Like RC airplanes? Are you a pilot or just like building stuff? Check out this video - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Like RC airplanes? Are you a pilot or just like building stuff? Check out this video

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
I won't argue though you seem not to realize this is the AMAs allocation for what is to be considered and flown within their sanctions as a park flyer. These are their restrictions based on safety issues. A plane doing 120mph in a park isn't exactly the SAFEST thing in the world.

Agree to disagree I suppose.
It's generally what has been come to be known as a park flyer by pretty much all pilots.. Something that can comfortably be flown in a park with friendly bystanders watching on. It sends the wrong message when you start to fly heavy aircraft, or fast aircraft. Besides, the least we can do is accept what the AMA has set forth as definitions, otherwise radio control model aircraft would be pretty much shut down in this country, as of late.

-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #32
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
It's generally what has been come to be known as a park flyer by pretty much all pilots.. Something that can comfortably be flown in a park with friendly bystanders watching on. It sends the wrong message when you start to fly heavy aircraft, or fast aircraft. Besides, the least we can do is accept what the AMA has set forth as definitions, otherwise radio control model aircraft would be pretty much shut down in this country, as of late.
Why? Because the AMA's members panicked after that A-hole was going to fly a jet into the pentagon filled with explosives? The only thing the AMA has saved from being taken away are jets. Nothing else was ever in danger of being shut down.
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #33
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here's some cool FPV footage from a guy in Park City. I WILL be building one of these setups

I'd want to build one that includes the on-screen display... kinda like this

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #34
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Sounds like if you want to get out of eyesight with it, you need a HAM license.
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #35
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The added available frequencies can't hurt. My buddy that has been flying for ~10 years says that with some of these tripod antenna/repeater systems you can push the distance out a few miles or more.

Also, there are some really cool autopilot setups. You can program a flight plan, take off, fly the plane manually until it gets to be out of range, then kick on the autopilot and have it run its course. It can sit there and loiter over an area for a while, recording video to be reviewed later or transmitting it back to you real time. After it has run its plan, it will return to base where you can take over manually again to land it.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #36
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Since we're all posting up videos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrachi View Post
Why? Because the AMA's members panicked after that A-hole was going to fly a jet into the pentagon filled with explosives? The only thing the AMA has saved from being taken away are jets. Nothing else was ever in danger of being shut down.
It was not AMA members, it was the FAA wanting to ground ALL model aircraft activities after numerous threats, incidents with full size size aircraft and model aircraft, as well as many incidents with bystanders from inconsiderate and idiotic pilots. The FAA had quite the arsenal of evidence that they needed to shut down modelling entirely in the USA. Everything from small walmart toys all the way up to Jet-A burning turbine jets.

And FWIW the threats they received were from some towel head thinking he could waltz right into a hobby shop and buy the cheapest EDF Jet he could find, stuff it full of 10lbs of explosives, and fly it into the WhiteHouse. An experienced modeler would know that 3 strikes means you're out (of your mind)
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Sounds like if you want to get out of eyesight with it, you need a HAM license.
You need a spotter to make sure you're not going to fly the plane into a civilian aircraft or a building or whatnot. Someone with binoculars works quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
The added available frequencies can't hurt. My buddy that has been flying for ~10 years says that with some of these tripod antenna/repeater systems you can push the distance out a few miles or more.

Also, there are some really cool autopilot setups. You can program a flight plan, take off, fly the plane manually until it gets to be out of range, then kick on the autopilot and have it run its course. It can sit there and loiter over an area for a while, recording video to be reviewed later or transmitting it back to you real time. After it has run its plan, it will return to base where you can take over manually again to land it.
2.4ghz works off of line of sight. So if you can situate yourself where the transmitter and see the airplane, then you're only limited to 4-5 miles. Which quite frankly is rather far for a model airplane when you think about it.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #38
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

haha Your battery would likely die before you get that far....depending on how fast your plane is. I wanted to set up a fpv setup for a while but just never got around to it. Its pretty involved
squirlgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #39
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Since we're all posting up videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C_3iBUVXiA

It was not AMA members, it was the FAA wanting to ground ALL model aircraft activities after numerous threats, incidents with full size size aircraft and model aircraft, as well as many incidents with bystanders from inconsiderate and idiotic pilots. The FAA had quite the arsenal of evidence that they needed to shut down modelling entirely in the USA. Everything from small walmart toys all the way up to Jet-A burning turbine jets.

And FWIW the threats they received were from some towel head thinking he could waltz right into a hobby shop and buy the cheapest EDF Jet he could find, stuff it full of 10lbs of explosives, and fly it into the WhiteHouse. An experienced modeler would know that 3 strikes means you're out (of your mind)
Show me where the FAA has said they want to ground model aircraft.
Unread 02-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #40
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrachi View Post
Show me where the FAA has said they want to ground model aircraft.
Don't hold your breath.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #41
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
Don't hold your breath.

I know

FAA has never said any of those things he mentions.
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #42
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It will take time to dig it up, but basically the FAA wanted to ground a lot of airplanes, anything over about 3lbs, wingspans bigger than 2M, flight speeds excess of 100mph, etc. A LOT of airplanes are easily capable of that, so we would be limited to parkflyers, essentially. No more fast airplanes, no more large gliders, no more dynamic soaring, no more FPV, nothing, essentially. A LOT of the modelling community lies within the aforementioned things. If the FAA gained control over those things, I haven't a single dobut in my mind that they would eventually re-evaluate and shut down modelling entirely. But here is what the outcome was:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/me...enateBill.aspx
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #43
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirlgod View Post
haha Your battery would likely die before you get that far....depending on how fast your plane is. I wanted to set up a fpv setup for a while but just never got around to it. Its pretty involved
Not really, any sport plane can fly that far easily, such as an Eflite Mini Pulse. And get back too on one battery, you can't forget that we're seeing 15-20 minute flight times with mixed throttle use. Hell I had a Sig Rascal .40 (which is no small airplane by any means) that I routinely got 10 minutes off of on a 4000mah 15C pack at near full throttle, which came down as warm. Could easily fly a 10 mile round trip.
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #44
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I guess thats true. We used to run lipos on our gws planes that still had brushed motors and I literally could fly it for a half hour if I was careful
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #45
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW, anyone ever thought about those fpv systems that have servo mounted cameras where you can look around? I got to dig up a video of a guy who shot amazing footage like that.

here it is: http://youtu.be/M5ZZtsYUobA

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.