Lift my jeep or buy a Ninja motorcycle? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Lift my jeep or buy a Ninja motorcycle?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
SIUADOG
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

motorcycles are never really as economical as you think they are. Most bikes get 40mpg and over, but drive chains and sprockets wear out every 18K miles, tires last 10K (less on liter bikes) and unless you do your own maintenance, you could be looking at a $500 tune up every year. Like every "enthusiast" vehicle, they all become money pits.
If you are mechanically competent, small displacement in-town bikes, like a Ninja 250, make a great second vehicle,

But then again, no one really rides a bike to save money....

SIUADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

its an excuse, and ins and reg is next to nothing. for back and forth to work its $10 a day in the jeep or $10 a week on the bike

$500 for a tune up? man I'm glad i hate the stealerships and do my own work.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
Kerovick

Bike
Kerovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I would never buy a Ninja motorcycle.
You never know if they are going to silently sneak up behind you and kill you.
Give me a samuri bike any day they run by a code
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
Ralphrlong

Get the bike.

The Jeep is already a pretty capable vehicle that you can have lots of fun with.

The bike will allow you have a whole different kind of fun, when you are not able to go wheeling.
Ralphrlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get the bike. i've owned a ninja 600 in the past, great bikes and not hard to to the maintenance yourself on them. Now, if i could just stop wrecking the damn things....
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Lift the bike...............
It's the only reasonable option, if you think about it.
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #23
Indy

It would be cheaper to cut 2 wheels off the jeep.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
It would take 20000 miles @ $3.25 fuel to save $3000. Then insurance, registration, and the bike would need 2 or 3 rear tires and 1 or 2 front tires in that time. That's a $1000, So it takes a lot of miles on a cheap bike to save $$. But I would never be without several bikes, BTW. It's a good selling point to the wife, but bikes don't save $$.
My first bike saved me enough gas to pay the payments and insurance for 8 months out of the year. But none the less, once you own it you don't give a **** whether you're saving money or not. Once you go bike you never go back lmao
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #25
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bike, do it.

I got a great deal on my ninja 250, 390miles (yes, really 390 miles), garage kept, not running (idle jet plugged up, few missing parts from the PO trying to fix it and giving up), 1000$. The thing gets 60+ MPG, maintenance is easy, even valve adjustments can be done in under an hour, parts aren't to bad and if you can install a lift you can change a drive chain or tire. Only problem is the bike can become its own money pit; I went nuts, changed the gearing, modded the rear fender, and did LED everything, even the headlight is one of TruckLights 7in LED units (and awesome btw). And then you'll need gear, a full face (don't bother with the half helmets, how often are you going to slide across pavement on just the top of your head?) helmet can set you back between 300-1200$, then pants and a jacket, gloves, boots, heated gear (for winter).

All said, I'd do it again. Its been great, and even though the 250 is turtle slow by bike standards, its still stupid fast by lifted jeep standards. Even the little 250 will out accelerate (0-60) ~95% of cars on the road, and it's a nice change to make 60mph in 6 seconds instead of the jeeps 15+ seconds. the MPG makes leisure cruising fun instead of wallet draining.

Also the insurance quote I got in FL for the bike was ~30$ a month, and that was with a ton of extra medical coverage and theft coverage.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #26
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Bike, do it.

I got a great deal on my ninja 250, 390miles (yes, really 390 miles), garage kept, not running (idle jet plugged up, few missing parts from the PO trying to fix it and giving up), 1000$. The thing gets 60+ MPG, maintenance is easy, even valve adjustments can be done in under an hour, parts aren't to bad and if you can install a lift you can change a drive chain or tire. Only problem is the bike can become its own money pit; I went nuts, changed the gearing, modded the rear fender, and did LED everything, even the headlight is one of TruckLights 7in LED units (and awesome btw). And then you'll need gear, a full face (don't bother with the half helmets, how often are you going to slide across pavement on just the top of your head?) helmet can set you back between 300-1200$, then pants and a jacket, gloves, boots, heated gear (for winter).

All said, I'd do it again. Its been great, and even though the 250 is turtle slow by bike standards, its still stupid fast by lifted jeep standards. Even the little 250 will out accelerate (0-60) ~95% of cars on the road, and it's a nice change to make 60mph in 6 seconds instead of the jeeps 15+ seconds. the MPG makes leisure cruising fun instead of wallet draining.

Also the insurance quote I got in FL for the bike was ~30$ a month, and that was with a ton of extra medical coverage and theft coverage.

Never spend any more on a helmet than your head is worth

As for other protective When you need to blame someone for sliding across the pavement, it's the Assphalt
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadslram View Post
Never spend any more on a helmet than your head is worth
Yup. The comfort alone is worth the money. Ride a couple of hours with an el cheapo, then try out a nice Shoei or the likes. Night and day.

Invest in at least a decent riding jacket and use it, everytime. One scoot down the pavement without it and you'll wish you had. They're ventilated enough now, that you only get warm setting still, wich is the opposite of what a motorcycle is meant to do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.