB because they have been around longer and have a very good reputation.

If you have a D35 rear replacing it should be high on the list also, the D30in front is fine with 33s and smaller. When I ran 35s on my Dana 30 it wentthrough hubs and u joints faster than I would have liked, but nothing brokethey just wore faster. I went back to 33s after running 35s.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Recovery gear > unnecessary traction.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As stated before a locker still lets you get stuck, but just in worse situations in even more remote areas with even less chances of finding capable help for recovery, basically means you'll have a long walk back when you do inevitably get stuck. They also let you get in to bad situations, where a normal open diff would have lost traction and stopped you, a locker will let you keep going until you're either upside down or really, really stuck.

Winches let you self recover and more times than not help recover other vehicles, and if you can get over something chances are you can winch your way up and out of it, it'll just take an half an hour.

I say throw an auto locker up front and get a cheap winch, best of both worlds for about the same price of one ARB locker.

However one thing you can't buy that's worth more than the most expensive stuff is wheeling with a group and experience, never wheel alone, know your capabilities, and most importantly, know when to give up.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
Hould i get air, auto, or cable lockers or just a winch?
Quote:
I know it doesnt i was just thinkin i can get lockers to not get stuck in the trail or go cheaper and get a winch for if i do get stuck, but ok.
You may want to check the laws in your country. btw---what country are you from?
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Winches are a waste of money, wenches are where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.