License plate photo's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > License plate photo's

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

License plate photo's

I've always wondered whats the purpose for photoshopping out the license plates when posting photo's?

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My guess is paranoia.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
modette
2005 WK 

Of my vehicle so its not easy to find me...if I take one in public and it happens to include someones I don't bother...I don't care not sure why anyone would look up a random person...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I figured anybody driving on the road see's it so whats the point.

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA
I figured anybody driving on the road see's it so whats the point.
I feel the same way but some people are paranoid and others have such a big ego they think someone over the internet would track them down and stalk them cause they showed their license plate. When in reality if they wanna stalk someone they don't need the license plate to do that

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

It can happen, i had a guy on these forums taunting me with a picture he got off my photbucket account.. So i found his Jeep pictures and got his real name on his photo account and managed to track him down to the very house he lived at using google maps and many searchs.

He stopped after that
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan
It can happen, i had a guy on these forums taunting me with a picture he got off my photbucket account.. So i found his Jeep pictures and got his real name on his photo account and managed to track him down to the very house he lived at using google maps and many searchs.

He stopped after that
That can easily be done without a license plate number. You can also file to have the dmv pull your info so only law enforcement can get any info from your license plate number

Unread 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
KMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Of my vehicle so its not easy to find me...if I take one in public and it happens to include someones I don't bother...I don't care not sure why anyone would look up a random person...LOL

THE HEIGHTS AT JACKSON CREEK

because I am an R-Tard.

I try to conduct myself online, just as who I am in person.

o6 LJ see profile...
KMET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
oldmanscherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Usually people are showing off their rides, a plate is an easy thing to trace and easier if you know the right people. If you think people don't troll car forums looking for auto theft victims you're fooling yourself. Depending on the car/truck/bike people might drive a few states away to make it vanish, especially if it's a big ticket car or they know they can part it out quick for big cash. It's a privacy/paranoia thing.
4.5 inch RC lift
32 11.5 bfg muds
oldmanscherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Someone told me once he removed his license during events/trail riding so that his insurance company couldn't verify that it was his vehicle. I don't know how much that matters in reality.
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Because you don't need to be looking at my license plate while surfing the web. It would take an experienced person all of a minute to find out where you live and then things roll downhill from there.

On the road you don't have your computer in front of you and for the most part you won't think to look up someones plate.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've lived in 3 houses, a dorm and 2 apartments in the last 7 years. I'm moving again in July when I close on a house. There's easier targets to stalk out there than me. I don't worry about it. Enough googling can reveal anybody's whereabouts pretty easy. Pirate4x4 could probably find Jimmy Hoffa.

My future FIL has lived in the same house for 25 years. If I stayed put that long I might blur my plates just bc it could come back on me in 10 years or so.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The main good reason I heard about this is when people are setting there builds together, sometimes they show the secret things they have on the vehicle.

"My locks don't work and neither does my ignition so I have this push start under the kick panel."
"Gas shut off valve located here xxxx."

Little things like that is a reason for some, but its still not rocket science.
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
I've always wondered whats the purpose for photoshopping out the license plates when posting photo's?
I did it one time... and I am not sure why.

People have this romantic fantasy that the sites they visit, things they post, and pics they view are anonymous. They go to great lengths to keep themselves believing this. It is all traceable possible to find people though a single post. I just learned of this website that auto archives Every single forum it can find.

I found posts of mine on a failed and defunked site from 2005. The place went under and owner bailed in 2008 ish. Every posted on that site is all logged and searchable on a third party site thats goal is historic internet preservation. that site has like 500 members and it made the archives! So basically... everything you ever post will be on record, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke

I did it one time... and I am not sure why.

People have this romantic fantasy that the sites they visit, things they post, and pics they view are anonymous. They go to great lengths to keep themselves believing this. It is all traceable possible to find people though a single post. I just learned of this website that auto archives Every single forum it can find.

I found posts of mine on a failed and defunked site from 2005. The place went under and owner bailed in 2008 ish. Every posted on that site is all logged and searchable on a third party site thats goal is historic internet preservation. that site has like 500 members and it made the archives! So basically... everything you ever post will be on record, and there is nothing you can do about it.
What's the site?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.