Let's see pics of your Kayak related Hobby - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Let's see pics of your Kayak related Hobby

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I went sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands off the coast of Seattle/B.C back in '07. I wont say I hated it, but it did not crack up to be what I expected. This is probably more due to the way the trip was carried out than sea kayacking itself. Having vegan tour guides prepare the food didn't help.

I recently went river kayaking up on the New River. Had an absolute blast. Definitely want to get into that more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Gabe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, wubicon. That also gives me some ideas for my crossbar attachments.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

SJones, as I posted in the first post, I've been canoeing for many years, but I don't think I'd like wide open water near as much as I've enjoyed river/creek running so I'd most likely look at sea kayaking like you do.

I'll go ahead and post a pic or two of my yak. Santa just won't allow me to get it wet until it's been officially found under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning.

Since these pics were taken, I've turned the J-Hooks around so that the yaks will be loaded with the cockpit open to the outside of the trailer. I thought that with them turned this way, it would keep the tops from getting splashed with road crap from the tires, but there still seems to be plenty of room to keep them inside the line of the tires. When I put the Jeep fenders on the trailer, I didn't really go for functionality.

I know... it's past time to cut down the banana trees!
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I went sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands off the coast of Seattle/B.C back in '07. I wont say I hated it, but it did not crack up to be what I expected. This is probably more due to the way the trip was carried out than sea kayacking itself. Having vegan tour guides prepare the food didn't help.

I recently went river kayaking up on the New River. Had an absolute blast. Definitely want to get into that more.
You are in prime area for whitewater. I did a excursion up there last year and hit several rivers.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonash View Post
You are in prime area for whitewater. I did a excursion up there last year and hit several rivers.
Yup. NOCs not far and my one gripe about the New River was the lack of any decent rapids. I'd prefer something that keeps me on my toes and keeps the adrenaline up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Yup. NOCs not far and my one gripe about the New River was the lack of any decent rapids. I'd prefer something that keeps me on my toes and keeps the adrenaline up.
Two Words..

Green River....

New River? I didn't run that on my trip.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #22
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I added an electric bilge pump to my kayak. Here's what I have used and have done so far.

Equipment =
1 Rule 500 GPH bilge pump
1 7.5ish amp 12v sealed battery
1 toggle switch
1 flush mount discharge port
3' of 3/4" bilge pump tubing
1 waterproof box from Walmart (WP box)
1 waterproof LED
1 tube JB Waterweld
5' heavy speaker wire
1 can liquid tape

I mounted the WP box and the pump behind the seat. Drilled out and installed the outlet to the right side behind the cockpit so everything involved with the pump is one area, cutting down on long wire runs.
I drilled a hole for the wire to the inside of the WP box as well as drilling a hole for the toggle switch so all I have to do is reach just behind and to the left of my seat and activate the pump. Now, about the LED. I also mounted a 4 set LED pod inside the orange WP box so that when the pump is on, the LED lights up the box. This definitely lights up the inside of the yak, so if I need to be seen at dawn or dusk, I can turn on the pump for a moment to light up the shell of the yak. I have tested the pump to make sure it comes on, but now I'm just giving the JB Weld time to set up before flooding the cockpit to test the efficiency of the setup. I'll post some more pics when I get all components in place. Here are a couple with the wires still stretched out and the pump just sitting on top. You can see where I have the strainer of the pump attached behind the seat.

I'll post some more pics of the pump clearing the cockpit, tomorrow or as soon as I can.
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Why?
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #24
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonash
Why?
If you'd rather pump out a kayak full of water with a hand pump, then carry on, soldier. I'd rather flip a switch and keep on paddling. Second reason is because I can. ;-)
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #25
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
If you'd rather pump out a kayak full of water with a hand pump, then carry on, soldier. I'd rather flip a switch and keep on paddling. Second reason is because I can. ;-)
I'm not knocking what you did.

I guess my question is why not just paddle with a spray skirt on if you have the chance to get that much water in your boat?

Or, do like me and just buy kayaks for every occasion.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #26
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You definitely have a variety of boats. I was a little quick to get on the slight defense after taking pride in my project. I apologize for that. I don't have a spray skirt, and at my age (55) and skill level, I don't plan on getting involved in waterways over about 2.5. I also don't want to be restricted by the skirt. I will be hitting anything below that, and the way my yak is built, it will most likely take on water when it dips in the front. I've read lots of posts from experienced paddlers that thought the electric pump was a good addition to their boat since they don't have to waste energy hand pumping, or time by swimming to the bank to dump it. That's my reasoning. And I also thought it was a pretty cool addon. I also added another dry box directly across from the battery for first aid and a small survivor kit.
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #27
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Very understandable.

I've only run into one occasion where my skirt gave me problems(), and I remember it every time lol.

Edit: I run air bags in the back of mine so it will help float in case of total swamp and less area for water. Also I use different size dry bags for small gear, like first aid kits. I clip them in. Actually I clip everything in. Nothing worse than having to do a wet exit and try and recover all your belongings from a moving waterway.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #28
Wubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

If I put a battery in a Kayak it would be for propulsion also. If you are going to be lazy, go all the way!

Nice project though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #29
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon
If I put a battery in a Kayak it would be for propulsion also. If you are going to be lazy, go all the way! Nice project though. Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Lazy's not all bad.
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #30
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a tandem KON TIKI that we keep on Cape Cod. I carry it on my Suburban (it's 17feet+), with custom flat cushioned rails and a roller to aid in loading and unloading. Works sweet.

We paddle around the ponds and bays on the Cape.

Pete
burb-yak.jpg   yak1.jpg   yak2.jpg  
Laredo, 104K, sunroof, 4.0, selectrac, 3" IRO +10mm, adj trac bar, 265-75-16s Goodyear = DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.