Like RC airplanes? Are you a pilot or just like building stuff? Check out this video - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Like RC airplanes? Are you a pilot or just like building stuff? Check out this video

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrekII View Post
I damn near bought a V tail Bonanza in 89 for 10k....wish I had now, they're "collectable"

I love these planes, they're simply awesome...
Beech had an AD shortly before that, the V-tails were shearing and killing folks left and right...Your ten grand investment would have been a drop in the bucket with the 20 grand or so required to fix the fuselage before it would be airworthy again.
Got to admit though, they are a pretty sharp looking airplane!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
ShrekII
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Over 50lbs and they require a very specific license in order to fly them, because otherwise they can be deemed a hazard to fly.

Bill Hempel makes 50-60% scale airplanes (that's half the size of the real airplane), and he doesn't fly them gingerly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dRdmuPa7cE
lol

Piper cub...the Jeep of Airplanes!
ShrekII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
ShrekII
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
Beech had an AD shortly before that, the V-tails were shearing and killing folks left and right...Your ten grand investment would have been a drop in the bucket with the 20 grand or so required to fix the fuselage before it would be airworthy again.
Got to admit though, they are a pretty sharp looking airplane!
Yeah, I was aware of that...I was going through A&P school at the time. This one was already "fixed".

edit: I think it was ...it's been a long time...
ShrekII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What I wouldn't do for that P51 Mustang.......would be SOOOO fun.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
Expensive hobby. I joined the AMA for about a year, got really into it. Was a lot of fun while it lasted but I found my desire to pour moolah into my Jeep outweighed the RC plane. I still remember watching guys come out with hand launch park flyers that zip around at 120-150mph. Things were just plain sick!
I built a flying wing that hand launched and went 125. I beefed it up with as much carbon fiber as i could but it still just flew it self to pieces over time haha.
squirlgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrekII View Post
lol

Piper cub...the Jeep of Airplanes!
Precisely.

Quote:
Expensive hobby. I joined the AMA for about a year, got really into it. Was a lot of fun while it lasted but I found my desire to pour moolah into my Jeep outweighed the RC plane. I still remember watching guys come out with hand launch park flyers that zip around at 120-150mph. Things were just plain sick!
Those aren't parkflyers... Too fast... Only an idiot would fly something that quick in a public park.

That being said, their speed pales in comparison to this:

http://youtu.be/rfoxjNg-eg0

Horrible camera work, I know, but they do have an official record for worlds fastest radio controlled aircraft. And it's powered by wind!!

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Those aren't parkflyers... Too fast... Only an idiot would fly something that quick in a public park.
Park Flyers are classified by weight, size, and mobility, not by speed.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

All very cool. Looks like a ton of fun. I've been thinking about building (a) small recon drone(s) ala

Quote:

Bill Hempel makes 50-60% scale airplanes (that's half the size of the real airplane)...
Oh, really?!

I had to do it...
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
All very cool. Looks like a ton of fun. I've been thinking about building (a) small recon drone(s) ala http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZAIt7OrPs&NR
Ever since I saw the guys at DEFCON a couple years ago messing with cheap GPS nav'd drones, sending video back to their iPhones real-time, I've wanted to build one...
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Park Flyers are classified by weight, size, and mobility, not by speed.
As per the AMA, this is the definition of a "park flyer":

Park Flyer models will weigh two pounds or less and be incapable of reaching speeds greater than 60 mph. They must be electric or rubber powered, or of any similar quiet means of propulsion. Models should be remotely controlled or flown with a control line, remain within the pilot’s line of sight at all times, and always be flown safely by the operator.

There aren't much limitations for size (I.E. wingspan and fuselage length) because some gliders may only weigh 18oz, but can have 80"+ wingspans.

Anything else is not a park flyer by the true definition. Multiplex FunJets can often reach speeds of 160mph+ and weigh as much as 50oz.

[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Unread 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Oh, really?!

I had to do it...
Not everyone knows what we mean by saying "50% scale"...

Unread 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
Kerovick

But they should.
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not really... The most I've ever heard of someone investing into a model airplane is about $30k, for a twin turbine model.
Yep, as I said, that $30K price is more than some flyable airplanes I have priced in the past. Not ultralights, I mean real airplanes... I've found older used Pipers and Cessnas for sale under $30K a number of times. I wish I would have bought one when I could have afforded it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirlgod View Post
and I just watched that video. I don't want this to come out wrong but those landings were ****ty. Those pilots should not be owning planes of that size and power if they dont know how to safely operate them. I could do a better job then most all of those landings haha whatever those are great models.
Landing an RC airplane while standing off to the side at an angle isn't as easy as it may seem. I'm a pilot and it's difficult enough to land a real airplane in a cross-wind, let alone remote-control land a model airplane in a crosswind when you're not inside it to better manage the controls. Even great pilots occasionally make bad landings... RC or real.

Some of those landings were scary/almost fatal for the airplane but that's RC for you. You can bet big $$$ the pilots running the controls weren't beginners at RC.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I mean trust me I know how hard it can be to land an RC. I cant even imagine the real thing. I tried the simulators for a while and just couldn't get the hang of it. In general as far as RC goes though, the bigger the plane the easier it is to fly. My assumption though is that it was really windy on the day of the event and they couldnt simply postpone. Also as always with those scale contests, those planes arent kits, they are literal scaled down models from original plans, so it usually takes a better part of the year just to design and build it....their owners aren't really flying in their free time haha.
squirlgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #30
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As per the AMA, this is the definition of a "park flyer":

Park Flyer models will weigh two pounds or less and be incapable of reaching speeds greater than 60 mph. They must be electric or rubber powered, or of any similar quiet means of propulsion. Models should be remotely controlled or flown with a control line, remain within the pilot’s line of sight at all times, and always be flown safely by the operator.

There aren't much limitations for size (I.E. wingspan and fuselage length) because some gliders may only weigh 18oz, but can have 80"+ wingspans.

Anything else is not a park flyer by the true definition. Multiplex FunJets can often reach speeds of 160mph+ and weigh as much as 50oz.
I won't argue though you seem not to realize this is the AMAs allocation for what is to be considered and flown within their sanctions as a park flyer. These are their restrictions based on safety issues. A plane doing 120mph in a park isn't exactly the SAFEST thing in the world.

Agree to disagree I suppose.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.