Legal advice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Legal advice

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryftmfw

That was almost 2 weeks ago so I'm sure now he'll want even more... And I'm pretty hurting cause iv got the house and a wedding dec 31's to pay for lol
Ah... In that case you need to play detective my friend. Find out that shop and go to the police and ask them your options BEFORE you go to the shop by yourself. If you get heated and he knows the cops are coming, he can plan for it and tie you up. :/

elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino

Ah... In that case you need to play detective my friend. Find out that shop and go to the police and ask them your options BEFORE you go to the shop by yourself. If you get heated and he knows the cops are coming, he can plan for it and tie you up. :/
Ill try and do that, if the cops do show up and its a side shop that isn't certified can he keep my jeep even tho it's in my name? Also in you honest opinion should it take 3+ weeks to fix some timing chain guides and fish parts out of an oil pan?
Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:

Ill try and do that, if the cops do show up and its a side shop that isn't certified can he keep my jeep even tho it's in my name?
Well then likely not. That would be theft. I was thinking if its a legit shop he could say it has a lien on it or something. My buddy owns a tow company back home and screwing people is quite easy. But if its a side shop, the cops can put the pressure on him since he likely doesn't have a tax ID, business license, etc. and he will be lucky to just cut his losses and give it back to you.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino

Well then likely not. That would be theft. I was thinking if its a legit shop he could say it has a lien on it or something. My buddy owns a tow company back home and screwing people is quite easy. But if its a side shop, the cops can put the pressure on him since he likely doesn't have a tax ID, business license, etc. and he will be lucky to just cut his losses and give it back to you.
I'm going to talk to my buddy that recommended him and see if he can tell me if it's a side shop or not, I'd hate to get him in any legal heat but if he gives me no thee choice I won't think twice, and if he gets pinned with theft by deception than that's a 1-10 year sentence.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:

I'm going to talk to my buddy that recommended him and see if he can tell me if it's a side shop or not, I'd hate to get him in any legal heat but if he gives me no thee choice I won't think twice, and if he gets pinned with theft by deception than that's a 1-10 year sentence.
Like I said, just roll up with the cops. If its in a warehouse and he knows they are coming, he can close the doors and say he has no idea what you are talking about.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #21
Star

If it weren't so late I'd tell you to go to the Police now, and let them listen to your conversation. Hey wait a second what's that thing called a reverse directory that you use to find addresses if you have the phone number?
I think your friends full of it if he says he doesn't know where this guy is
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
If it weren't so late I'd tell you to go to the Police now, and let them listen to your conversation. Hey wait a second what's that thing called a reverse directory that you use to find addresses if you have the phone number?
I think your friends full of it if he says he doesn't know where this guy is
He could be, thank god iv got all my texts saved
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #23
chowner
2014 WK 

Everyone text this guy now that the number is out there

Sorry about your situation and sorry about having an iPhone
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #24
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner
Everyone text this guy now that the number is out there

Sorry about your situation and sorry about having an iPhone
Great idea lol and I love my iphone
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #25
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Update: so iv talked to this guy yesterday, he came clean and told me he hasn't done anything to the jeep except clean the engine and the 2 hours of "prep work", I told him I need my jeep now to get it to a real shop, he still wants the 200$ so looks like ill just have to pay him, on top of it he refused to bring it back to town so iv got to pay to have it towed back, funny thing is we work in the same place and the shop it's going to is a mile down the road... Looks like this is a $200 lesson iv got to learn.
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Pay him for the tow and thats it.

IMO the rest is on him for being a flake and you now have to shell out for another tow. He also has zero recourse if you don't want to pay him.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #27
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
Pay him for the tow and thats it.

IMO the rest is on him for being a flake and you now have to shell out for another tow. He also has zero recourse if you don't want to pay him.
I had to pay him to get the address of the shop, I'm thinking of taking him to court if it turns out he didn't do a single thing
Unread 12-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #28
Star

I know paying $200.00 for probably nothing besides for a tow sucks at this time of year, and you're moving to boot. However it's a relatively cheap lesson learned, and could've be worse. I saw one guy put the throttle down on a car until it blew up because a customer didn't do what he wanted, and some other things. Take a good look around the truck in, and out for any damage done. I'm sorry to be so negative, but this guy doesn't seem to be the cooperative type. Notify the mechanic this vehicle is taken to when this motor comes apart I'd look for the pieces of timing parts, and anything else that may have been put in there. He probably knows the other guy, and might have an idea if he's the type to do something like this. I wish I was close by I'd help you out personally I hate when people in my field make us all look bad. I hope this turns out ok, the move goes smoothly, and you enjoy the rest of your holiday season.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

So I get the jeep to a actual shop, this is how the *** hole left my jeep and yea that looks like a 200$ worth of power washing right.
image-471082555.jpg   image-3846170703.jpg   image-563279990.jpg   image-1829667198.jpg  
Unread 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #30
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So you paid him?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.