Lets talk Cigars - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Lets talk Cigars

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #46
taythegibs
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleJeeper View Post
Had this beauty last night; Hoyo de Monterrey (Respsado) smoked it down to the nub. I will definitely be picking up a couple more. Started out really peppery then mellowed out with a nice hint of sweetness to it. Only had to ash it once. Then a few on the top shelf of the Humidor that I enjoy (Cain, Artuo Fuente Sun Growns, Gran Habano, Del Sol's)
What humidity% do you keep your humidor at? i noticed in the last pic it said 62% but that seems a tad low to me.

not a cigar but i stopped in the "tobacco shop" and some "local" pipe tobacco caught my eye...i think i might have ruined my pipe with it. the crap tasted like a stale swisher sweet mixed with woodchips....

taythegibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #47
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dunno bout GvilleJeeper, but I try not to go over 65-66%. Any higher and the cigar smokes "wet" IMO.
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #48
DbLTap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe

all of those cigars are pretty much just average cigars worth maybe 5 bucks that are "infused" and put in a fancy tube, then priced ridiculously high. just my opinion. i've tried the gurkha before (got it as a gift).
I have two humidors one keeps my personal stash. In the second box I put a shot glass of flor de cania rum. That suffices when I want a cigar with a little flavor to it. My neighbors rolls his own so I always have that humidor full. That's the advantage of living in Miami .
DbLTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #49
mmasuperman12
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
i have a buddy who also smokes a lot (used to be 2 a day before his wife started to get on him). he got a hold of a cuban and wasn't really impressed. granted, i have never smoked one, but i'm not sure if it will be worth more than the novelty. have you had one?
yes i have had several and never been dissapointed, great flavor. we just finished a box of 25 at my cousins wedding this past weekend.
Jeep drivers who dig Country Music member #12

1998 XJ - beginning the revival.
mmasuperman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #50
DbLTap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasuperman12

yes i have had several and never been dissapointed, great flavor. we just finished a box of 25 at my cousins wedding this past weekend.
The problem is that there way to many counterfeit cubans being sold... There are a lot of good cigars being made ( la flor, perdomo, etc) so you really don't need to smoke a Cuban. That's my 2 cents..
DbLTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #51
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I personally enjoy the occasional Cohiba...... though i don't believe our friends to the south can get them
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #52
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinPhil View Post
I personally enjoy the occasional Cohiba...... though i don't believe our friends to the south can get them
You can get Cohibas in the U.S. IDK if they're the same... but you can buy Cohibas here.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #53
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
You can get Cohibas in the U.S. IDK if they're the same... but you can buy Cohibas here.
Thanks for the info, i don't smoke much and honestly had no idea haha
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #54
GvilleJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taythegibs View Post
What humidity% do you keep your humidor at? i noticed in the last pic it said 62% but that seems a tad low to me.

not a cigar but i stopped in the "tobacco shop" and some "local" pipe tobacco caught my eye...i think i might have ruined my pipe with it. the crap tasted like a stale swisher sweet mixed with woodchips....
Yeah I usually try to keep it around 67%, at the time I took the pic I had just finished adding to my collection so my hygrometer was reading low.

I have found not to be to anal about this though. Anywhere between 60% to 70% especially depending on where you live in the winter time and you will be just fine.
GvilleJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #55
GvilleJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger_Wagon View Post
You can buy Cohibas in the states, but they are of the Dominican variety not Cubanos unless you have connections.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #56
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleJeeper View Post
You can buy Cohibas in the states, but they are of the Dominican variety not Cubanos unless you have connections.
There are a number of sites online that you can order from (mostly in Europe) that will ship Cubans to US customers, and the prices aren't that bad all things considered...
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #57
GvilleJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74 View Post
There are a number of sites online that you can order from (mostly in Europe) that will ship Cubans to US customers, and the prices aren't that bad all things considered...
Yeah I just have a hard time believing some of those sites are legit. Cuban Cigars, especially Cohibas are the most counterfeited cigars out there. Plus you run the risk Customs gets a hold of them and then your out the money you spent plus you may face a fine.
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #58
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Buying from a reputable dealer is the first part (you're right, there ARE alot of fakes out there). Knowing what you're buying is an important part of this...buying Cubans just cuz they're Cubans is stupid and a good way to lose money anyhow. If they get ganked at Customs, they just keep em, but I've never heard of them pressing chargers against the receiver. Some places also still guarantee delivery...if they don't arrive for any reason, they send another shipment.

All this being said, and while there are smokes from Cuba that I do enjoy, there are plenty of other smokes out there that IMO are just as good as Cubans, although different.
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #59
GvilleJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRider74 View Post
Buying from a reputable dealer is the first part (you're right, there ARE alot of fakes out there). Knowing what you're buying is an important part of this...buying Cubans just cuz they're Cubans is stupid and a good way to lose money anyhow. If they get ganked at Customs, they just keep em, but I've never heard of them pressing chargers against the receiver. Some places also still guarantee delivery...if they don't arrive for any reason, they send another shipment.

All this being said, and while there are smokes from Cuba that I do enjoy, there are plenty of other smokes out there that IMO are just as good as Cubans, although different.
I totally agree with you, while I do enjoy some Cubans their are just as many great if not better Cigars being produced from the Dominican, Honduras, etc.

Any recommendations on a legit site? I have been looking at dutyfreecubancigars.com they guarantee shipment to the US in original sealed boxes. I have a few connections here at work with some of our guys who travel to Germany and they bring me back a stick or two now and then, but I would like to get my hands on a box of Behikes or TTT Trinidad. I am not worried about the counterfeit as much, as I know what to look for, but I've just always been scared of the whole Customs deal.
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #60
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The TTT Trinidad's are tasty, as are the Bolivar Belicosas, and I absolutely love the Partagas Series D #4. Sent ya a PM with some info

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.