Less ethanol? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Less ethanol?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Less ethanol?

I always heard a rumor that if you get mid-grade or higher gas a "older" style motor(4.0) will run better because it has less ethanol in it. Is this true?

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

depends on where you live and what the gas station sells. check at the station and ask or look at the pumps. most pumps say"may contain 10% ethanol" or"no ethanol". short term you are probably ok, but ethanol can do damage to engines.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
BrandonYJReed
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05
depends on where you live and what the gas station sells. check at the station and ask or look at the pumps. most pumps say"may contain 10% ethanol" or"no ethanol". short term you are probably ok, but ethanol can do damage to engines.
I live by Philadelphia. I normally get gas at Sunoco. I guess I will stick with 89 octane...

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

This is something you need to look into but some companies use ethanol & methanol based compounds (ETBE, MTBE) to increase octane. Higher octane fuel, if not specifically required will yield no benefits, and probably contains more ethanol than a lower octane fuel from the same batch. A batch of gasoline is all equal until specific additives are blended to control the octane level.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Back in Iowa where I'm from a lot of gas stations sell ethanol free gasoline. The non ethanol is 87 Octane and would almost always be .10 more than the ethanol which was 89 octane. I would always use the non ethanol even though it cost slightly more because I would get 17-18 mpg on the highway and would get 14-15 on the highway running the ethanol blend. The Jeep ran the same on both types of fuel but I saved money in the long run with the non ethanol plus I wouldn't have to fill up as often.
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
Ethanol doesn't damage engines, and vehicles made in the last couple decades have fuel systems that are designed for 10% ethanol.

There are a number of reasons ethanol sucks but engine damage isn't one of them.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

although small amounts of ethanol may be okay, i wouldn't say it wouldn't hurt. if that was the case you could put the flex fuel in any vehicle and be ok and the warranty on your boat wouldn't be voided if they found it in your gas tank. you can always ask the people who work on lawn mowers and trimmers for what it does on those and try and figure out how long it would take to do it to yours. most places sell e10 which is 10% volume ethanol. that means if the tank they fill(in the ground, not your tank) is 1000 gallons, 100 gallons is straight ethanol. if you really are still curious, look into how they make ethanol and you might figure out why sometimes after you gas up, your jeep doesn't want to start of runs funny for a while.
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05
although small amounts of ethanol may be okay, i wouldn't say it wouldn't hurt. if that was the case you could put the flex fuel in any vehicle and be ok and the warranty on your boat wouldn't be voided if they found it in your gas tank. you can always ask the people who work on lawn mowers and trimmers for what it does on those and try and figure out how long it would take to do it to yours. most places sell e10 which is 10% volume ethanol. that means if the tank they fill(in the ground, not your tank) is 1000 gallons, 100 gallons is straight ethanol. if you really are still curious, look into how they make ethanol and you might figure out why sometimes after you gas up, your jeep doesn't want to start of runs funny for a while.
Car != lawn mower/trimmer/boat. Again, vehicles made I the past couple decades have fuel systems designed for 10% ethanol just like flex crap cars are designed for 85%.

If you want an argument against ethanol argue the economics of it. Or of course the lower energy density compared gasoline. As a performance fuel though pure ethanol is better because of its high octane properties.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

just my.02, i don't like puttin water in my gas tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.